FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   It's the "big one" sale (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1949492-its-big-one-sale.html)

kiwifrequentflyer Jan 6, 2019 10:52 am

It's the "big one" sale

It doesn't feel as big as last years, but that is ok - some good deals there! I am a little torn because I am in that awkward situation of my flight going there is part of the sale, but coming back it isn't.

cavemanzk Jan 6, 2019 11:34 am

No UK or Europe either? It was that later on last year?

I remember getting AKL-LHR for $1499 return on NZ/CX in that sale in January last year.

kiwifrequentflyer Jan 6, 2019 1:08 pm

Europe is on sale, some good airfares too

sbiddle Jan 6, 2019 2:48 pm

It's been interesting to see in the past few months during a number of the "sales" (and I struggle to call them that now, they have as many as Briscoes) that the prices to many destinations are the same from any domestic port.

cavemanzk Jan 6, 2019 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 30618387)
Europe is on sale, some good airfares too

My bad, I just scrolled the headline sales at the top and it didn’t feature Europe!

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 30619106)
It's been interesting to see in the past few months during a number of the "sales" (and I struggle to call them that now, they have as many as Briscoes) that the prices to many destinations are the same from any domestic port.

So true, they are pretty much the Briscoes or airlines (maybe that that will be there next crazy partnership).

Seems to be comming the way now with NZ, almost never buy and NZ fare unless they have an sale otherwise the next week it will be on sale.

Thai-Kiwi Jan 6, 2019 4:59 pm

Watching WLG-DUD and vv, I have noted that GaS has been offering the same 1 week window (27 Apr to 3 May) for quite a period.
I would have expected (or hoped) for more variety of dates for the same route, whatever that might be.

Are the international sales to Europe really that much of a sale? I don't track Air NZ's pricing, but even the sale prices in PE/J seem pretty ordinary compared to competitor's 'normal' PE/J prices in mid Sep.

THAI J fares AKL-ZRH are around NZD 6,600 return on 789/77W equipment.

ottiehund Jan 6, 2019 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 30619580)
......Are the international sales to Europe really that much of a sale? I don't track Air NZ's pricing, but even the sale prices in PE/J seem pretty ordinary compared to competitor's 'normal' PE/J prices in mid Sep.......

My thoughts also, maybe some options are cheaper that 'normal' but hardly 'sale' prices.

sbiddle Jan 6, 2019 8:03 pm

NZ metal AKL-LHR in BP never really drops below $4000 and LHR-AKL is about $4500 at the cheapest remembering the tax is a lot higher coming back.

When NZ typically have their sales to Europe you'll find it's around that $8500 or so R/T and often well under $7000 if you fly via Asia with NZ metal to SIN/HKG/PVG/NRT.

ottiehund Jan 6, 2019 8:20 pm

As a shareholder that makes me happy .... but as a traveller not so much. :rolleyes:

NZbutterfly Jan 6, 2019 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 30619580)
Are the international sales to Europe really that much of a sale? I don't track Air NZ's pricing, but even the sale prices in PE/J seem pretty ordinary compared to competitor's 'normal' PE/J prices in mid Sep.

THAI J fares AKL-ZRH are around NZD 6,600 return on 789/77W equipment.

They had AKL-LHR for 3.5k with NZ/SQ last year which I thought was a good deal. Return deal not so much (can't recall price).

Been looking through google flights then went through to the airline website and these prices were still bookable.
I have seen AKL-EU with Etihad (NZ/VA TT) for 5.6k return in J but I think that's gone. Prices seem to be cheaper out of NZ than Australia for once.
Some dates QR is ~ 6k return to Europe.

There are some LAX-LHR J fares on NZ for 4.5k return
Also MEL-LAX ~5k for business class return with Air NZ.
China Airlines puts out some cracking deals at times along with some other airlines.

Thai-Kiwi Jan 6, 2019 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly (Post 30620503)
They had AKL-LHR for 3.5k with NZ/SQ last year which I thought was a good deal. Return deal not so much (can't recall price).

Been looking through google flights then went through to the airline website and these prices were still bookable.
I have seen AKL-EU with Etihad (NZ/VA TT) for 5.6k return in J but I think that's gone. Prices seem to be cheaper out of NZ than Australia for once.
Some dates QR is ~ 6k return to Europe.

There are some LAX-LHR J fares on NZ for 4.5k return
Also MEL-LAX ~5k for business class return with Air NZ.
China Airlines puts out some cracking deals at times along with some other airlines.

Yes, some good deals to be had for sure - but it is all relative!

It seems that for NZ's Elites, many are able to quite effectively use various upgrade instruments - but the requirements to gain/maintain NZ*E are significant.

I am very reluctant to pay for J, and will accept enough mile-earning Y flights to gain/maintain re-qualification with THAI for TG*G. The program is not perfect, but is better for us than NZ's.

Fo example, I just arranged flights for Mrs TK and myself AKL-BKK-ZRH return in business class for the total of NZD 3,400 for both of us. I used my TG Gold Upgrade (requires semi-flex econ fare @ $2300), the other an award redemption at 50% of normal miles ($240 taxes) . I did need to buy some miles to to up my account to make up the total. I think $NZ 1700 each for J AKL-ZRH return is a good deal ;)

This suits our flying pattern for the moment, and since the only long haul flying is for leisure for the foreseeable future, I expect that airlines status will be a thing of the past. And so I am thankful that TG*G lasts for 2 years.

NZbutterfly Jan 7, 2019 2:02 am

That is one sweet deal you got there! Does muddy the waters a bit when you bring points into the scenario (but it's a welcome muddy:) ) I think taxes with Qantas would cost more than that alone to Europe for 2 :rolleyes:

kiwifrequentflyer Jan 7, 2019 11:59 am

Tbh I think though that Air NZ isn't far behind most airlines IF you are Elite. Return J for me and my partner is $4.8k. That's return sale PE fares, and then APD upgrades off of my CC. The consistency of which you can snag those awards and the awesome flight times will keep me loyal to Air NZ this year. No 6am flight to Australia to catch my flight onward required!

Once you start gaming the PE-J upgrades maintaining Elite isn't that hard of you fly long haul a few times a year since PE itself gives a fair amount of SP. It's achieving elite before APD that requires you essentially throw money at it and definitely feels bad.

kyanar Jan 7, 2019 3:36 pm

From Australia the prices seem OK, ~$4700 in BP to LAX or SFO, ~$5170 to IAH or YVR and ~$5600 to ORD. Not even a mention of LHR. NZ can be had for $200 each way with a $70 each way domestic addon which given the stratospheric cost of NZ regionals is probably not a bad deal.

Rebound Jan 7, 2019 9:17 pm

Bali on sale, just no in BP - a shame as you can do it for $2200 on EK return, was hoping for around the same for Air NZ