Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ Engineers Threaten 21-23 December Strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ Engineers Threaten 21-23 December Strike

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by bce1
Mt Cook and Air Nelson engineers would be on a different contract?
Correct, different contract so will be running as normal in theory.

Originally Posted by brenrox
What a miserable bunch...I respect their ability to strike, but for the unions to jeopardise peoples plans around Christmas is truly abhorrent. These aren't employees who are treated poorly our paid poorly either, how many other companies give all their staff bonuses?
This is exactly the purpose of strike action in an employment relationship. The intent *is* to cause disruption. Looking at the airline offer (worse hour structures, reduced wages, and claw backs on benefits) I am not surprised that the union fired off an equally ridiculous range of demands. The cleaners and other non-engineering staff under the contract are *not* "well paid".

If they feel so aggrieved, maybe they should see how green the grass is on the other side at say Jetstar?
Right! They should be lucky they're not engineers in Saudi or the UAE where they could be locked up without trial by the government, eh? How dare they exercise legal rights! If the airline is going to maintain record profits then it's only right they should do so on the backs of the employees by reducing comp & benefits!

Etc.

Look, quite honestly, I don't think the public has much to complain about: the union is giving *lots* of notice, the airline has every opportunity to rearrange flights - remember, if the strike goes ahead it's because the airline has chosen to make *no* effort to negotiate in good faith; *any* real effort at GF bargaining by NZ is enough for the airline to then seek an injunction against the action.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by brenrox
What a miserable bunch...I respect their ability to strike, but for the unions to jeopardise peoples plans around Christmas is truly abhorrent. These aren't employees who are treated poorly our paid poorly either, how many other companies give all their staff bonuses? If they feel so aggrieved, maybe they should see how green the grass is on the other side at say Jetstar? Whilst I am "lucky" to have the flexibility that I don't need to be at a wedding, graduation etc., the grandparents who see my daughter 2-3 times a year stand to be deprived of a few days with her, they probably aren't as relaxed as me about it.
We don't get to see our 2 little Australian grandkids that often and I really feel for the massive numbers who are potentially having their precious family time destroyed. I'm just really pleased that yesterday I rang and changed our flights to AKL then on to SYD from 21st to the 20th. The strike is very likely to be cancelled but we really don't like the uncertainty. I'm sure there are a lot of very nervous people out there at present.
Regardless of the rights and wrongs of the strike it is a very cruel time to have it and I doubt it will gain the engineers much sympathy.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:41 am

As a former (non-Air NZ) aircraft engineer and now an employee at a company that employs ex Air NZ engineers I can confidently say Air NZ pays them very well by NZ standards and much better than my previous or current employer.

Unions are just so bad at PR its not funny, and it blows my mind how E tu think pulling this stunt is a good idea at all.
Beano likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Out, brothers, out.
Mitglied likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:21 am

I'm meant to fly out of KIX on the 23rd. Anybody know of what compensation will be available/ will NZ put me up in a hotel if my original flight doesn't run?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by JamesBigglesworth
Correct, different contract so will be running as normal in theory.

This is exactly the purpose of strike action in an employment relationship. The intent *is* to cause disruption. Looking at the airline offer (worse hour structures, reduced wages, and claw backs on benefits) I am not surprised that the union fired off an equally ridiculous range of demands. The cleaners and other non-engineering staff under the contract are *not* "well paid".

Right! They should be lucky they're not engineers in Saudi or the UAE where they could be locked up without trial by the government, eh? How dare they exercise legal rights! If the airline is going to maintain record profits then it's only right they should do so on the backs of the employees by reducing comp & benefits!

Etc.

Look, quite honestly, I don't think the public has much to complain about: the union is giving *lots* of notice, the airline has every opportunity to rearrange flights - remember, if the strike goes ahead it's because the airline has chosen to make *no* effort to negotiate in good faith; *any* real effort at GF bargaining by NZ is enough for the airline to then seek an injunction against the action.
I'm not going to address all your points as 1) I don't have the time and 2) I don't want to derail this thread. I will say that they could've done this at any time and had similar impact, even the period just after the New Year...but, to do it at X-mas simply is not the Kiwi way. I just hope, if the strike goes ahead, the have the courage to picket in public and face those who have had their plans ruined.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Just saw the strike is now up to three days.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Just saw the strike is now up to three days.
Ummm, this news was already noted up-thread last night (post 42). Not sure what your point is...?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:36 pm

Looking at the issues which is reduced overtime and reducing sick leave. Base pay doesn't seem to be a sticking point from what I am reading.

They are in a safety of life role. I as a pax would prefer the person doing maintenance on the plane is 100% not pushing through being sick, as they are out of sick leave, and potentially missing an issue with the plane. There are studies that show places with unlimited sick leave take less of it. Hypothesis is when people are sick they stay home don't infect the rest of the organisation and they get better once and don't do the worse/better/worse/better cycle because they never take the time to actually get better. Often get the same amount of work done if take two days off Vs working a couple of weeks at <100%
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Looking at the issues which is reduced overtime and reducing sick leave. Base pay doesn't seem to be a sticking point from what I am reading.

They are in a safety of life role. I as a pax would prefer the person doing maintenance on the plane is 100% not pushing through being sick, as they are out of sick leave, and potentially missing an issue with the plane. There are studies that show places with unlimited sick leave take less of it. Hypothesis is when people are sick they stay home don't infect the rest of the organisation and they get better once and don't do the worse/better/worse/better cycle because they never take the time to actually get better. Often get the same amount of work done if take two days off Vs working a couple of weeks at <100%
I think this is starting to veer off-topic; there are other places to discuss generic workplace employment matters.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I suppose the real question is, from experience, does anyone here know how resistant NZ is during IRROPS to arrange OAL carriage? I have heard UA does it as the option of last resort, and some carriers are so resistant to it that for the most part if your plane doesn't fly, neither do you.

Because if the strike goes ahead, NZ is going to have a lot of planes in the wrong places, and no way to safely move them. I don't think they'll be sending turboprops over the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, meaning that their fleet may as well be grounded.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kyanar
I suppose the real question is, from experience, does anyone here know how resistant NZ is during IRROPS to arrange OAL carriage? I have heard UA does it as the option of last resort, and some carriers are so resistant to it that for the most part if your plane doesn't fly, neither do you.

Because if the strike goes ahead, NZ is going to have a lot of planes in the wrong places, and no way to safely move them. I don't think they'll be sending turboprops over the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, meaning that their fleet may as well be grounded.
I don't see how they could rebook on other airlines during 3 of the busiest days of the year not just for NZ but for all airlines. The number of seats available would be minimal.

You are in effect looking at what would be a near 3 day grounding of jet services in a worst case scenario. The impact of other airlines who may rely on NZ engineering is also an unknown.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
The people I feel sorry for in all this (apart from the tens of thousands of affected passengers) are the staff in the call center. They must be having a horrible time and not able to help many people at all.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Ummm, this news was already noted up-thread last night (post 42). Not sure what your point is...?
This might have been hard to guess... But it turns out, I accidentally missed that update which is why I posted it?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by kyanar
As an aside, FJ flies their ATR72's across the Pacific.

The thing I'm wondering about is the aircraft outside NZ when the strike kicks in. Those are presumably serviced by non-NZ engineers and cleaners. Will NZ bring them back or leave them outside the country so as to help clear built up loads at the other end of the strike? It'd be fascinating to know what NZ's planning is - they claim to be planning for the strike to happen (Haha - NZ? Plan for a strike?!) but I really doubt their planning is all that sophisticated. The fact they've done nothing (AFAIK) to contact customers and offer up front contingency options shows how high customers rate in their planning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.