Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Direct Auckland to Invercargill announced.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Direct Auckland to Invercargill announced.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I had recollections of it being a non stop 737 service in the '90s so dug out some of my old timetables to look.

I can't find my earlier ones but looking at the 1995 and 1996 timetables there were 2 x daily 737 services NZ416 and NZ530 with NZ416 stopping at WLG on the way and NZ530 stopping at CHC.

Yip , used to fly it regularly in the late 80's and through the 90's, with the option of domestic J also with its big armchairs and sheepskin covers. They also used to fit in a cup of tea to Dunedin, and a meal (yes, meal) on the next leg to either CHC or AKL. .... and remember Ansett added more flights when they started their 146 service too (late 80's?). IVC was a busy little airport at times, although some flights were a bit of a 'milk run'.

Thanks Sbiddle, remember those timetables well, and we had the big IAG guides at work as well which we used for planning our marketing trips and freight options to overseas customers. Then the freight forwarders got more switched on dealing with fresh and live product, and along came the internet!

Last edited by ottiehund; Dec 15, 2018 at 11:41 pm Reason: extra text
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Great news!

I wonder though: Is there a particular reason NZ isn't using the ATR72 for this new route?

1. The ATR72 has the range to operate the flight.
2. It wouldn't require IVC to add security screening checkpoints
3. Filling a 68 seater is much easier than filling a 320 with 150+ seats, and the economic feasibility would likely be guaranteed
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Great news!

I wonder though: Is there a particular reason NZ isn't using the ATR72 for this new route?

3. Filling a 68 seater is much easier than filling a 320 with 150+ seats, and the economic feasibility would likely be guaranteed
1. Mt Cook has had Pilot shortages recently so may be don't want to add more ATR flights particularly ones that tie up crew and a plane for such a long time. Could also free up some turbo props which were flying to IVC - Dunedin or CHC during the peak which could be used elsewhere on the network.
1. How long would the ATR flight be would it still be faster to ATR to Dunedin and then A320? May be also if longer ATR flight might also be fuel constraints as needs to make it to IVC then fly to the furthest of two alternative airports and still be above minimum fuel
3. AirNZ would know the number of peak IVC to AKL journeys and feel the A320 is right
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Great news!

Demand warrants a A320. They will have no problems filling those seats. Plus it looks like the times are very business friendly. And I mean who would want to fly IVC-AKL on a ATR. And also they are a bit short of ATRs at the moment. ZK-MCB was retired, but they have dragged it back into service over the holiday period. It's been stripped of its livery and decals.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
$59 o.w on Grabaseat today...listed as 1hr 55min flight time.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by brenrox
$59 o.w on Grabaseat today...listed as 1hr 55min flight time.
I'm all set for the IVC-AKL flight on the 26th of August, in conjunction with my 20th Air New Zealand domestic destination (WRE).
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Booked and confirmed on 26th also.......
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
What prices did they offer during the domestic sale?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: NZ Silver, NZ Koru, Accor Silver
NZ$59 for seat one way today - was $141 during last week's sale

Last edited by SilverTP; Jan 24, 2019 at 4:50 pm Reason: Extra information
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by SilverTP
My return trip only came to that ($59 northbound, $83 southbound) - bargain to get a days work done in the big city.

Last edited by ottiehund; Jan 24, 2019 at 4:59 pm Reason: price details added
Old Jan 24, 2019, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
Originally Posted by SilverTP
The service didn't go on sale until this morning, so any price offered during last week's sale was via Christchurch or Wellington.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WLG Base
It used to be the "fun" alternative to ZQN if you missed the curfew!!

I remember the 737 service to IVC from WLG in the 1980's. The return flight stopped in DUD on the way back.
IVC/DUD ? That would be an incredibly short flight. 15 mins actual flying ? Aircraft wouldn't gain much altitude before it had to descend
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
IVC/DUD ? That would be an incredibly short flight. 15 mins actual flying ? Aircraft wouldn't gain much altitude before it had to descend
Back in then a lot the directs were milk runs, stopping in at each airport along the way. It was the normal thing.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
.... and it was a jet service, and the flight attendants used to manage to serve a cup of tea as well, with food served also on the DUD-CHC leg.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
So just being curious: Assuming that pax will need to clear security before flying IVC-AKL, does anyone know how this be will handled?

Another remodeling of the airport after only 2-3 years? "Mobile" security checkpoints for the once daily flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.