Flight to Chicago

Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Flight to Chicago

Has anyone flown this sector and is willing to comment on the flight , ease to clear customs/immigration , transport into the city and the departure lounge (s) in Chicago (is it possibe to use the new Polaris lounge)
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I had a mate fly it back to NZ earlier in the week. I'm flying it R/T in about 6 weeks.

Access into Chicago itself is easy on the train.

As for accessing Polaris this will realistically not be possible as NZ operate from the International terminal which is a long way from the domestic terminals where the Polaris lounge is. Access between terminals is by tram which close at the end of the month for a refurbishment so will be replaced by buses. Unless you get there really early, have carry on only and check in online then you're not going to have time to visit it.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Haven't flown it, but re Polaris lounge, only if you're flying in J. Having *G isn't enough. If you have *G but not flying in J, you get access to the standard United lounge.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Haven't flown it, but re Polaris lounge, only if you're flying in J. Having *G isn't enough. If you have *G but not flying in J, you get access to the standard United lounge.
There is no United club in the international terminal. BP/Koru/*G all use the SAS lounge.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Is a three hour transit onto United domestic likely to be enough time -barring disasters off NZ26? Last one of day and trying to decide if should overnight ORD?
Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:38 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by bce1
Is a three hour transit onto United domestic likely to be enough time -barring disasters off NZ26? Last one of day and trying to decide if should overnight ORD?
Thanks
Separate tickets? Depends when and where from - if it's a regional airport in winter I wouldn't take that risk. Mainline flights in summer should be fine.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Thanks - it was NZ arrival onto UA - seperate tickets as travelling with someone in R class and NZ wouldnt allow R class with a ticket on non-NZ metal -hate it - already anxious a 5 months away!! OrD to MSP.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Im flying up paid J on 18th January and back paid J on 25th January. Certainly looking at trying to use the Polaris lounge on the return.

Wanting the best bang for my nearly $14k return flight cost!

The SFO Polaris is pretty spectacular, having used it twice.

Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Thanks
I took the option of weekend of staying in Chicago before connecting onwards Sunday afternoon. January Chicago could be weather impacted. Especially later in the afternoon when they run out of de-icing fluid!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:16 pm

Thanks - it was NZ arrival onto UA - seperate tickets as travelling with someone in R class and NZ wouldn’t allow R class with a ticket on non-NZ metal -hate it - already anxious a 5 months away!! OrD to MSP.
Should be fine, NZ's been pretty good arriving into ORD, if anything your onward connection is likely to be delayed.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
Im flying up paid J on 18th January and back paid J on 25th January. Certainly looking at trying to use the Polaris lounge on the return.

Remember Air NZ leave from terminal 5 at ORD which is miles away and through separate security from the Polaris lounge.
kiwicyclo likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Remember Air NZ leave from terminal 5 at ORD which is miles away and through separate security from the Polaris lounge.
There's an airside bus, but yeah would still allow plenty of time to connect.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
I have a fair bit of time to kill ..........
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo

let us know after your flight how easy it was to get from terminal 5 (to get your boarding pass) then to terminal 1 (lounge) and back to terminal 5 fir your flight.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
let us know after your flight how easy it was to get from terminal 5 (to get your boarding pass) then to terminal 1 (lounge) and back to terminal 5 fir your flight.
That sounds like a terrible idea, I'd only use Polaris if connecting from UA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.