Wiki Posts
Search

AKL 1 hour Int'l to Int'l transit.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

AKL 1 hour Int'l to Int'l transit.

Hi guys

We are flying as a family from Adelaide to Houston J class, the transit is only 1hr in Auckland before we need to hop on the flight to Houston
We have always had at least 2 hr transit times when flying to LAX so have always enjoyed the lounge for a hot shower before our red eye

My question is, is this even enough time to get off the plane and go through security. Has anyone missed their connecting flights ?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If ADL-AKL-IAH is booked as 1 ticket Air NZ consider you have enough time.
Will be an airside transit & security. Reads as if you have done the AKL airside transit before.
Melia and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Melia
Hi guys

We are flying as a family from Adelaide to Houston J class, the transit is only 1hr in Auckland before we need to hop on the flight to Houston
We have always had at least 2 hr transit times when flying to LAX so have always enjoyed the lounge for a hot shower before our red eye

My question is, is this even enough time to get off the plane and go through security. Has anyone missed their connecting flights ?
Minimum connecting time in Auckland for INT to INT flights is 55 mins, so you're outside of that and will be fine. If you have any delays on the ADL-AKL sector and for some reason miss the AKL-IAH flight, as with any airline, you'll be reaccommodated.
Melia likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Will be an airside transit & security. Reads as if you have done the AKL airside transit before.
Yes booked as one ticket, just seems very rushed to me
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.

You won't be rushed at all, but you probably won't have time for the lounge - deplane, quick security check, head to the US pier for US specific security interviewing and then board for IAH.
Melia likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
You have more than enough time. You're landing in the international terminal so you won't need to clear security again. You just need to walk to your gate. Don't be too slow about it: remember that the USA has extra security you need to clear at the gate. Still plenty of time.

I also prefer longer connections to give me some downtime in the lounges... but most PAX don't have access to a lounge and aren't flying in J so prefer the least waiting possible. And, of course, the Auckland lounge is horrendously cramped. So I'd count the short connection as a blessing.
Silver Fox and Melia like this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:57 pm

Only the one non stop from ADL to AKL and only one AKL to IAH. So it that or overnight in AKL or overnight in SYD or MEL to get one of the mid afternoon arrivals.
1 hour is enough time AKL.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
You have more than enough time. You're landing in the international terminal so you won't need to clear security again. You just need to walk to your gate.
OP still needs to clear transit security.

Remember that very significant numbers of people connect through to IAH from Australia - in some cases over 30% of the flight. Many of these will be connecting with around 60 mins to 90 mins tops from Australia.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AviationNZ
Minimum connecting time in Auckland for INT to INT flights is 55 mins, so you're outside of that and will be fine. If you have any delays on the ADL-AKL sector and for some reason miss the AKL-IAH flight, as with any airline, you'll be reaccommodated.
Originally Posted by samyoull
You won't be rushed at all, but you probably won't have time for the lounge - deplane, quick security check, head to the US pier for US specific security interviewing and then board for IAH.
Has this increased since April 2018, I remember last time was just a extra bag check before boarding our flight to LAX
Old Jan 14, 2019, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

[QUOTE=sbiddle;30654825]OP still needs to clear transit security.

Remember that very significant numbers of people connect through to IAH from Australia - in some cases over 30% of the flight. Many of these will be connecting with around 60 mins to 90 mins tops from Australia

Oh wow never took much notice
that is a significant amount of ppl connecting
Old Jan 14, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red

Has this increased since April 2018, I remember last time was just a extra bag check before boarding our flight to LAX

There is now extra security at the gates - you get a (seemingly pointless) 'interview', or you may be selected for SSSS additional screening (for explosives, carry-on rummaged through etc). I got the latter; but it seemed to take about 20 mins for people to get through the queue and interview when I went through.

Don't know when this additional step was introduced.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
There is now extra security at the gates - you get a (seemingly pointless) 'interview', or you may be selected for SSSS additional screening (for explosives, carry-on rummaged through etc). I got the latter; but it seemed to take about 20 mins for people to get through the queue and interview when I went through.

Don't know when this additional step was introduced.

I had the sss and it was quick
thanks for that will keep that in mind
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by sbiddle
OP still needs to clear transit security.

Remember that very significant numbers of people connect through to IAH from Australia - in some cases over 30% of the flight. Many of these will be connecting with around 60 mins to 90 mins tops from Australia.
That is true but transit security is nowhere near as bad as needing to clear actual, proper security! 1 hour is plenty and yes: as you said, with so many PAX making the transit, Air NZ is hardly going to take off without them.

NOTE Melia that when I check in at AKL for my USA flights if I'm in J (or I have access to the priority check-in area through other means) I can get a little sticker on my passport which expedites the annoying (and I agree... what feels like is pretty much pointless) interview. In AKL you can take it in-advance in the check-in area. You may be able to do something similar in Australia or the like - definitely talk to the staff about your options when there.

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Jan 14, 2019 at 6:40 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
That is true but transit security is nowhere near as bad as needing to clear actual, proper security! 1 hour is plenty and yes: as you said, with so many PAX making the transit, Air NZ is hardly going to take off without them.

NOTE Melia that when I check in at AKL for my USA flights if I'm in J (or I have access to the priority check-in area through other means) I can get a little sticker on my passport which expedites the annoying (and I agree... what feels like is pretty much pointless) interview. In AKL you can take it in-advance in the check-in area. You may be able to do something similar in Australia or the like - definitely talk to the staff about your options when there.
thanks Kiwifreqentflyer
didnt know in Auckland u can take the interview at check in. (I know about the express lane sticker on boarding pass)
will definitely ask about it when we check in at Adelaide

I guess being in J we r first ones off the plane anyway
just have to drag my 5 year and make the 8 year old walk abit faster

Feeling much better about the whole thing now
thank you everyone for your reassurance
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Yes, there is enough time. I fly ADL-AKL reasonably often. There are often people on connecting flights to the US and Canada. AirNZ pretty good at getting them off first if the flight to Auckland is delayed and I have seen some of the North American flights held for a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.