Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Leased Eva 773 Hard product premium economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: airponts

Has anyone any experience of flying the Eva leased 773 and care to comment on the premium economy seat? I'm thinking of booking AKL/LAX and there is a reduction offered for this aircraft on NZ6. I've flown in economy on it and thought it was ok bar the IFE which was below Air NZ standard.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kindagot
Has anyone any experience of flying the Eva leased 773 and care to comment on the premium economy seat? I'm thinking of booking AKL/LAX and there is a reduction offered for this aircraft on NZ6. I've flown in economy on it and thought it was ok bar the IFE which was below Air NZ standard.
A review here. I note seat pitch is 38", so noticeably less than NZ's https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/eva...on-taipei-jfk/
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:57 pm

I flew 777 from EVA and the IFE is Air NZ system. Premium economy product is good, wide and comfortable seats.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by curioustill
I flew 777 from EVA and the IFE is Air NZ system. Premium economy product is good, wide and comfortable seats.
The hard product is the same base seat as NZ's 77Ws, airlines just customise the look and soft fittings.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
The hard product is the same base seat as NZ's 77Ws, airlines just customise the look and soft fittings.
Are you sure? The seat pitch for the EVA aircraft is listed at 38”, whereas on AirNZ it is 42-44” ? Based on Seatguru info, so this may be inaccurate
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi

Are you sure? The seat pitch for the EVA aircraft is listed at 38”, whereas on AirNZ it is 42-44” ? Based on Seatguru info, so this may be inaccurate
Pitch is different but the actual seat itself is the same Zodiac model albeit customised differently on both.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: NZ *G
I'm in PE on the leased EVA aircraft on Monday to LAX - will report back.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sopwith7
I'm in PE on the leased EVA aircraft on Monday to LAX - will report back.
Thank you! I t will be good to know as I still havent booked.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Flew PE on the leased EVA 777 today, it's quite close to the NZ metal experience. PE on NZ6 maybe half full.

​​​​Same seat as NZ but covered in fabric rather than leather. Slightly less pitch and possibly a slightly narrower seat. Good lower back support - I'd say the seat was just as comfy as NZ when sitting up. Maybe slightly less comfy when sleeping (although there was plenty of recline). I probably prefer the leather but no complaints for this seat. I did feel like the person in front of me was closer when reclined on the the EVA craft than on NZ.

IFE screen is same size or larger than NZ metal, and used (possibly somewhat reduced) NZ IFE system - still plenty of shows and movies loaded up. But you couldn't log in to the system and there were fewer info options.

Food / wine same as NZ metal.

Overall it's absolutely fine, and plenty of chances to upgrade because of the large PE cabin. If its a few hundred cheaper than NZ metal, go for it - at the same price, I'd prefer NZ metal in PE. Business definitely looked nicer than NZ however, no feet in the aisle!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sopwith7
Flew PE on the leased EVA 777 today, it's quite close to the NZ metal experience. PE on NZ6 maybe half full.

​​​​Same seat as NZ but covered in fabric rather than leather. Slightly less pitch and possibly a slightly narrower seat. Good lower back support - I'd say the seat was just as comfy as NZ when sitting up. Maybe slightly less comfy when sleeping (although there was plenty of recline). I probably prefer the leather but no complaints for this seat. I did feel like the person in front of me was closer when reclined on the the EVA craft than on NZ.

IFE screen is same size or larger than NZ metal, and used (possibly somewhat reduced) NZ IFE system - still plenty of shows and movies loaded up. But you couldn't log in to the system and there were fewer info options.

Food / wine same as NZ metal.

Overall it's absolutely fine, and plenty of chances to upgrade because of the large PE cabin. If its a few hundred cheaper than NZ metal, go for it - at the same price, I'd prefer NZ metal in PE. Business definitely looked nicer than NZ however, no feet in the aisle!
Many thanks for this comprehensive report!
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:25 am

Economy on the EVA Air 777 is also very good. It's in 3-3-3 configuration which is very rare in this day and age for a 777.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:53 pm

To anyone who's flown on it... does the EVA Wifi system still work?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by henrus
Not enabled when I flew in December.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by henrus
No Wifi available when I flew last week too (January 2019)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:02 pm

Eva uses different satellite tech from what AirNZ uses so AIrNZ won't have a contract in place.

Also guess the Wi-Fi kit will be a different manufacturer so they won't be able to tie into it.

And quite possibly the parts aren't signed off by CAA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.