Is visa required ?

Old Jan 17, 19, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Is visa required ?

If you are traveling akl to Japan then staying in shanghaI for 24hrs before going to akl do you need a Chinese visa?
Old Jan 17, 19, 5:39 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
As long as your incoming flight and outgoing flight are not from the same country you will be fine.

Chinese immigration won't care whether Tokyo is deemed the final destination of your trip or a transit point.
samyoull likes this.
Old Jan 17, 19, 10:38 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
OP. Hopefully the airline staff you checkin with in Japan for the Japan-China sector is well informed on Chinese TWOV rules. Bringing a copy of relevant information could be useful.

My son flying AKL-PEK (48hrs stop)-ICN on SQ was initially denied checkin as he didnít have a visa for China. Despite having copies of all of the information on The 72hours TWOV, staff refused to check him in. He called me, and I spoke with supervisor and it was sorted out. This was in 2015 and SQ was selected as a carrier as we assumed staff would have greater familiarity with TWOV than some other carriers.
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:33 am

Programs: NZ Koru
NZ checkís visa information against this database tool https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/tima...y-requirements

Its pretty useful to check what requirements are based on your passport, and youíll know the same infomation that check-in staff will have access too.
Old Jan 17, 19, 11:41 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
As pointed out not all airline ground staff (and airlines) are aware of the Chinese TWOV. Even two years ago when I was there a friend only just managed to board an Emirates flight in Paris (to PEK via DXB) because he managed to convince ground staff there that at least DXB could deal with the issue - and then encountered the exact same issues in DXB where ground staff refused to let him board.

The Emirates check-in system refused to allow boarding with no Chinese Visa and front line ground staff at both locations had no knowledge of the TWOV and there was no reference at all to it on the Emirates systems.

I also had an interesting discussion as to whether I could get away with a 3 day visit without a Visa as I flew AKL-HKG-PEK-HKG-AKL with a stopover for the weekend in HKG on the way but I was only in transit in HKG on the way back to technically my entry point into China was via HKG but my final destination was AKL.

After an initial discussion with the Chinese Embassy in NZ they said there was no need for a Visa.. But then changed their mind and said that it might be advisable to get one.. And then couldn't really decide if I needed one or not. I decided the safest way was to get one - but then wasn't game enough to head to Shenzhen from Hong Kong for a night as I was worried they'd activate my single entry Visa rather than the special Shenzhen 5 day VOA.
Old Jan 17, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
the whole China thing with varying visa/TWOV requirements depending on the city is a mess
Old Jan 17, 19, 2:59 pm
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
As this is more a China issue than anything to do with Air NZ we’ll close the thread at this point and direct the OP to a very useful thread on TWOV in our China forum.

China 24, 72, and 144 hour Transit Without Visa ("TWOV") rules master thread

/mod

Search this Thread