Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

When does the check in deck open in IAH for flights to Auckland

Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone

Anyone thats travelled Iah to akl can tell me what time the airNZ check in counter opens

Boarding pass say check in closes at 5:50pm but what time do they open

Thank you
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: NZ Koru
It will be 3hours before departure, maybe 4 hours
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I've flown through there a few times (last time was 18 months ago however) and it's always been 3 hours.

On my last two trips I've ended up having to hang around for a while before it opened due to timings with dropping off a rental car and was really surprised how many people were there early.. Maybe that's normal in some places, but I normally don't get to an airport that early!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I've flown through there a few times (last time was 18 months ago however) and it's always been 3 hours.

On my last two trips I've ended up having to hang around for a while before it opened due to timings with dropping off a rental car and was really surprised how many people were there early.. Maybe that's normal in some places, but I normally don't get to an airport that early!
I was wondering the same about ORD...(sorry to hijack a little!)

We got in on the ORD-SYD deal but are based in NYC. We're flying into ORD the night before, staying at the ORD Hilton. Because we can't get NZ BPs until the counter opens (I suspect we will not be allowed OLCI given that it's our first time flying NZ), we can't use the Polaris lounge in T1 until we have BPs in hand. Going from T5 to T1 then back to T5 is a schlep, but worth it IMO for the Polaris lounge...but if NZ check-in only opens 3 hours before flight time, that will kind of make it hard to enjoy the lounge much...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I can't see why there would be any restrictions on OLCI just because it's your first time flying NZ - the big question is whether TSA or the lounge will accept OLCI or a phone boarding pass at ORD.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

So 3 hrs before departure time? So really an hr before check in closes?
hummm really doesnt give you much time to enjoy Polaris Lounge

Sbiddle, any idea how long it take to walk from terminal D to E?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
I can't see why there would be any restrictions on OLCI just because it's your first time flying NZ - the big question is whether TSA or the lounge will accept OLCI or a phone boarding pass at ORD.
Mobile boarding passes are ubiquitous in the US. This won't be an issue.
samyoull likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by Melia

That's plenty of time in a lounge, even Polaris.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
In my experience, airlines want to physically see your passport the first time you fly them, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly. TSA and the lounge don't matter; they will accept a mobile BP. The issue is getting it in the first place...
chitink likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by as219
In my experience, airlines want to physically see your passport the first time you fly them, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly. TSA and the lounge don't matter; they will accept a mobile BP. The issue is getting it in the first place...
NZ are fine doing this at the gate - issue is sometimes they won't actually check you in online (had this happen last time I flew ex-SFO)
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by Melia

walk time inside secure area is 5-10 minutes tops depending on which E gate you are going to. D security dumps out across hall from E security.
Melia likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by as219
I was wondering the same about ORD...(sorry to hijack a little!)

We got in on the ORD-SYD deal but are based in NYC. We're flying into ORD the night before, staying at the ORD Hilton. Because we can't get NZ BPs until the counter opens (I suspect we will not be allowed OLCI given that it's our first time flying NZ), we can't use the Polaris lounge in T1 until we have BPs in hand. Going from T5 to T1 then back to T5 is a schlep, but worth it IMO for the Polaris lounge...but if NZ check-in only opens 3 hours before flight time, that will kind of make it hard to enjoy the lounge much...
Does UA let you access the Polaris lounge from connecting airports when you're travelling on another carrier's ticket stock? Their website seems to indicate not - you may only have access at IAH.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Collierkr

walk time inside secure area is 5-10 minutes tops depending on which E gate you are going to. D security dumps out across hall from E security.
Originally Posted by samyoull
That's plenty of time in a lounge, even Polaris.
true but we will arrive around 2pm
so was hoping we didnt have to wait around for the counter to open for too long
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by kyanar
Does UA let you access the Polaris lounge from connecting airports when you're travelling on another carrier's ticket stock? Their website seems to indicate not - you may only have access at IAH.
nope. Must have UA boarding pass.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Originally Posted by Collierkr

nope. Must have UA boarding pass.
I could be wrong bit I think this poster is on ORD-AKL... Not IAH-AKL. If on ORD-AKL, this poster WOULD get access to polaris lounge at ORD with a ANZ boarding pass .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.