Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meals

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Special Meals

I've recently learned I'm lactose intolerant, so will need to order special meals from now on, so have a few questions about those:

- The Low Fat Meal (LFML) looks like it'll be broadly appropriate, except that I may have to avoid cottage cheese if it ends up showing up. If it does in fact have other dairy, it looks like I'd have to go for one of the vegan options. I'm not missing anything here, I assume?

- How do the special meals in PE/J compare to the normal meals in those classes?

- Anything else I might find helpful to know about ANZ's special meals? (Or airline special meals in general)
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by bcarmicle
I've recently learned I'm lactose intolerant, so will need to order special meals from now on, so have a few questions about those:

- The Low Fat Meal (LFML) looks like it'll be broadly appropriate, except that I may have to avoid cottage cheese if it ends up showing up. If it does in fact have other dairy, it looks like I'd have to go for one of the vegan options. I'm not missing anything here, I assume?

- How do the special meals in PE/J compare to the normal meals in those classes?

- Anything else I might find helpful to know about ANZ's special meals? (Or airline special meals in general)

For those who stop by this thread, this is the NZ page for Special Meals

https://www.airnewzealand.ca/special...iets-allergies

If you are now lactose-intolerant, only you know if any dairy that is an ingredients in other foods, will bother you. Some people can't have milk or cheese, others can't have products that contain dairy. So low-fat may work and you can avoid the cheese, or not.

In general, based on my experiences with Lacto-Ovo, Vegetarian, Vegetarian Oriental on airlines such as BR, CX, AC, and a few others, some airlines have awesome meals and some can not be described as edible. I find that the Vegetarian Oriental has been the safest and best experiences. Asian Vegetarian is Indian food on most airlines. And yes, confusing for some and it only takes one mistake to know that if one can't or doesn't eat curry. At least NZ calls it hindu Vegetarian which is a much better description.

You can always try calling NZ and perhaps an agent has more info to offer.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by 24left
For those who stop by this thread, this is the NZ page for Special Meals

https://www.airnewzealand.ca/special...iets-allergies

On my last trip I tried the fruit platter given my allergies/intolerances. That is certainly one someone who is lactose intolerant can do, but beware you will be absolutely overwhelmed by fruit. The appetizer is fruit, the main meal is a lot of fruit, the dessert is fruit, breakfast is a lot of fruit, etc.The fruit was good, but it was simply too much fruit.

As an FYI to others, the gluten-free meal is for people who are gluten intolerant NOT gluten allergic.
24left likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/spec...s#special-meal

Hindu vegetarian meal (AVML) - This non-vegetarian meal follows Hindu customs, dietary practices and beliefs. It may include chicken, fish, lamb, eggs, milk and dairy products. It will not contain beef.
Hopefully this is just a copy / paste error, otherwise there will be some rather upset passengers.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
.....Hopefully this is just a copy / paste error, otherwise there will be some rather upset passengers.
Indeed.

Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Special Order Meals in Business?

I am flying Chicago to Auckland in business. I am a vegetarian and noticed many of the menus I see only have meat options (I eat dairy and eggs), in my experience special meals on business prohibit you from any of the good parts as it's basically an expanded economy meal.

Does anyone have any insight as I have never flown Air New Zealand before. Do they offer a vegetarian entree on most flights? if not, has anyone ever special ordered one?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chitink
I am flying Chicago to Auckland in business. I am a vegetarian and noticed many of the menus I see only have meat options (I eat dairy and eggs), in my experience special meals on business prohibit you from any of the good parts as it's basically an expanded economy meal.

Does anyone have any insight as I have never flown Air New Zealand before. Do they offer a vegetarian entree on most flights? if not, has anyone ever special ordered one?
@chitink

BTW, there already is a Special Meals' thread on this forum. It would be great to keep all posts on this topic in one thread to make it easier for others to search.

Special Meals

There is also a thread for Business Class Meals - Menus & Photos

A few menus are posted so you can see if there is any topic that may help you.

Obviously menus change but the advice often given is, ask the airline, order the SPML, and bring extra snacks - even in business. Airlines don't guarantee exact ingredients.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
If you want a vegetarian meal you'll have to order a vegetarian meal. Air NZ don't carry vegetarian meals onboard as a standard option.

Here's a copy of the current menu ex ORD (breakfast is on the next page which I'd have to take a photo of at home).

chitink likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbiddle
If you want a vegetarian meal you'll have to order a vegetarian meal. Air NZ don't carry vegetarian meals onboard as a standard option.

Here's a copy of the current menu ex ORD (breakfast is on the next page which I'd have to take a photo of at home).

Thanks for that! Do you know if you order a special meal can you still get bread, dessert etc. from the normal Biz menu? on AA if you special order a meal, that's it you get a whole tray of things that aren't very appealing!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by chitink
Thanks for that! Do you know if you order a special meal can you still get bread, dessert etc. from the normal Biz menu? on AA if you special order a meal, that's it you get a whole tray of things that aren't very appealing!
Bread is just distributed around the cabin by crew from a bread basket during service so there would be no issues getting bread.

For desserts I wouldn't see any issues either. You may get a vegetarian desert if you order one, but it's something there is always extra of so I'd be very surprised if crew couldn't give you one off the main menu as well if you wanted it.
chitink likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: QF, NZ, NH
Have never had any problems with getting desserts, bakery, cheese from the regular menu.
chitink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.