Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

ORD T1 <> T5 transfer discussion [WAS are pre NZ27 ORD lounge options real bad?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ORD T1 <> T5 transfer discussion [WAS are pre NZ27 ORD lounge options real bad?]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
ORD Polaris lounge

Originally Posted by trooper
So I assume that for some reason the ORD Polaris lounge is not available to NZ27 pax?
Reading the thread
1: It is available
2: But it is in a different terminal T1 i believe
3: You need to catch a train or bus to get to T5 where AIRNZ flight is
4: The bus leaves every half hour
5: Not certain if the AIRNZ app issues a boarding pass or if the security or lounge require the original paper one
https://thepointsguy.com/2016/12/uni...hicago-review/
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Beano
Reading the thread
1: It is available
2: But it is in a different terminal T1 i believe
3: You need to catch a train or bus to get to T5 where AIRNZ flight is
4: The bus leaves every half hour
5: Not certain if the AIRNZ app issues a boarding pass or if the security or lounge require the original paper one
https://thepointsguy.com/2016/12/uni...hicago-review/
Right. I provided a detailed review from a recent trip including instructions, upthread in my post (10), which had covered your points 1-4.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30645639-post10.html
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I've used a few lounges at ORD T5, all of them are dumps (LX,EK,andSK) and I ended up leaving and eating at food court.

For the upcoming trip from ORD, I'm planning to use Polaris by checking in early and go through T1. For me the main thing isn't the food, but shower, after the whole day simmering in Chicago a fresh shower will help you sleep better onboard.

Will NZ ever consider flying to YYZ nonstop?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The real issue with using the Polaris lounge is if you have checked luggage. That means a visit to T5 to check in (and remembering in many of these distant ports NZ only opens check-in at T -3hrs or even T -2.5 in some places) which doesn't leave a lot of time to then get to T1 and then back to T5.

I was keen to visit the Polaris lounge when I'm there in a few weeks but just not sure if it's worth the hassle (and more importantly trying to sell this to the other half!). I won't have the need for a shower after a day in the heat in February.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by vincewy
I've used a few lounges at ORD T5, all of them are dumps (LX,EK,andSK) and I ended up leaving and eating at food court.

For the upcoming trip from ORD, I'm planning to use Polaris by checking in early and go through T1. For me the main thing isn't the food, but shower, after the whole day simmering in Chicago a fresh shower will help you sleep better onboard.

Will NZ ever consider flying to YYZ nonstop?
Will you only have only carry on luggage so you can go straight to the Polaris lounge ? (Using the phone/computer to check in)
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
The real issue with using the Polaris lounge is if you have checked luggage. That means a visit to T5 to check in (and remembering in many of these distant ports NZ only opens check-in at T -3hrs or even T -2.5 in some places) which doesn't leave a lot of time to then get to T1 and then back to T5.

I was keen to visit the Polaris lounge when I'm there in a few weeks but just not sure if it's worth the hassle (and more importantly trying to sell this to the other half!). I won't have the need for a shower after a day in the heat in February.
Does anyone know when Checkin opens at ORD for NZ? Do NZ do their own checkin? If OLCI when can bags be dropped? I have 6hrs there before NZ27 in early June and will have luggage so am keen to check that and experience POLARIS before flight. The Polaris at IAH was fantastic in early Dec. Airport website says new ATS operational Fall 2019 so at least interterminal transfer may be quicker by June.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
"Fall 2019" in Chicago means September or October (literal) at the earliest. Based on living there for 2 years recently, it's just as likely to be early 2020.

Also, a functioning ATS means you still have to reclear security as it's not an airside transfer. Having to reclear TSA at Terminal 5 is less than ideal and likely negates any benefit over the airside bus that runs every 30 minutes.
24left likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.

How much of ORD is O&D though? Chicago has so many great bars and restaurants that it's not really worth it to get out to ORD just to hang around at the Polaris lounge, IMHO.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by smanch
I'm usually connecting to BOS or YUL and the timings are a lot better through IAH.
I'd optimize for connection time rather than what lounges are around, although it seems like with IAH you've got the best of both.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by Beano
Will you only have only carry on luggage so you can go straight to the Polaris lounge ? (Using the phone/computer to check in)
I'm going to check in and drop bag at T5, go to T1 security and use Polaris Lounge, as I'll be working remote and will/can get to the airport 4-5 hours before departure. So the critical question is how early does NZ opens check-in desk? I guess if I have time I can swing by T5 soon to find out.
Beano likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:45 am

I'm going to check in and drop bag at T5, go to T1 security and use Polaris Lounge, as I'll be working remote and will/can get to the airport 4-5 hours before departure. So the critical question is how early does NZ opens check-in desk? I guess if I have time I can swing by T5 soon to find out.
Check-in will either open at 2 1/2 hours before or 3 hours before as is standard for NZ outports.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 1:57 pm

Please report back if/when you find out the detail - I have an upcoming trip to Chicago and with the late evening departure of the flight will have some hours at ORD before departure and will be very interested.
Beano likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by drajknox

Please report back if/when you find out the detail - I have an upcoming trip to Chicago and with the late evening departure of the flight will have some hours at ORD before departure and will be very interested.
+1
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:28 pm

I'm in Chicago at present Not flying back for another week so can't ask until then
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:17 pm

I'm in Chicago at present Not flying back for another week so can't ask until then
is the weather pretty bad ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.