Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas WiFi Special

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Do all the 77W's and 77E's have Wifi fitted?
No. It's still an ongoing project.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12170453

Someone predicts "bandwidth crush" who just might know a bit about networking.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
It just tells you currently no one is paying to use their Wifi. The same goes for the recent $1 upgrade for couples to get a SkyCouch. Tells you very few people are paying for SkyCouch. May be the last resort before dumping SkyCouch on new aircraft.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
It just tells you currently no one is paying to use their Wifi. The same goes for the recent $1 upgrade for couples to get a SkyCouch. Tells you very few people are paying for SkyCouch. May be the last resort before dumping SkyCouch on new aircraft.
I can assure you that on long haul flights plenty of people are paying for WiFi. That's what makes the decision to make it free slightly puzzling.

The cynic is me suspects Inmarsat aren't charging them while they deal with the issues - and somebody in marketing has decided to then turn this around and offer the service for free without even thinking about the technical limitations nor the long term implications when suddenly you then want people to pay for something that's been offered for free.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I can assure you that on long haul flights plenty of people are paying for WiFi. That's what makes the decision to make it free slightly puzzling.

The cynic is me suspects Inmarsat aren't charging them while they deal with the issues - and somebody in marketing has decided to then turn this around and offer the service for free without even thinking about the technical limitations nor the long term implications when suddenly you then want people to pay for something that's been offered for free.
What longterm implications would you expect when the pricing returns? It's been advertised as a limited promo. Promos and sales come and go all the time.

Regarding sky couches I have to admit I've previously had the thought they weren't promoting it very well - which I thought would work in my favour one day. It's something I am still keen to try.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
What longterm implications would you expect when the pricing returns? It's been advertised as a limited promo. Promos and sales come and go all the time.

I see a big difference between giving something away for free for 3 months vs having a sale where say flights are cheap.

What is your (or anybody else's) perceived value of the WiFi product after you see Air NZ offering it for free to everybody? Would you then be willing to pay $40 for it?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:04 pm

I see a big difference between giving something away for free for 3 months vs having a sale where say flights are cheap.

What is your (or anybody else's) perceived value of the WiFi product after you see Air NZ offering it for free to everybody? Would you then be willing to pay $40 for it?
Also link bandwidth is a finite thing. If lots of people use it at the same time will get an experience not worth paying for, so going forward people won't pay for it.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:11 pm

There are lots of things Air NZ do that puzzle me. This tops that list at present.
For me it is the management and creative process behind Its "Kiwi" "Safety" video and the length of its run.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:04 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum

I think the service at its current pricing is expensive compared to other carriers. The free promo period doesn't alter my valuation of inflight wifi at all. If someone else used a pizza code for a cheaper price, it doesn't stop me buying pizza at the normal price in future.

Even if the promo period is a poor experience I would retrial it later. $9/hr option won't break the bank. Could ask the FA if there's any complaints or another passenger if it's working ok. What I would get angry at is paying $40 and it being an awful experience. If it's free I feel I've lost nothing.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
NZ 1 (OKQ) mid Atlantic - 117 connected. Browsing and email feel ok to use - 1mbps down and 0.5 mbps on speed test - so pretty slow but reasonable for light surfing.
freemark likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Curious note just discovered on NZ135 headed over the Tasman (not as curious as the 15 hour NZ29 not having it but the 3 hour NZ135 having it ... sigh)

Appears Apple Music works on the inflight wifi even before selecting a plan - which suggests that even when chargable, you’ll still be able to use it for free (which I highly doubt is intentional, as unlike Qantas who actively encourage use of inflight wifi to access streaming entertainment over the plane’s IFE library, NZ discourages it as UA does).
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:35 pm

NZ28/29 routinely has WiFi now as it's being operated by 777 fleet for the Northern Winter.

It doesn't have it when it's operated by the 789 since none of the 789 fleet has WiFi.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar
Curious note just discovered on NZ135 headed over the Tasman (not as curious as the 15 hour NZ29 not having it but the 3 hour NZ135 having it ... sigh)

Appears Apple Music works on the inflight wifi even before selecting a plan - which suggests that even when chargable, you’ll still be able to use it for free (which I highly doubt is intentional, as unlike Qantas who actively encourage use of inflight wifi to access streaming entertainment over the plane’s IFE library, NZ discourages it as UA does).
Hmm interesting they still don't have the security right..... client isolation, captive portal correct, etc. Most prosumer and up kit its pretty much a tick box these days. Wi-Fi I have tested is normally in one of the two camps configured correctly or a mess.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
NZ28/29 routinely has WiFi now as it's being operated by 777 fleet for the Northern Winter.

It doesn't have it when it's operated by the 789 since none of the 789 fleet has WiFi.
Was a 777-300ER.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kyanar
Was a 777-300ER.
Most of the 77W/77E fleet have been fitted with wifi there is still a couple around that don't, plus the 3x short-term leased 777s don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.