Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Xmas Gift this Year

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by yourethegoose
Thought I may as well ask the question about Christmas gifts for Elite's this year - got the following response on chat:

"Although not a listed benefit of the Airpoints programme, Air New Zealand has given Elite members a gift at Christmas time. The gift has been met with mixed feedback.
This year, we have moved the focus away from an Elite Christmas gift and instead look to increase investment in travel products and services to improve the customer experience instead"
It does seem odd that "improved customer experience" includes "Its a 'Kiwi' 'Safety' " inflight video.
Though feedback may be 'mixed' for both, I am guessing likely, in favour of an Elite Gift and against the video.

Last edited by poopbunny; Dec 14, 2018 at 1:40 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by graham_d
WUT!!!! Improving the customer experience by now having a policy NOT to hand out lap belts on sky couch seats when they were previously given out?
They were given out on a flight a few days ago.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:16 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Of course the feedback would have been mixed as the quality of the gifts were reduced each year.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: Airpointes
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
They were given out on a flight a few days ago.
Last flight up to Singapore the FA handed out the lap belt but took the time to explain there had been a policy change and its at the discretion of the flight manager to ignore this policy.
My flight back I had 3 seats on a sky couch but no lap belt handed out so So it appears to be at the mercy of the flight manager at the time.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
WUT!!!! Improving the customer experience by now having a policy NOT to hand out lap belts on sky couch seats when they were previously given out?
I assume this is when your have not purchased the Skycouch?

It has never been policy to hand out belt kits for a DIY Skycouch so no policy change has occured.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:43 pm

Programs: Airpointes
Originally Posted by sbiddle

It has never been policy to hand out belt kits for a DIY Skycouch so no policy change has occured.
Correct, no sky couch purchased, otherwise there would be words.
However as for the policy change/non change the FA did take the time to explain to me that there was indeed a change as she was handing out the belt.
Of course as in any large organization including the ones I directly work its often their own personnel may not understand their own policies.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Last flight up to Singapore the FA handed out the lap belt but took the time to explain there had been a policy change and its at the discretion of the flight manager to ignore this policy.
My flight back I had 3 seats on a sky couch but no lap belt handed out so So it appears to be at the mercy of the flight manager at the time.
I didn't know it was policy. I'd rather elites received the seat belt pack in place of any xmas gift whenever they received an unsold sky couch row. It would be a small change in policy but largely appreciated. Surely it doesn't cost that much for a single belt to be wiped down after a flight.

If I've had a row to myself I usually use the seat belt from the middle seat when lying down. I guess an alternative is to request an extender seatbelt if a bit more wiggle room is needed.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by yourethegoose
we have moved the focus away from an Elite Christmas gift and instead look to increase investment in travel products and services to improve the customer experience instead"
Hahahahahahahahaha........excellent. Air NZ have started writing Christmas cracker jokes this year too :-)
Ellice and ps107 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:41 am

Correct, no sky couch purchased, otherwise there would be words.
However as for the policy change/non change the FA did take the time to explain to me that there was indeed a change as she was handing out the belt.
Of course as in any large organization including the ones I directly work its often their own personnel may not understand their own policies.
Allocating unsold Skycouch rows to Elite (and even Gold) HVCs was an official benefit up until about 3 years ago.

Over the last few years there has been an unofficial policy from crews to simply hand out belt kits to people who asked for them or at times without even asking because CAA had raised issues over the seat as a normal belt is not approved for pax when sleeping across three seats. By doing this they didn't need to wake passengers and get them to sit upright when the seatbelt sign came on which they would have needed to do if they were lying down sleeping and didn't have the belt kit.

Policy now is that Skycouch product is not to be given away for free unless pax have paid for it. It's not a policy change per se, simply the leeway that was being used by crew has been clamped down on.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:34 pm

Policy now is that Skycouch product is not to be given away for free unless pax have paid for it.
And on the other hand they will sell it to you for the grand sum of... $1!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
It makes common sense to give out the belt kits. Otherwise you have people who might get injured if there's turbulence. No pads is fine, but the belts are a safety issue.

Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by jawnbc
It makes common sense to give out the belt kits. Otherwise you have people who might get injured if there's turbulence. No pads is fine, but the belts are a safety issue.
Policy is (and has been for many years) to wake people up sleeping across seats who only have a standard seatbelt as these are not technically approved for that position.

I would assume that crew will simply do this again.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Apparently the Elite Gifts were taken out of budget this year.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Yes, this year's gift is Mark Street leaving.
Best gift ever actually.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: ba, NZ*GE, MH platinum
comparison

I am Gold Elite with Air NZ and Platinum with Malaysia Airlines. This year I have received nothing as a thankyou from Air NZ, however Malaysia very kindly have me vouchers worth NZ$125 to spend on in flight purchases on my next flight.
I have cut my air NZ flights by 66% over the last 2 years and fly the minimum to maintain GE status with Air NZ. The customer experience just doesn't bear comparison with MH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.