Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AKL 1 hour Int'l to Int'l transit.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It's also worth pointing out that US evening flights very rarely ever leave on time. Typically 30 mins+ after scheduled departure isn't uncommon
samyoull, cavemanzk and Tag1987 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
If the queue for transit security isn't long you will be fine. AKL international connections are usually in lowish numbers but If you get in at the same time as the SCL-AKL-SYD flight in the morning the queue for transit security can be very long.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
If you make it to US screening they'll hold the flight anyway - and if they're on final call you'll be whisked to the front of that queue (saw this happen with IAH passengers the other day while I was waiting to board NZ8)
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer

NOTE Melia that when I check in at AKL for my USA flights if I'm in J (or I have access to the priority check-in area through other means) I can get a little sticker on my passport which expedites the annoying (and I agree... what feels like is pretty much pointless) interview. In AKL you can take it in-advance in the check-in area.
Can you provide any more information about this? While catching up with a friend in Auckland yesterday who travels at least once a month I mentioned this.. He laughed and said there is no such thing.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Can you provide any more information about this? While catching up with a friend in Auckland yesterday who travels at least once a month I mentioned this.. He laughed and said there is no such thing.
There's a new system out at the far gates - there's one big line to get to the point where they split between premium/non premium pax. You don't need the sticker, *G/J (and maybe PE?) boarding pass is fine.

You still do the same stupid screening where they ask you seven times if you packed your own bags and look at you with a look of amazement when they see you've crossed the pacific a dozen times in the last year - you just get to do it a little quicker.

They don't actually start boarding until around 15min after the posted boarding time, I got in line for secondary screening at the boarding time, got through the interview and walked up to the GA to ask when boarding was - they scanned my BP and I was first on.

I'd probably give it a bit more time if you get SSSS'd, but that's a different story.
Silver Fox and Melia like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by samyoull
There's a new system out at the far gates - there's one big line to get to the point where they split between premium/non premium pax. You don't need the sticker, *G/J (and maybe PE?) boarding pass is fine.

You still do the same stupid screening where they ask you seven times if you packed your own bags and look at you with a look of amazement when they see you've crossed the pacific a dozen times in the last year - you just get to do it a little quicker.

They don't actually start boarding until around 15min after the posted boarding time, I got in line for secondary screening at the boarding time, got through the interview and walked up to the GA to ask when boarding was - they scanned my BP and I was first on.

I'd probably give it a bit more time if you get SSSS'd, but that's a different story.

Ahh I'll well aware of that and have already had multiple flights with secondary screening in place.

I'm wanting to know more the questioning at premium check-in mentioned above which allows you to bypass the secondary screening.. Or have I misinterpreted what kiwifrequentflyer is saying?
samyoull likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Ahh I'll well aware of that and have already had multiple flights with secondary screening in place.

I'm wanting to know more the questioning at premium check-in mentioned above which allows you to bypass the secondary screening.. Or have I misinterpreted what kiwifrequentflyer is saying?
I don't see how that would work - there's no bypass lane available at the US pier, for one - and J check in would have to have the third party screeners floating around, it's already busy enough as it is.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:42 pm

I had the option to complete check-in questioning at the premium check-in area in June last year. The third party security outfit had someone posted by the bag drop injectors at the back of the premium check-in area; it was very much a case of knowing to go over there to complete the questioning or having a check-in agent point you over. They ask you the questions and put the sticker on your passport. You still have to queue up at the Pier B screening point but there are less questions (on the basis that you've already asked and answered them at time of check-in).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Top of climb
I had the option to complete check-in questioning at the premium check-in area in June last year. The third party security outfit had someone posted by the bag drop injectors at the back of the premium check-in area; it was very much a case of knowing to go over there to complete the questioning or having a check-in agent point you over. They ask you the questions and put the sticker on your passport. You still have to queue up at the Pier B screening point but there are less questions (on the basis that you've already asked and answered them at time of check-in).
This is much the same as how it's done at other ports (e.g. LHR/CDG/FRA/etc) when heading to the US: the check-in based security agent will put a sticker on your passport (mine is covered in them), and then your passport is given a quick visual at the gate. If no sticker, you're referred to the security agent. If sticker, you get to pass go.

