More Regional Cuts

Old Dec 17, 18, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

More Regional Cuts

Overheard a pilot talking to an FA yesterday - apparently Whanagrei and Hokitika are next on the chopping block. Not surprising - just sensible business management - but does NZ have a Regional Air services subsidy program like in Aus? It seems odd that as the largest shareholder the government are going to continue to let services get cut. Of course, could just be hearsay.
Old Dec 17, 18, 2:21 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Gold
No NZ does not.

I would be hesitant to jump on that bandwagon right away. Air NZ wont be making any major cuts for a while, especially given the absolute outcry over PPQ. HKK would be a tricky one given that Air NZ would be seen to be abandoning the whole West Coast region.

who knows what will happen, but we must be careful not to mistake opinion for fact
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 2:39 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I can just imagine Minister Jones' response if WRE was cut...
Tag1987 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

As I said - could just be hearsay or proposals. But interesting that it’s going around as a rumour within the business
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by HighFlyingKiwi View Post
No NZ does not.

I would be hesitant to jump on that bandwagon right away. Air NZ wont be making any major cuts for a while, especially given the absolute outcry over PPQ. HKK would be a tricky one given that Air NZ would be seen to be abandoning the whole West Coast region.

who knows what will happen, but we must be careful not to mistake opinion for fact
Basically this.

There have been plenty of rumours in recent years about some domestic routes. Some have proven to be true, others haven't. At some point however Air NZ does need to make a decision about the Q300 fleet, and some airports (KKE is a classic example) can't support a full ATR76.

Until anything is announced I wouldn't believe anything.. And with the political environment at present I'd be very surprised to see any changes occur.

Having said that IF changes were to occur you'd simply end up with Air Chathams taking over routes.. Until they get so big Air NZ eventually buys them.
Tag1987 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
BAt some point however Air NZ does need to make a decision about the Q300 fleet, and some airports (KKE is a classic example) can't support a full ATR76.
Is this an economics (i.e. unable to fill enough seats) or operational question (i.e. landing performance)?
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:22 pm

The runway at KKE cannot support a fully loaded ATR. I believe (could be wrong) WRE is the same.

KKE would fill a ATR easy enough. Most Q300 flights to the Bay of Islands I have been on, have been pretty solid
Old Dec 17, 18, 11:11 pm

Programs: Many banked years
Kerikeri runway

Kerikeri runway length available 1190m

runway required by ATR 1367m 🙁

whangarei runway length 1157m ☹️

Old Dec 17, 18, 11:23 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Well, ATR72 operations at either WRE/KKE ARE possible of course, just providing that payload/fuel load are adjusted for the prevailing conditions iaw the performance manual requirements.

From a commercial ops perspective, that would require Air NZ to make some decisions on pax #/freight loading that would allow operations to proceed at an acceptable % of the time, and to do so economically.

The Pprune thread provides a little insight into ATR72/42 operations - read down a bit: https://www.pprune.org/tech-log/3590...0m-runway.html

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Dec 17, 18 at 11:34 pm
Old Dec 17, 18, 11:28 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
The ATR is weight restricted into WRE, and has operated there before. Not sure about KKE.
Old Dec 20, 18, 5:15 pm

Programs: AirNZ S*, AirAsia Black
Thoughts

I ran this post past an air NZ staffer and s/he said “they’re forgetting Taupo”.... so cut three to open up Wanaka, again.
Old Dec 20, 18, 5:38 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by mcgma760 View Post
I ran this post past an air NZ staffer and s/he said “they’re forgetting Taupo”.... so cut three to open up Wanaka, again.
Wanaka is still a few years away. They need to build an airport first to handle A320s.
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:16 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by mcgma760 View Post
That would be interesting Taupo has a working relationship with Sounds Air, so would Sounds Air move into the Auckland Market or will Chathams pick it up?
Old Dec 20, 18, 7:58 pm

I would imagine Chats would if Air NZ were to ever pull out of TUO. AKL is pushing the Boundary for Sounds Air. Wellington/Top of the South is a long, established base for them. Air Chats already have the counters, equipment ect for operating flights from AKL, and have A/C available to do so