Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to hide booking from someones airpoints app?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Looking to book a surprise holiday away for my partner sometime next year and am wondering if I will be able to hide the booking from her app. Is there a way to do this?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:41 pm

Don't enter their Airpoints details when you book the flight - either claim Airpoints retrospectively, or add the details to the booking after you've sprung the surprise.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:17 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Don't enter their Airpoints details when you book the flight
Yep did this recently. Only caveat is if you are trying to gift airpoints. With the help of the call centre they added a giftee with the same details and no FF number (for no cost).

Never showed on my wife's app.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by dgnz
Yep did this recently. Only caveat is if you are trying to gift airpoints. With the help of the call centre they added a giftee with the same details and no FF number (for no cost).

Never showed on my wife's app.
good to know - wondering if seat select to premium seats was available with this? thanks
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I wonder if you could do this using their Airpoints FF# for seating etc, and after selecting seats etc then use MMB to set the FF# to 'no program'? I presume this might only work if the 'person to be surprised' doesn't refresh the app whilst the surprise is being sorted out.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I wonder if you could do this using their Airpoints FF# for seating etc, and after selecting seats etc then use MMB to set the FF# to 'no program'? I presume this might only work if the 'person to be surprised' doesn't refresh the app whilst the surprise is being sorted out.
If the booking is made with AirPoints though isn't this impossible?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I didn't read that OP was looking to book the flights using Airpoints, but simply wanted to ensure the booking didn't show up in the recipients Airpoints account.

Indeed, if the booking is being made using Airpoints to pay, then the suggestions above would very likely fail without call centre staff intervention
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by kyanar
If the booking is made with AirPoints though isn't this impossible?
would be a hell of a treat to book someone a trip using their own airpoints 🤣🤣🤣
Erasmus III likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:33 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I didn't read that OP was looking to book the flights using Airpoints, but simply wanted to ensure the booking didn't show up in the recipients Airpoints account.

Indeed, if the booking is being made using Airpoints to pay, then the suggestions above would very likely fail without call centre staff intervention
Yeah, OP didn't specifically say but just wanted to mention it in case it was the case and for anyone else reading.

Originally Posted by nancypants
would be a hell of a treat to book someone a trip using their own airpoints 🤣🤣🤣
No, using your AirPoints. One of the rules of gift register (and therefore gift flights) is you must provide their AirPoints number, or it signs them up for AirPoints when you add them to your register. Nowhere did I imply using their​​​​​​​ AirPoints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.