For reference - UA916 earlier in January the agent (at least in the Premier Access area) at check-in asked me the pointless questions, plus a few value-not-added even sillier questions, and then stickered me. At the US pier entrance I was just waved through with my BP + passport cover - although there was no significant queue.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:31 pm

I went to IAH (J) in November and at Premium Checkin the agent asked me my US address, why I was going etc and I thought at the time it was a little odd as haven’t been asked such questions for nonUS flights. When I reached Secondary Screening I was through in under 60seconds - only asked if I was traveling in a group and whether packed my own bags - I didn’t see a sticker but I felt that I might have been precleared.
Melia likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drajknox
I went to IAH (J) in November and at Premium Checkin the agent asked me my US address, why I was going etc and I thought at the time it was a little odd as haven’t been asked such questions for nonUS flights. When I reached Secondary Screening I was through in under 60seconds - only asked if I was traveling in a group and whether packed my own bags - I didn’t see a sticker but I felt that I might have been precleared.
it does all sound very pointless
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Yeah as others said, here is how it works.

You check in at the premium purple room which I do think is pretty cool. If you walk to the back of the room there will be a staff member who can assist you, at least they were at the back of the check in room last I was there.

They will then go through the little interview with you. I can't remember what they ask. Very basic questions. They then put a little sticker on your passport or ticket, I can't remember which for sure. You definitely got a sticker. A premium ticket wasn't enough. This isn't about showing you are a priority passenger, its literally to show you have already been asked the questions and everyone, no matter their status, is required to answer the questions. And so if you skip it in the premium check in area, you will have to do it later.
​​​​​​
Like everyone, you must go through AKL INT security. You must then go to the gate and enter the interview queue for the USA flights. When you do, you'll be put into smaller lines/queues to be questioned by an attendant. They didn't use to split the line, there used to be just one, so I am very happy for that change.

​​​​When you encounter your first attendant, show them your sticker and say you've been questioned. I was then put into a queue and got asked way less questions than everyone else and go through it much faster.

Is it a big deal? No. But is it nice to have one less little bit of stressful queuing when traveling? Absolutely. Especially because while the general attendants are perfectly nice, the Air NZ staff in the premium area just make you feel super at home and welcome, and so it's nicer to take it there for sure.

But tbh I almost missed it. I now know to do it but the first time I think they just had a sign up saying "USA passengers come here." No one told me to go, I just happened to notice the sign and inquired, and was then told I could do the interview there. So I am not surprised if it isn't well known.
Melia and samyoull like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Yeah as others said, here is how it works.

You check in at the premium purple room which I do think is pretty cool. If you walk to the back of the room there will be a staff member who can assist you, at least they were at the back of the check in room last I was there.

They will then go through the little interview with you. I can't remember what they ask. Very basic questions. They then put a little sticker on your passport or ticket, I can't remember which for sure. You definitely got a sticker. A premium ticket wasn't enough. This isn't about showing you are a priority passenger, its literally to show you have already been asked the questions and everyone, no matter their status, is required to answer the questions. And so if you skip it in the premium check in area, you will have to do it later.
​​​​​​
Like everyone, you must go through AKL INT security. You must then go to the gate and enter the interview queue for the USA flights. When you do, you'll be put into smaller lines/queues to be questioned by an attendant. They didn't use to split the line, there used to be just one, so I am very happy for that change.

​​​​When you encounter your first attendant, show them your sticker and say you've been questioned. I was then put into a queue and got asked way less questions than everyone else and go through it much faster.

Is it a big deal? No. But is it nice to have one less little bit of stressful queuing when traveling? Absolutely. Especially because while the general attendants are perfectly nice, the Air NZ staff in the premium area just make you feel super at home and welcome, and so it's nicer to take it there for sure.

But tbh I almost missed it. I now know to do it but the first time I think they just had a sign up saying "USA passengers come here." No one told me to go, I just happened to notice the sign and inquired, and was then told I could do the interview there. So I am not surprised if it isn't well known.
Do they actually write down your answers etc
maybe by the time we travel they will realise it’s all abit silly and time consuming and abolish it
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
While I think the interview is silly I see why it is done and am perhaps a bit more sympathetic than others here. Its not the type of interview where they want to note down what you say, it's the type of interview where they want to see if you say the wrong thing and thus be screened further.

Its pretty easy for us over in this side to take security for granted. When I left Israel on my recent trip, we all had to pass the questioning phase. No ones answers were written down but if you failed you got sent to the extra screening line - like I did and given my itinerary I wasn't surprised.

​​​Is it overkill... Probably. But its not that bad unless you don't know about it in advance. If you aren't expecting it (like I wasn't first time) being hit with another sudden queue is not a fun surprise!

Given the political climate of the USA right now it's not going anywhere. This is the USA requiring this, not the NZ government introducing it. And why would the USA care if they burden other airports in separate countries? Haha. I can imagine Donald Trump would not shed a tear at all!
samyoull and Melia like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:40 am

This is the USA requiring this, not the NZ government introducing it. And why would the USA care if they burden other airports in separate countries?
Exactly - and the NZ version is far nicer than what I've experienced at LHR/FRA/MUC. There's loads of threads on that elsewhere on FT though.
Melia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.