Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

ORD T1 <> T5 transfer discussion [WAS are pre NZ27 ORD lounge options real bad?]

ORD T1 <> T5 transfer discussion [WAS are pre NZ27 ORD lounge options real bad?]

Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:18 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by Beano
is the weather pretty bad ?
I dunno, but his twitter feed regarding his flight to ORD was...
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
is the weather pretty bad ?
Nope it's great here after the storm.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by kyanar
I dunno, but his twitter feed regarding his flight to ORD was...
I did discover it's possible to get from gate 30 at domestic to sitting on the plane at gate 18 at international in 22 mins without an airside transfer!

I feel sorry for all the others who missed their international flights on Friday due to shear incompetence by Air NZ. The only reason YVR and EZE made theirs was the subsequent 4hr delay to YVR and 3hr delay to EZE.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:21 pm

A few photos from the SAS lounge. I didn't bother visiting the SWISS lounge to check that out.

I did notice Koru members now have access to this lounge. I was very surprised there were so few people in there - maybe about 15 or so from my flight which isn't even the whole BP cabin let along other Koru or Gold / Elite pax on the plane.

Salads and food were fairly basic but good for US standards. The hotpot had sausages for hot dogs with the mini buns in the plastic container.

Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vincewy
I'm going to check in and drop bag at T5, go to T1 security and use Polaris Lounge, as I'll be working remote and will/can get to the airport 4-5 hours before departure. So the critical question is how early does NZ opens check-in desk? I guess if I have time I can swing by T5 soon to find out.
have you had your flight yet ?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:14 pm

Thanks Steve for the photos. How early did checkin open? I assume NZ has their own counters.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:22 pm

It opens 3 hours out. I got there 2 1/2 hours before which was a little earlier than planned but traffic turned to custard when the snow started falling!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
In fairness, I've been stuck in traffic on the way to ORD at 4am in the morning... in the middle of summer.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Back at ORD this evening, SWISS lounge was so packed there were zero places to sit and hot as an oven. SAS not quite as bad, but because they keep bouncing NZ27 to different gates, tonight it's on the opposite side of the terminal from this little lounge.... far cry from LAX or IAH options still, imo.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Polaris lounge ord

Anyone tried to obtain the boarding pass then travel to the Polaris lounge then go back to the departing terminal ?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
I certainly haven't but fwiw, it took me nearly 45 minutes to get from T1C to T5, using the transfer bus and walking at a steady clip. ORD is a total mess these days.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Getting a BP at T5 means you could take the landside shuttle back to T1. With the train system not running for "modernization" they've been running fairly consistent buses. The one benefit is that they run counter clockwise, which means the first stop after T5 is T1. Now you'd still have to clear security and walk over to the Polaris lounge at T1, but it should involve less walking than the T1 to T3 walk followed by waiting for the T3 to T5 bus ride. Either way... it's probably not an ideal situation unless you plan on arriving early enough to spend some quality time in the Polaris lounge AND you don't have luggage to check AND you can check in online/mobile and have a BP before you arrive at ORD.
chitink likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:18 pm

Anyone tried to obtain the boarding pass then travel to the Polaris lounge then go back to the departing terminal ?
I see no point in doing this because in all seriousness it might leave you 30 minutes at the very maximum in the lounge if you check in exactly 3 hours out when it opens.

Having spoken to a few people there since I've visited it seems airside transfers are a bit of a lottery and with a schedule every 30 mins and around 15 mins in total to get to the bus, travel airside and then exit the bus it introduces some major risks.

Landside travel between terminals seems to be a bit of a shambles at present as well.

I obviously haven't tried this but trust people I know who fly though ORD a lot when they tell me you'd have to be crazy to do this at present.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Having spoken to a few people there since I've visited it seems airside transfers are a bit of a lottery and with a schedule every 30 mins and around 15 mins in total to get to the bus, travel airside and then exit the bus it introduces some major risks.
Completely agree. But worth clarifying that "airside transfer" at ORD only works one way... T3 to T5. There is no airside transfer FROM T5 to the other terminals because there is an assumption you would have arrived off an intl flight and have to clear customs and immigration anyway. I think it's mentioned up thread, but probably worth reiterating here to save people the headache/disappointment.
chitink likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I see no point in doing this because in all seriousness it might leave you 30 minutes at the very maximum in the lounge if you check in exactly 3 hours out when it opens.

Landside travel between terminals seems to be a bit of a shambles at present as well.

I obviously haven't tried this but trust people I know who fly though ORD a lot when they tell me you'd have to be crazy to do this at present.
you cant check in earlier to get boarding pass? Even without checked luggage?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.