Linked Bookings - No FF Seating

Old Jan 14, 19, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Linked Bookings - No FF Seating

In the past if Iíve had someone on a separate ticket but same flight Iíve always called NZ to link bookings and then theyíve been able to allocate that person a seat in FF seating with me.

However tried this twice recently and an adamant no both times. Latest time today I was told there is a policy that pax travelling with FFíers can only get access to FF seating zone if booked together. No exceptions.

Maybe Iíve just got lucky previously but seems a pretty pointless policy otherwise
Old Jan 14, 19, 11:00 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
In the past if Iíve had someone on a separate ticket but same flight Iíve always called NZ to link bookings and then theyíve been able to allocate that person a seat in FF seating with me.

However tried this twice recently and an adamant no both times. Latest time today I was told there is a policy that pax travelling with FFíers can only get access to FF seating zone if booked together. No exceptions.

Maybe Iíve just got lucky previously but seems a pretty pointless policy otherwise
I know my other half was able to be seated with her FF colleague at the end of last year, but that may have been done at the airport/lounge
Old Jan 15, 19, 12:31 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by brenrox View Post
I know my other half was able to be seated with her FF colleague at the end of last year, but that may have been done at the airport/lounge
I do this quite often for domestic - partner and I typically on separate bookings, and at lounge or premium desk there is no issue in getting him moved to FF seating (I think we've done a couple times for international but less sure on that)
Old Jan 15, 19, 1:05 am

The offical policy is actually listed on the Air NZ Agency Hub:

https://www.airnzagent.co.nz/prepay-seat-select-faqs

"What happens when a Gold/Elite/Koru member is travelling with a non Gold/Elite/Koru member?
For these passengers the following options will exist:
  • Seat together outside the HVC zone
  • Use Paid Seat Select to purchase seats together
The only exception to the above is where a G/GE/K is travelling and has an immediate family member that was unable to be booked in the same PNR and is on the same flight and where you can contact Agency Support Team to request seating in the HVC zone

Furthermore we strongly recommend that if non HVCís want to access our premium seating zones with an HVC colleague they should all book in the same PNR together, whereby they will all get access to the HVC seating benefits."
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 15, 19, 2:21 am

Iíve done this for my wife multiple times and never had it declined. Iíve usually explained that the FA booked on separate PNRs or that had to book separately on different PNRs for reimbursement purposes and itís never been a problem. Now she is my Elite Partner it shouldnít be necessary as she is entitled to HVC seating in her own right.
Old Jan 18, 19, 6:04 am

I've never been declined this via. the call centre and have done so many times on separate bookings. You may get a different answer if trying to do so within the 24-hours immediately preceding your flight, but I can't be sure of this.
Old Jan 24, 19, 3:49 pm

Maybe I’ve just got lucky previously but seems a pretty pointless policy otherwise
Ditto. It seems a bit daft as in the vast majority of cases the person accompanying will be taking a middle seat, and I'd expect in most cases that HVCs would choose a non-middle non-HVC seat over a middle HVC seat if that is all that is left. So all that ends up happening is Airport Control filling that HVC middle seat with a non-HVC come T-72.
Old Jan 24, 19, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
So all that ends up happening is Airport Control filling that HVC middle seat with a non-HVC come T-72.
Or HVCs who haven't selected a seat.

Though people do pick the middle seats as I do see the ones next to me get selected on seat map (prior to airport control) and when on the flight clear the people don't know each other
Old Jan 24, 19, 4:17 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Why should non HVCs even get HVC seating? It's bad enough now TT when you can't even get a HVC seat a few months out on some flights.
​​​​​​
HVC could always sit in the non HVC area with their non HVC travel colleague if they want to sit together..
Old Jan 24, 19, 5:58 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Why should non HVCs even get HVC seating? It's bad enough now TT when you can't even get a HVC seat a few months out on some flights.
​​​​​​
HVC could always sit in the non HVC area with their non HVC travel colleague if they want to sit together..
With that logic, you shouldn't be allowed to guest non-FFs in to the lounge with you either....which would be absurd, just like the not being able to sit together on the flight.
Old Jan 24, 19, 6:34 pm

With that logic, you shouldn't be allowed to guest non-FFs in to the lounge with you either....which would be absurd, just like the not being able to sit together on the flight.
The lounge is +1. Can +8 into HVC seats (can get 9 people on a booking)
Old Jan 25, 19, 8:17 pm

Was reminded of a gripe today on +1 is the HVC seating, the HVC person bragging to their +1 about HVC seat benefits like more leg room, if in row 1 get a personal safety demo etc.
Old Jan 25, 19, 9:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
The WLG intl lounge routinely prohibits any guests or the use of lounge vouchers, even after the refurb last year to add more capacity.

Not allowing non HVCs in HVC seating doesn't stop people sitting together so I'm not sure how the word absurd can be used.
Old Jan 27, 19, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by codyc1515 View Post
I've never been declined this via. the call centre and have done so many times on separate bookings. You may get a different answer if trying to do so within the 24-hours immediately preceding your flight, but I can't be sure of this.
Scratch this. I had to do this just the other day and had to get escalated to a supervisor as the CSR did not know how to do it. I was informed that they were only happy to do this as I was a "Silver Koru" member ???

Search this Thread