Wiki Posts
Search

"DO NOT USE" overhead bin

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AIRNZ *GE
"DO NOT USE" overhead bin

I travelled recently to Sydney on Economy with Air NZ from AKL.
As A*Elite member I was lucky enough to board earlier and secure a space on the overhead bin above me.
As the plane welcome more and more passengers, the passenger sitting opposite me stumbled with a "Little" dilemma.
His allocated overhead bin had a big RED label that's says "Do NOT USE", he looked a bit puzzled and asked the FA re" DO not Use" and the FA rudely replied " It says do not use Sir, so it means you can't use it"
I felt sorry for the guy.
The FA then said " Just put your bag on the next available overhead bin"
what do u do in this situation?
I felt like saying to the FA, you put the label on DO NOT USE so you need to help the passenger look for a space to put the bag.

I had similar situation in the past where I was travelling business class and some small overhead bin was used to store pillows or blankets and newspaper or crew's belongings sometimes.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Not really sure what the issue is.

All aircraft have overhead bins marked like this for storage of various things incl rafts on the A320R. The F/A isn't responsible for the sticker.

There are then also the dummy overhead bins blocked off on the widebody fleet for which are the crew compartment emergency exits.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:41 pm

If it's the sticker I think you are talking about I have seen it also on seats and jump seats when there is a maintenance issue.

I have seen overhead bins go inop. The latch broke off. They had to empty it and the one next to it as was the same space. Then engineer came on and use metres of duct tape to ensure it was closed & no one could try to open it.
Johnnyline likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AIRNZ *GE
Thanks for the reply sbiddle, I understand FA isn't responsible for the sticker, but what would you do if there is no overhead bin space left who's responsible to find you a space to put your bag?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Same thing as always? First check for bag space around your seat. If there is none, tell a FA. They will walk around the plane looking for bag space. If there is none then they will take the bag away and give it back to you at the end of the flight.

I mean it's no different from walking onto the plane later and discovering that there is no room left.

It's why it's good to research seats ahead of time to see if something like this exists. Sometimes there are not notes online and you just get the unlucky seat. It can't be avoided. I've selected a seat without bin space directly above me plenty of times because it's being used for things like emergency equipment.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Johnnyline
Thanks for the reply sbiddle, I understand FA isn't responsible for the sticker, but what would you do if there is no overhead bin space left who's responsible to find you a space to put your bag?
I certainly don't consider the bin above my seat to be "mine" - ultimately it's a finite resource. I'm guessing neither you nor the person you're referencing have either flown in the US. 100% full overhead bins are the norm on many flights and there is certainly no expectation from anybody that the space above your seat is "yours". If you can get space above (or even near your seat) on a busy flight you're lucky, particularly if you're not boarding early on.

I consider (and personal experience is) that a passenger would search the plane for space and if they can't find space would then ask cabin crew for help.

It's not uncommon to find the overhead bins full towards the front of the plane on A320 TT flights if you don't board early due to all the HVCs traveling with carry on only. Likewise sit down the back of an ATR and board last and you'll struggle for space due to the reserved overheads bins for storage.
nancypants, WoodieNZ and QTFLYER like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless you have a "bin pass" it is not your "allocated space." While it makes sense to place your bag close to where you sit, it is not "your" space. If the bin is marked off for crew space, because it is not really a bin, or is inop, I am not sure what more there is to be done by a FA other than what she said and I am not sure why the passenger would not simply place his bag over the next closest location.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I suggest solving your own problem, as mentioned by others. You are primarily responsible for finding a space in a bin or under the seat in front of you for your carry on.
The devices for measuring your bag at the gate make sure that it will fit under a seat.

Safe travel during the Xmas disruptions
WLGNZ
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: RFC
The FA then said " Just put your bag on the next available overhead bin"
what do u do in this situation?
An answer before the question! Sorry, but anyone who is either "concerned" by this or "doesn't know what to do next" probably isn't old enough to be flying by themselves.
glennhaak and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
The FA might need to go back for some customer training.
Ellice likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by mellon
The FA might need to go back for some customer training.
if they spoke "rudely" then yes - but it seems they gave precise advise for the passenger
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
An answer before the question! Sorry, but anyone who is either "concerned" by this or "doesn't know what to do next" probably isn't old enough to be flying by themselves.
Really? one could argue that OP is showing a lot more courtesy than many other people here are showing, which is the (quite reasonable) assumption that the space above your seat is where you should put your bag, and if its not accessible perhaps the OP and the pax across the aisle are being quite polite in both not trying hog "other's" space.

personally, where possible I always try and use the space above my seat, and if its full and i can fit my bag in my seat I would do that. If its a bigger bag i have no choice but i really try and and avoid taking space far away from my seat.

To those using the US system as a benchmark, where lack of courtesy and boorish behavior are the norm, I hardly think that an example to follow.

So I guess I need to travel as an unaccompanied minor for making the mistake of trying to show some courtesy
Ellice likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
I also assume that the space above my seat is for my stuff. I’m very annoyed if it’s already taken by someone else sitting elsewhere. It’s a prize pain in the butt if you have to store your stuff in an overhead bin further back on a full plane when you go to disembark as people won’t let you go back to get your bag some of the time. I guess I also have to travel as an unaccompanied minor as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.