Silver RU TT

Old Jan 11, 19, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Silver RU TT

Hi guys

Apologies if this has been covered before, but it's some time since I've had an RU to use and only a lowly silver upgrade at that.

I know that TT an upgrade can be used to go from cattle class to business class. But if it isn't granted is there the possibility of being given an upgrade to PE instead? Or is the whole thing turned down?

And if I took the chance of booking cattle class would my chances be better if I paid extra for one of the 'better seats'?

The reason for asking is that I'm wondering if it would be more certain to book PE and ask for just a one-class upgrade?

I would be booking BP on the return flight, but don't know if that makes any difference when they are looking at upgrades on the way over.

I know AKL/BNE is not a long flight but the thought of flying in the 777 300 in cattle class for only that distance makes my aging bones ache at just the thought of it!

Thanks for any insights.

Old Jan 11, 19, 11:38 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
There are a huge number of threads on here discussing this very topic.

No you will not get an automatic upgrade to PE if BP is full for some pretty obvious reasons.

If the RU has not cleared at check-in you can ask staff who could probably give your a fairly good idea if it will or won't clear and if it's not looking good they could clear you into PE if there is space and you're happy with that.
​​​​​​
It makes zero difference trying to upgrade from PE to BP vs a seat only fare to BP.
Old Jan 14, 19, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Thanks for the comments. Apologies for the delay in acknowledging them.
Old Feb 20, 19, 1:08 am

Also some TT flights do not offer BP - only PE. So your RU will only go up one class to PE anyway.
A few flights offer only BP, & no PE so on these flights your RU may get you from economy to BP as is deemed one class on that particular flight.
Old Feb 20, 19, 1:36 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by EdFly View Post
Also some TT flights do not offer BP - only PE. So your RU will only go up one class to PE anyway.
A few flights offer only BP, & no PE so on these flights your RU may get you from economy to BP as is deemed one class on that particular flight.
??? What AirNZ planes have PE and no BP? And what planes only have BP and PE?
Old Feb 20, 19, 5:07 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
There is no trans-tasman flight run by NZ offering either of your combinations. Flights trans-tasman are either widebody 3-class (Y/A/C - 777, 787) or they are 1-class (Y only - 737, A320). BNE is served near exclusively by B773 and B772, so three classes are available.

(Some flights offer Space+ - this is not Premium Economy and to my knowledge cannot be upgraded to with instruments)
Old Feb 20, 19, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
There is no trans-tasman flight run by NZ offering either of your combinations. Flights trans-tasman are either widebody 3-class (Y/A/C - 777, 787) or they are 1-class (Y only - 737, A320). BNE is served near exclusively by B773 and B772, so three classes are available.

(Some flights offer Space+ - this is not Premium Economy and to my knowledge cannot be upgraded to with instruments)
Oh yes - my mistake. Got mixed up with availability and unavailability at various times

Old Feb 20, 19, 12:00 pm

Can silver RUs still clear right up to checking?
Im 3 days out on a TT and pending
Old Feb 20, 19, 12:10 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Can silver RUs still clear right up to checking?
Im 3 days out on a TT and pending
RUs and OneUps can clear right up to boarding at the gate
EdFly likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 10:26 pm

So if a RU is still pending, should you checkin early on your app when check in becomes available, or wait til at the airport? Or maybe doesn’t matter when you check in?
Old Feb 22, 19, 10:43 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Makes zero difference.
Old Feb 23, 19, 9:59 pm

I Silver ru Sydney to Akl
declined. Full flight.
Neighbour GE also declined.