Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Buying tickets at full priced, and then refunding them and purchasing them on sale?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying tickets at full priced, and then refunding them and purchasing them on sale?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite

Hey everyone. Just checking, is there any downside to purchasing refundable tickets, upgrading them with APD, and then refunding them and purchasing them again when they go on sale (and upgrading them again with APD)?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Domestically, I almost always buy a refundable tix for the days of travel without worrying if the time is not quite right. I then refund and buy again (same price) when the time I want shows. I do this ‘cancel and buy again’ because if I simply changed the FlexiDate to the time I want then the ticket subsequently requires a Call Centre call to change/cancel - which can be a pain.

I may have several Flexi tix booked around the days/tines I want. I’ll either stick with the best, and cancel the rest - or cancel the lot and buy a Seat only or S&Bag (if plans are locked).

NZ refunds come through pretty quickly, but I do maintain a spreadsheet of all PNRs and the status of them (good, cancelled, cancelled and refunded) - have had up to 20 ‘alive’earlier this year....suits me and is almost a kind of insurance
ps107 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:22 pm

The only issue I've had has been when I've changed credit card so they couldn't process the refund automatically, but was sorted quickly.

I've also sometimes incorrectly assumed I can do the same on other airlines, but some will only give an airline credit instead of a credit card refund.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:37 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by ps107
The only issue I've had has been when I've changed credit card so they couldn't process the refund automatically, but was sorted quickly. I've also sometimes incorrectly assumed I can do the same on other airlines, but some will only give an airline credit instead of a credit card refund.
Virgin?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:56 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
That's good info about refundable bookings. The original question about APD upgrades is interesting. It's a race to grab the 2 R-class upgrade seats on each flight and it can be tempting to book a more expensive PE fare to ensure you secure those upgrades. Could you book a fully refundable PE fare the 1st day they're bookable to secure the R-class upgrades, knowing the 2 upgrade seats will become available again as soon as you cancel the original fares? So once cheaper PE fares are available, you could book them, cancel you original fares, and immediately grab the 2 R-class seats again?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF
Virgin?
Haven't had experience getting a refund on Virgin, but still have credit on Flynas and recently managed to use my Flydubai credit just before it lapsed.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Beckett66
So once cheaper PE fares are available, you could book them, cancel you original fares, and immediately grab the 2 R-class seats again?
Unfortunately not. There’s no guarantee that the R class seat will go back into R class inventory. There’s a good chance it will go into general business class inventory.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Beckett66
That's good info about refundable bookings. The original question about APD upgrades is interesting. It's a race to grab the 2 R-class upgrade seats on each flight and it can be tempting to book a more expensive PE fare to ensure you secure those upgrades. Could you book a fully refundable PE fare the 1st day they're bookable to secure the R-class upgrades, knowing the 2 upgrade seats will become available again as soon as you cancel the original fares? So once cheaper PE fares are available, you could book them, cancel you original fares, and immediately grab the 2 R-class seats again?
Depending on the current load of the plane I wouldn't assume the R class you had booked and are now releasing would go back into the the pool as R class. Revenue management is a complex beast.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:53 am

Well for one thing I would think that it would cost quite a bit more to purchase a ticket that can be refunded vs a non-refundable fare. Does it really outweigh the savings?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codyc1515
Well for one thing I would think that it would cost quite a bit more to purchase a ticket that can be refunded vs a non-refundable fare. Does it really outweigh the savings?
The point was, to buy them to essentially lock in R space, and to then swap it out with cheaper tickets later.

Though through the replies, I now see that it won't necessarily work like that. Thank you everyone!

​​​​
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
The point was, to buy them to essentially lock in R space, and to then swap it out with cheaper tickets later.

Though through the replies, I now see that it won't necessarily work like that. Thank you everyone!

​​​​
As pointed out it's flawed logic for multiple reasons.

Once you cancel the R upgrade *should* go to the next person who's lodged an R class upgrade if R class is then made available again and that seat not returned to general inventory.

I'm sure if you were in the position of being 1st on the waitlist for a BP upgrade and somebody with an R class upgrade cancelled that you'd be arguing that the upgrade should be given to you.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
As pointed out it's flawed logic for multiple reasons.

Once you cancel the R upgrade *should* go to the next person who's lodged an R class upgrade if R class is then made available again and that seat not returned to general inventory.

I'm sure if you were in the position of being 1st on the waitlist for a BP upgrade and somebody with an R class upgrade cancelled that you'd be arguing that the upgrade should be given to you.
I think it was a legitimate question to ask because whether that should be the case or not, I don't think that Air NZs system works like that. It checks at the time of booking and if the space isn't available, I don't think it keeps checking until R space opens up until its closer to the time? From the comments here, that isn't what would seem to happen: instead the R space would be lost and just go into the pool of all of the other J seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.