Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ Engineers Threaten 21-23 December Strike

Air NZ Engineers Threaten 21-23 December Strike

Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
As an aside, FJ flies their ATR72's across the Pacific.

The thing I'm wondering about is the aircraft outside NZ when the strike kicks in. Those are presumably serviced by non-NZ engineers and cleaners. Will NZ bring them back or leave them outside the country so as to help clear built up loads at the other end of the strike? It'd be fascinating to know what NZ's planning is - they claim to be planning for the strike to happen (Haha - NZ? Plan for a strike?!) but I really doubt their planning is all that sophisticated. The fact they've done nothing (AFAIK) to contact customers and offer up front contingency options shows how high customers rate in their planning.
Only thing they could really do is leave a 773 doing the LAX-LHR rotation.
Raro-LAX and Aussie-Norfolk. Not daily
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Have a flexi fare on a AKL-WLG sector on the 23rd, but just in case I gave Air Chathams a ring and booked a refundable seat on a Flight into Kapiti. Would rather get nearly there then not at all. I can just refund whatever flight I dont end up using.

It's not like any of the AKL lounges are going to be a nice relaxing place to be on any of those days! Although, cant think offhand of a time it has been in the last few years!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:03 pm

Right now it feels like there's a 55% chance the strike will happen and 45% it won't. My pure guess.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I dunno, but I've just taken out comprehensive travel insurance with strike cover. Be damned if I'm leaving it to chance (and credit card complimentary insurance).
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:57 pm

How do you guys think Air NZ will deal with the situation should the strike go ahead?

1. Refund all affected passengers and then passengers can purchase a ticket from another airline (e.g. Qantas, Jetstar)
2. Offer alternative travel either side of the strike (e.g. 19 December, 24 December)
3. Call in some engineers who won't be striking
4. ???
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar
I dunno, but I've just taken out comprehensive travel insurance with strike cover. Be damned if I'm leaving it to chance (and credit card complimentary insurance).
Umm if you brought the insurance after they strike was announced chances are you won't be covered, as it is a known even not an unforeseen event.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
Umm if you brought the insurance after they strike was announced chances are you won't be covered, as it is a known even not an unforeseen event.
Not in the policy exclusions. I specifically selected based on the non-existence of language excluding it.

Thanks Australia Post!
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by curioustill
How do you guys think Air NZ will deal with the situation should the strike go ahead?
Based on previous experience, I believe they will deal with it:

D. Badly. Very, very badly.
Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by JamesBigglesworth; Dec 11, 2018 at 10:43 pm Reason: never mind.... :)
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Based on previous experience, I believe they will deal with it:

D. Badly. Very, very badly.
Based on their total lack of communication with passengers so far, I'd be willing to put money on that. I haven't even seen any media coverage outside NZ media and industry pubs like FT despite Air NZ doing a roaring trade from Australia and the US.

Oh wait, I have a tickets a day after the strike concludes. I did put money on that.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Based on their total lack of communication with passengers so far
What are they supposed to say? Nothing’s happened.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Based on their total lack of communication with passengers so far,.
What should they be saying apart from what has been said so far? I'm really not sure what else they could add. No flight have yet been cancelled or changed so there isn't anything to tell people.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:20 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Not in the policy exclusions. I specifically selected based on the non-existence of language excluding it.

Thanks Australia Post!
The Australia Post policies have a general condition

It is a condition of this policy that:
You are not aware of any circumstance which is likely
to give rise to a claim
;
and a specific condition

We will pay Your reasonable Additional accommodation
(room rate only) and Additional transport expenses, at
the same fare class and accommodation standard as
originally booked, incurred on the Journey due to an
unforeseeable circumstance outside Your control and
resulting from:
a) disruption of Your scheduled transport because of
riot, strike or civil commotion occurring after the
commencement of the Journey provided You act
reasonably in avoiding Additional costs;
and an exclusion

claims directly or indirectly arising from
circumstances You knew of, or a reasonable person
in Your circumstances would know
or foresee, at the
Relevant Time, that could lead to the Journey being
delayed, abandoned or cancelled.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:13 am

If you call the Air NZ number the first thing you hear is a pre-recorded message talking about how there have been no cancellations yet etc.

But what Air NZ needs to tell us is how they're going to deal with it. There are so many of us here who are left in uncertainty because of this strike action.

Travel insurance is great, but when you need to be at a certain place at a certain time for a certain event, no amount of compensation can be enough. Sometimes I don't want the money/cash I just want the service.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: NZ Silver
I just briefly heard on the radio the strike has been cancelled...can’t find anything online though
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: Air New Zealand
Now on Stuff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.