FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   New staff (Swissport) at SYD for AirNZ (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1942932-new-staff-swissport-syd-airnz.html)

ukflyer1 Nov 28, 2018 9:02 pm

New staff (Swissport) at SYD for AirNZ

Flew out of SYD on AirNZ on Tuesday and it was the first day for a new team doing check in and gate duties. Swissport I believe. A number of "genuine" AirNZ staff around to help - but still fairly chaotic, with lots of learning. Bag drop took a bunch of time to weigh gear, three staff to input weights etc. Flight was delayed on the tarmac for 1 hour due to paperwork mismatch between groundstaff and planestaff. All sorted in the end and flight was otherwise smooth.

Hopefully they get up to speed quickly. I hadn't seen this before so just sharing my observations.

Markhm Nov 28, 2018 9:50 pm

I was in SYD yesterday too...hopeless.

I landed in MEL on day 1 (about 2 weeks ago). It took 10 minutes to line up air bridge with plane...pilot was grumpy. Despite all the waiting there was still an 18 inch drop to airbridge.

hodi Nov 29, 2018 1:55 am

Gah balls. Flying back sat. Have they moved the gate back or still using the bus gate?

ukflyer1 Nov 29, 2018 2:08 am

I flew SYD-CHC and it was at a gate. A few months ago it was a bus, so at least that was an improvement. The gate (?63) was a walk from security, but near the AirNZ lounge.

hodi Nov 29, 2018 4:37 am

Originally Posted by ukflyer1 (Post 30478793)
I flew SYD-CHC and it was at a gate. A few months ago it was a bus, so at least that was an improvement. The gate (?63) was a walk from security, but near the AirNZ lounge.

Sweet thanks, back to normal. Did the buses last time wow that was an experience with 5 different flight queues. The some idiot elite got nailed by the po-po for assaulting one of the gate staff so we had to off load while they found him!

mmonster Nov 29, 2018 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Markhm (Post 30478346)
I was in SYD yesterday too...hopeless.

I landed in MEL on day 1 (about 2 weeks ago). It took 10 minutes to line up air bridge with plane...pilot was grumpy. Despite all the waiting there was still an 18 inch drop to airbridge.

It really is a same old problem, people who operate the bridge are either not skilled or it is legitimately a very difficult thing to do?
If the operator knows what type the aircraft is, it may help..... SYD is worse, never experienced this in HKG where 2 bridges are used.....

hodi Nov 30, 2018 3:24 pm

Nope, the Wellington flights are 26A and buses today at least :(

Flyerholic Nov 30, 2018 4:43 pm

I flew MEL-AKL last Friday connecting to LAX flight. Passport processed at check in then paged at the gate to swipe it again then on board came looking for me to take passport and swipe again. I was in Business Premier and the crew on board said the departure process was a mess and they promised the plane would not leave without my passport LOL. The passport was MIA for 20 minutes until the young swissport employee came rushing on board to return it to me just in time to shut the door 15 minutes past departure time.

kindagot Nov 30, 2018 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by ukflyer1 (Post 30478250)
Flew out of SYD on AirNZ on Tuesday and it was the first day for a new team doing check in and gate duties. Swissport I believe. A number of "genuine" AirNZ staff around to help - but still fairly chaotic, with lots of learning. Bag drop took a bunch of time to weigh gear, three staff to input weights etc. Flight was delayed on the tarmac for 1 hour due to paperwork mismatch between groundstaff and planestaff. All sorted in the end and flight was otherwise smooth.

Hopefully they get up to speed quickly. I hadn't seen this before so just sharing my observations.

They hadn't improved much by Friday!' Pretty chaotic at the gate Waited ages to board despite being up front. Delays with paperwork. Inbound was 20 minutes late. I like the groundstaff branding though, chinos and tshirt.

Tag1987 Dec 1, 2018 1:48 am

Originally Posted by hodi (Post 30478780)
Gah balls. Flying back sat. Have they moved the gate back or still using the bus gate?

I believe gate is airport not airline related. If all the *A gates are full then youre out of luck. Syd suffers bad congestion, especially at peak.

hodi Dec 1, 2018 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Tag1987 (Post 30486573)

I believe gate is airport not airline related. If all the *A gates are full then youre out of luck. Syd suffers bad congestion, especially at peak.

Seemed to be works going on the first time but this time must’ve been congestion as you say.

oh well the fact it was the 1st of the month and I didn’t have to watch the safety video made it all ok!

Kiwi Flyer Dec 1, 2018 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Tag1987 (Post 30486573)

Yup. Even seen stands being used over near the hangars on the other side.

Sometimes I've had flights arrive on time only to get directed down an unused taxiway to park for 30 minutes to wait for a stand to become free.

Delays in and out of SYD have gotten so normal in the morning rush that I've taken to booking longer connections whenever I can.