Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

... your year in the air has landed (email from NZ)

... your year in the air has landed (email from NZ)

Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: NZ *G
I did this once, to get my elderly mother into the domestic Koru lounge at Auckland. The staff were great and let her in, but pointed out that I needed to leave as I was committing an offence by being airside without a ticket. If you look st the signs st security you’ll see that a valid ticket is a prerequisite to going airside.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It is very interesting to see Air NZ allowing this, but as pointed out you are breaking the law being airside without a ticket.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by sbiddle
It is very interesting to see Air NZ allowing this, but as pointed out you are breaking the law being airside without a ticket.
i am often airside without a ticket. International Koru Lounge and all.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:58 pm

also very interesting given how loud the feedback has been on how full the lounges have been
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo

i am often airside without a ticket. International Koru Lounge and all.
How? I thought you’d need to show your boarding pass before reaching the lounge and again when you got there.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by gratn

How? I thought you’d need to show your boarding pass before reaching the lounge and again when you got there.
My assumption when I read that was that they accessed the area for work which is of course very different.
kiwicyclo likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Agreed..

Once I was stopped at security and not let through due to not flying.
There is a fundamental conflict between this “rule” and the Air NZ procedure for unaccompanied minors where you need to deliver them to the gate.
But when Avsec one day require me to turn my belt buckle inside out, and the next to take it off (and my shoes with metal lace eyes), and the next day there is no beep at all, I tend to not take their rules very seriously.
May be all moot in future anyway - the youngest turned 12 recently, I had no time for the Lounge with them on Sunday and they insisted on being big girls & getting dropped off outside the terminal to make their own way on board. I’ll see in future whether not being unaccompanied makes a difference to the treatment we’ve enjoyed.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by freemark

Once I was stopped at security and not let through due to not flying.
There is a fundamental conflict between this “rule” and the Air NZ procedure for unaccompanied minors where you need to deliver them to the gate.
But when Avsec one day require me to turn my belt buckle inside out, and the next to take it off (and my shoes with metal lace eyes), and the next day there is no beep at all, I tend to not take their rules very seriously.
May be all moot in future anyway - the youngest turned 12 recently, I had no time for the Lounge with them on Sunday and they insisted on being big girls & getting dropped off outside the terminal to make their own way on board. I’ll see in future whether not being unaccompanied makes a difference to the treatment we’ve enjoyed.
yes all the rules are different
1: once stopped and had my spare Samsung phone battery terminal taped over incase there was a short circuit
2:my credit cards (which were grouped together 6 in total) had to be separated and passed through xray machine
NO none of the cards were the Amex or Hilton "black metal card!
I was told the magnetic strip can activate the metal detector
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:59 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
Thanks for the info about lounge access with unaccompanied minors. I may try it sometime although usually both my wife and I do the drop-off so I don't like our chances. It'd also be the regional lounge in our case and they seem more restrictive there because it's smaller than the domestic lounge.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
In the numerous years I have been Elite I have only once ever tried for lounge access when not flying. Christmas day one year ago wife (also Elite) and I drove to Wellington to pick up daughter, wife's Elite Partner. We were there 90 minutes early and regional lounge staff were very happy to admit us when we showed our cards. Otherwise I would never consider asking.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by brenrox
Purchase a refundable ticket and cancel once leaving the lounge? Have never done it, so can't confirm whether that actually works.
Yes, you can.

You can do this but lounge staff can get grumpy as it's a lot of manual work to offload pax and then process the refund.
Depending on your proximity to the flights departure you can cancel online or via the call centre also.

This is all a bit off track however.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515

Yes, you can.

Depending on your proximity to the flights departure you can cancel online or via the call centre also.

This is all a bit off track however.
If you're in Koru it means you've already checked in therefore airport load control have to manually offload you. You of course then can't cancel online and ringing the call centre will take even longer as they'll need to contact the airport to get you manually offloaded before they can process the refund. Doing things in Koru is probably going to be far quicker, even though they do get annoyed.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
If you're in Koru it means you've already checked in therefore airport load control have to manually offload you. You of course then can't cancel online and ringing the call centre will take even longer as they'll need to contact the airport to get you manually offloaded before they can process the refund. Doing things in Koru is probably going to be far quicker, even though they do get annoyed.
Does scanning at the lounge automatically check you in? Wasn't there a debate here a while ago and I seem to remember you saying you weren't checked in unless you did it at the kiosk?...as ~5y ago at least you were automatically checked in when you purchased your ticket, but people were saying they were offloaded more recently for not "checking in" at a kiosk...
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox
Does scanning at the lounge automatically check you in? Wasn't there a debate here a while ago and I seem to remember you saying you weren't checked in unless you did it at the kiosk?...as ~5y ago at least you were automatically checked in when you purchased your ticket, but people were saying they were offloaded more recently for not "checking in" at a kiosk...
Scanning to enter Koru has always automatically checked you in for a flight.

Up until probably 18 months or so ago you hadn't needed to check in for probably the 10 years prior. Air NZ never communicated the requirement to now check in (probably because it had been many years since they'd ever actually said you *didn't* need to check in) which did lead to people being offloaded. The recent app changes have made this more prominent, but I still don't think it's 100% clear.

You need to check-in via the app, website, kiosk or by entering Koru at least ~20 mins before your flight. If you aren't checked in once boarding commences at ~20 mins out you do risk being offloaded.
Kiwi Flyer, Thai-Kiwi and brenrox like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are some loyal Air NZ frequent flyers out there
Link--> https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...9000km-in-2018
<snip>
Of its most frequent flyers, an Auckland-based customer flew 639,000km in 2018 – the equivalent to 15 circuits of the globe – making them Air New Zealand's farthest flyer for the year.

The airline's most frequent flyer took 371 flights in 2018, and the top three travellers together clocked up 1.25 million km in the air – earning more than 31,000 Airpoints Dollars between them.
<snip>
If he/she credited to better ffp would have a good stash of ff miles
Kiwi Flyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.