Express Arrival Cards Australia

Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Express Arrival Cards Australia

Does anyone know whether the Express Arrival Cards entering Australia have been eliminated. I’m currently on NZ123 flying to Melbourne and didn’t get given one so asked a flight attendant. Was told they are now a thing of the past and “to save trees” the red sticker “Express Lane” which I believed was only to exit AKL also applies to entering AU. I doubted this was correct and asked the FSM who told me this had been the case for a year - funny I have had express arrival cards on the same flight number several times within that period including just 2 months ago. While these are often unnecessary I have found them extremely good on several occasions when there is a long queue after collecting baggage.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:53 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by drajknox
Does anyone know whether the Express Arrival Cards entering Australia have been eliminated. I’m currently on NZ123 flying to Melbourne and didn’t get given one so asked a flight attendant. Was told they are now a thing of the past and “to save trees” the red sticker “Express Lane” which I believed was only to exit AKL also applies to entering AU. I doubted this was correct and asked the FSM who told me this had been the case for a year - funny I have had express arrival cards on the same flight number several times within that period including just 2 months ago. While these are often unnecessary I have found them extremely good on several occasions when there is a long queue after collecting baggage.
would be good to know, were still given one into SYD a few weeks ago. I have got many copies lying around, only used them once out of over 30 visits.... at one stage they looked sick and tired when given out as they were recycled...
Beano likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I posted last month about this. My understanding is both the card and FSM/ISM greetings were canned in October in part due to the excessive numbers of Elite's.

I got one on my recent trip to SYD by asking nicely, didn't end up needing it which is the case 80% of the time heading into Aussie.

I'm just cautious after having had two occasions where Murphy and his law came into play and there have been waits of 45+ mins to get out of MEL after collecting bags on a couple of occasions where they didn't hand them out onboard.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Hmmm I'd be interested to actually see if the red "Express Lane" sticker they give you would be accepted in Australia if you tried to use it....
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Had one two weeks ago WLG to SYD. And the worlds best greeting over about 5mins from the amazing Doris. I have a couple lying around if you want them.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I posted last month about this. My understanding is both the card and FSM/ISM greetings were canned in October in part due to the excessive numbers of Elite's.

I got one on my recent trip to SYD by asking nicely, didn't end up needing it which is the case 80% of the time heading into Aussie.

I'm just cautious after having had two occasions where Murphy and his law came into play and there have been waits of 45+ mins to get out of MEL after collecting bags on a couple of occasions where they didn't hand them out onboard.
When I asked the FSM myself he said he’d give me a couple - when I returned to my seat he had given me two ‘Express Departure’ cards which were definitely done away with years ago - he didn’t seem to know what he was talking about since when I disembarked he said he had asked “and everyone goes in the same line” - yet on exiting after collecting baggage there was an “Expess Psth” logo/sign by Disabled and Air Crew lines.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by drajknox

When I asked the FSM myself he said he’d give me a couple - when I returned to my seat he had given me two ‘Express Departure’ cards which were definitely done away with years ago - he didn’t seem to know what he was talking about since when I disembarked he said he had asked “and everyone goes in the same line” - yet on exiting after collecting baggage there was an “Expess Psth” logo/sign by Disabled and Air Crew lines.
I seriously don't think some people at Air NZ who are responsible for things such as this and for writing arrival PA messages actually understand how things work inside some of the airports. The messages used for arrivals into SFO and LAX for example are simply out of date by years. Their messages about who uses kiosks and who needs to use a counter use are simply inaccurate and wrong.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
I got them flying into both MEL and SYD last month (in J both times) and they made a significant difference, particularly as I arrived at a really busy time in SYD and the queues were huge. I always carry spares.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by edmm
I got them flying into both MEL and SYD last month (in J both times) and they made a significant difference, particularly as I arrived at a really busy time in SYD and the queues were huge. I always carry spares.
Yes when they are needed they can save much time and frustration. I was in J and am also GE so asked when wasn’t given one. In fact I didn’t see any given out. When I asked the FSM he said that there would have been 80 passengers on the flight - J passengers + Elites (20 in Economy) who would have previously got one but he only had 8 - it turned out that the passes he had were the old Express Departure ones and not Express Arrival. I hope that Air NZ hasn’t decided to do away with them as they can be very advantageous. It was very surprising that the FSM didn’t appreciate why they were useful and how they were used.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:14 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I got an express arrival card for Australia a few days ago on an A320 flight.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:33 am

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I seriously don't think some people at Air NZ who are responsible for things such as this and for writing arrival PA messages actually understand how things work inside some of the airports. The messages used for arrivals into SFO and LAX for example are simply out of date by years. Their messages about who uses kiosks and who needs to use a counter use are simply inaccurate and wrong.
oh thats why I got confused :-)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
If you're an ePassport holder I doubt they save much time. I tried to flash mine after arriving from Bangkok a couple of weeks ago to go through Customs after collecting my baggage and was told "We don't use those any more"
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTWFF
If you're an ePassport holder I doubt they save much time. I tried to flash mine after arriving from Bangkok a couple of weeks ago to go through Customs after collecting my baggage and was told "We don't use those any more"
Where was that? They have been useful for me in MEL in the past where there is a long line to clear the last stage before leaving the secure area (passport not looked at there as already cleared immigration so unclear how epassport helps) - there was still an express pass sign up at MEL Tuesday just gone. It is beside the disabled and air crew lines for exit and bypasses what is frequently a long line of passengers.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I got an express arrival card for Australia a few days ago on an A320 flight.
Sydney ? Melbourne ? Brisbane ?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Are these the BP-sized blue and white cards? I have a couple I might use in May if they are still good.

Otherwise they can join the stack of cardboard QF and NZ lounge passes that became useless overnight many years ago....
QTFLYER likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.