Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

How much time in a schedule change will allow me to request an earlier flight?

Old Jan 15, 19, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know how much of a schedule change (how many minutes or hours) before Air New Zealand will permit a free flight change or a refund? They have advised me of a 15 minute change (later), which is miniscule. But I'd really like to go on an earlier flight which was more expensive to book.

I've referred to their Conditions of Carriage (https://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/PDFs/...iage-nov18.pdf) but it doesn't indicate any kind of cut-off.
Old Jan 15, 19, 9:11 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
Originally Posted by tuxedo66 View Post
Does anyone know how much of a schedule change (how many minutes or hours) before Air New Zealand will permit a free flight change or a refund? They have advised me of a 15 minute change (later), which is miniscule. But I'd really like to go on an earlier flight which was more expensive to book.

I've referred to their Conditions of Carriage (https://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/PDFs/...iage-nov18.pdf) but it doesn't indicate any kind of cut-off.
Just tell them it's too late and to put you on the earlier flight. I've done this before many times. I've even moved a flight to one much later in the day.
Old Jan 15, 19, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Just tell them it's too late and to put you on the earlier flight. I've done this before many times. I've even moved a flight to one much later in the day.
Thanks. I guess I can only try. I feel a bit silly because it is only 15 minutes later. They can only say "No".
Old Jan 15, 19, 10:08 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Moderator note.

I moved this from an addition to a much older thread to its own, new thread, as ANZ practices many years ago were likely much different than those today re schedule changes. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Jan 15, 19, 10:39 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Gold, EK Gold, Amex Plat, SPG Gold, Accor Gold

What fare type? International or Domestic?
Old Jan 16, 19, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WLG Base View Post
What fare type? International or Domestic?
International Tasman (AKL-SYD) on one of the cheapest Seat Only fare. I don't have a high status with the airline (Silver). I'm not the pushy type to try my luck calling in.

I know with more significant changes, the schedule change notification came with an invitation to ring in if the new time doesn't suit. For this minor one, they didn't. Just wondering if anyone knows their "cut-off".

I know for AirAsia, their cut-off is about 50 minutes. For any reschedule above that, they've always offered me full refund, credit or a change (except once in a known reschedule beyond their control where it was only a credit or a change ... Singapore Changi Airport was closed for military exercise).
Old Jan 18, 19, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Thanks very much Rebound. I rang them and they gladly put me on an earlier flight even though the schedule change was very small. I asked what the policy was, whether there was a cut-off time. She said even with a five minute change, they allow rebook on request, which surprised me a little.

I've had Air New Zealand bigger schedule changes before. They were accompanied by a link for managing the booking (rebook) or an invitation to phone in if the new schedule was unsuitable. For this minor one, there was no such thing, so it led me to assume it was "take it or leave it". But I was wrong. You don't ask, you don't get.

The new flight had just been downgauged from a B777 to an A320 so the price had more than doubled as well. So the 30 minutes spent on hold (speakerphone) was well worth it.
Old Jan 18, 19, 3:21 am

Programs: NZ*GE
Thanks very much Rebound. I rang them and they gladly put me on an earlier flight even though the schedule change was very small. I asked what the policy was, whether there was a cut-off time. She said even with a five minute change, they allow rebook on request, which surprised me a little.

I've had Air New Zealand bigger schedule changes before. They were accompanied by a link for managing the booking (rebook) or an invitation to phone in if the new schedule was unsuitable. For this minor one, there was no such thing, so it led me to assume it was "take it or leave it". But I was wrong. You don't ask, you don't get.

The new flight had just been downgauged from a B777 to an A320 so the price had more than doubled as well. So the 30 minutes spent on hold (speakerphone) was well worth it.
Well done mate
Old Jan 18, 19, 3:37 am
Original Poster

In case anyone is interested in the pricing dynamics of a downgauge from a B777 to A320 from Auckland to Sydney:

- The price of my new flight was around $180 seat-only on the 777.
- When it was downgauged to A320, it went up to around $380 I think, and that's when the airline rebooked me.
- My rebooking must have snapped up the last reasonably priced seat.
- The cheapest flight for that flight in May is now $796 seat-only.
- Ouch!
Old Jan 18, 19, 4:51 am

I asked what the policy was, whether there was a cut-off time. She said even with a five minute change, they allow rebook on request, which surprised me a little.
While they have done it on this occasion I would 100% not rely on it. It's not documented anywhere (as I understand) and so depends on the agent you get on the day. I have had many schedule changes before and find that generally the minimum schedule change that they will let you amend the booking for is 15 minutes, then you can change to any flight on that day.

If the alternative flights due to the schedule change are unacceptable they will actually refund a non-refundable ticket for as little as a 5 minute change, but they will need to confirm with a supervisor and it will be issued as a fare held in credit for later re-booking (not as a refund back to your card).
Old Jan 18, 19, 9:32 am

Programs: Kimpton IC, SW CP
I just had a similar change but with the added impact that the A320 service doesn't have Business Premier, only Economy. I'm booked SYD-AKL-LAX and the SYD-AKL looks like the last flight of the day. I don't particularly want to move to an earlier flight. Would it be worth asking if I could move to a set of flights the following day? The midday flight appears to be the only service not on the A320.
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codyc1515 View Post
While they have done it on this occasion I would 100% not rely on it. It's not documented anywhere (as I understand) and so depends on the agent you get on the day. I have had many schedule changes before and find that generally the minimum schedule change that they will let you amend the booking for is 15 minutes, then you can change to any flight on that day.

If the alternative flights due to the schedule change are unacceptable they will actually refund a non-refundable ticket for as little as a 5 minute change, but they will need to confirm with a supervisor and it will be issued as a fare held in credit for later re-booking (not as a refund back to your card).
Thanks for the additional insight. It all helps to build up a more complete picture. I've had a larger schedule change before and they offered a refund to my card ... so I guess there will be various cut-off in their procedures for allowing a re-book (or not), allowing a credit vs allowing a full refund. Cheers.

Search this Thread