Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Xmas Gift this Year

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by lionred2012
This year I have received nothing as a thankyou from Air NZ, however Malaysia very kindly have me vouchers worth NZ$125 to spend on in flight purchases on my next flight.
I have cut my air NZ flights by 66% over the last 2 years and fly the minimum to maintain GE status with Air NZ. The customer experience just doesn't bear comparison with MH.
I fly MH a bit and always look forward to the meal service. I wish I could say the same for NZ. Vintage Tattinger Comtes Blanc de blanc was served on my MH flight last week. This beats EK Moet & SQ Charles Hiedsick. The ability to book my meals before flying sure takes the russian roulette out of whatever PG meals coming my way.

I get it takes time and money putting gifts together. A voucher is a nice alternative to nothing.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by poopbunny
I get it takes time and money putting gifts together. A voucher is a nice alternative to nothing.
A voucher that requires further travel to use is also good for the airline, assuming it can be effectively used. I don't count NZ's upgrade vouchers in this category because they are difficult to use in practice (limited availability) or provide minimal benefits (e.g. trans-Tasman A320 services).
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I disagree about vouchers being no good (for me at least). One year the Elite gift was a short-haul recognition upgrade, and I liked it as I’ve got a 100% success rate using them on TT routes ex AKL. I’d much rather have this than nothing, or the insulting gift to charity.

Last edited by gratn; Dec 28, 2018 at 7:23 pm
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by gratn
I disagree about vouchers being no good (for me at least). One year the Elite gift was a short-haul recognition upgrade, and I liked it as I’ve got a 100% success rate using them on TT routes ex AKL. I’d much rather have this than nothing, or the insulting gift to charity.
SHRU is ok for AKL based people but when based anywhere else they aren't much help. Unless the inconvenience of flying via AKL is counteracted by the upgrade. An extra 2 to 3+ hours of flights and transit for an upgrade?
Ellice and KeepDiscovering like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It's still useful ex WLG or CHC though - yes Works Deluxe isn't PE but using the upgrade to go from seat only is handy especially when they can confirm it at time of booking.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by gratn
Yes, that school charity thing last year was worse than nothing.

So nothing this year is an improvement.

A great gift would be a binding referendum on that "It's Kiwi Safety" video.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Actually this does remind me that AirNZ didn't make any semblance of a gift to charity this last Christmas. Talk about one shot wonders!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
After yet another delay on a regional trip - first flight cancelled, rebooked flight two hours late, I sent an 'I am fed up with your punctuality' email to customer relations. NZ response was yep, we are not hitting OTP but we are working on it. Not a sniff of any compensatory airpoints. Time for us to introduce an EU-style compensation scheme.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
After yet another delay on a regional trip - first flight cancelled, rebooked flight two hours late, I sent an 'I am fed up with your punctuality' email to customer relations. NZ response was yep, we are not hitting OTP but we are working on it. Not a sniff of any compensatory airpoints. Time for us to introduce an EU-style compensation scheme.
I've come to expect it as the norm because it is so common. The biggest issue is when it involves connecting to an international flight. I agree that it is time they started compensating, then I think they would suddenly improve the OTP.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Compensation in the EU is awesome, once the delay is (I think) 4 hours or more. I had a flight on Qatar Airways delayed by 3 hours ex Venice, and this delay meant I missed an onward connection in Doha to Auckland so needed to stay 24 hours in Doha . Qatar Airways provided a decent hotel, transfers, and hotel credit for meals. When I requested it, I also got 600€ in compensation pursuant to some European Regulation.

Something similar happened to me once ex Miami, and United put me in a terrible motel and refused any compensation.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by edmm
I think they would suddenly improve the OTP.
OTP can be fiddled. I had an NZ flight delayed 2 or 3 hours a few years ago. The flight was then cancelled, then a new previously unknown one-off NZ flight number appeared on that same route, departing some hours later. If I had to guess, I would say, everyone on that cancelled flight was re-booked on the new one-off flight, probably on the same plane. If that isn't more magical than the oxygen mask on "Its a Kiwi Safety" video, I don't know what is.
KeepDiscovering likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by zoovet
Actually this does remind me that AirNZ didn't make any semblance of a gift to charity this last Christmas. Talk about one shot wonders!
Xmas 2016 was the RU.

Xmas 2017 was the unilateral decision on "charity". Not all GE may have received the notification.
Elite Xmas Gift

Last edited by poopbunny; Dec 30, 2018 at 10:04 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:00 pm

And then we get interesting things like delay attribution. What is the Airline's Fault Vs Airways Vs Weather Vs shared use facilities at Airport Vs Maintenance Faults Vs Bird Strike Faults etc

If AirNZ actually had an actual domestic competitor (JQ doesn't have the frequency to compete and the 3rd levels save WLG to Top of the South Island don't go head to head) or OneWorld or Skyteam set up a Pacific Rim to NZ competition plan. Things might change.

If fines were going to be a thing. AirNZ would play the card all the Turbo Props routes are too risky from an on time performance because of weather. So we will drop the region centres as when bake in the fines into the profitability of a route the numbers will no longer add up. Guess the Govt will blink first.

And say WLG/AKL which is a 1.45 cycle time (push back to push back) might go to 2 which drops utilisation, so there is enough fat to play catchup and will push the 1.05 flight time to 1.10 or 1.15. Which means higher fares as getting less flights out of the plane and the crew (and because no competitive pressure).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.