Wiki Posts
Search

Meal availability

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
Meal availability

So on a recent flight I was on between HKG and AKL in PE my partner was told their first meal choice had run out. She ended up skipping dinner on the flight as she didn't like the other options. All good, we didn't have any issues with this as we know meal preference isn't guaranteed.

However, an hour later I got up to use the loo, and saw a couple of flight attendants eating the meal that they had "ran out of". As a customer that kind of ticked me off, but I'm not sure what the proper protocol for crew meals is, and whether they are reserved ahead of time or not. Was this a case of crew keeping their preferred meal for themselves or do they have separate meals loaded for them?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:11 am

There are meals labelled crew. Particularly for pilots they have to eat different meals from each other. I assume they require some variety in the cabin crew as well.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:58 am

When I read AKL HKG, it reminded me of a time when I was the first to board and my seat was next to a magazine rack. The FA then grabbed the only car magazine and stashed it somewhere, I guess for himself. I distinctly remember that flight as the service was below average for NZ.

On other flights, I have seen FA eating salad out of a Tupperware, food brought from home.

And after another flight, the MAF/customs dog picked out a FA. Turned out to be an empty Tupperware but unwashed.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:19 pm

Poor FAs. One would think that given there horrible working hours and ridiculously low wages, they would be able to have a decent meal.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
It would be all avoided able if an Airline like NZ who calls them self up there in the techno world. Would allow J/PE passengers to pre-select there meal online before there flight.

QF even allows this for Y passengers on Long-Haul.
chitink likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
It would be all avoided able if an Airline like NZ who calls them self up there in the techno world. Would allow J/PE passengers to pre-select there meal online before there flight.

QF even allows this for Y passengers on Long-Haul.
Maybe it's a privilege reserved for those in Gold Elite...
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by curioustill
Maybe it's a privilege reserved for those in Gold Elite...
Definitely not.

Maybe EP1
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by curioustill
Poor FAs. One would think that given there horrible working hours and ridiculously low wages, they would be able to have a decent meal.
Domestically I don;t think FAs get feed. FAs do often take their own food, as they would see repetition in the meals, plus they may like to tailor a meal to their preferences. And to avoid hotel food, etc
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I knew pilots had to eat different meals but unsure about FA. They may also have their meals mandated for health and safety reasons.

I am more than happy that they get a good meal. They don't have exactly stellar working conditions.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: QF, NZ, NH
I know they take the Business main course orders first and if more BP passengers order a certain option than they have loaded in Business, they'll take some from the Premium Economy allotment . I think when the crew are eating out of the larger collapsible foil dishes that's special food loaded for them which may be the same protein as the passengers get, but if it was out of a china dish the same as is served in PE I'd be asking questions!

BTW, I wouldn't feel too sorry for the FAs. I know the cabin managers on the bigger NZ aircraft are on a total package of the mid 100s which seems pretty decent..
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
A recent trip in J, they ran out of the option I wanted so the FA took the one that was meant for the pilot and gave it to me! I thought that was nice
Old Feb 22, 2019, 10:13 pm

On my flight last night in J, we have beef burger/chicken/fish. While waiting for the bathroom, I saw the little piece of paper saying how many they brought onto the plane, and how many were "bought" which reminded me of this thread.

They had brought 24 burgers, and 12 were "bought" (I was surprised that this was the most popular! Maybe I should try it).
They had brought 12 chicken meals, and 7 were "bought."
They had brought 11 fish meals, and 9 were "bought" (one of these being me).

It was NZ 2 leaving @ 10:50pm and so some of course opted to skip dinner.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by beaglelegal
I know they take the Business main course orders first and if more BP passengers order a certain option than they have loaded in Business, they'll take some from the Premium Economy allotment . I think when the crew are eating out of the larger collapsible foil dishes that's special food loaded for them which may be the same protein as the passengers get, but if it was out of a china dish the same as is served in PE I'd be asking questions!

BTW, I wouldn't feel too sorry for the FAs. I know the cabin managers on the bigger NZ aircraft are on a total package of the mid 100s which seems pretty decent..
Wow. I thought the average FA was on about 40k per year.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:42 am

I am 99% certain that is just BS. Very very few jobs in NZ make over 100k a year, and jobs that make MID 100k are unicorn jobs. If that figure is referring to anything it will be the pilots.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I am 99% certain that is just BS. Very very few jobs in NZ make over 100k a year, and jobs that make MID 100k are unicorn jobs. If that figure is referring to anything it will be the pilots.
There are plenty of FSMs on 6 figure salaries. ISMs aren't quite so lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.