Premium lane Auckland airport

Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by nzkarit
The new 3D xrays look interesting as apparently with those you don't need to take anything out. I have my laptop is the laptop pocket and my LAGs in a bag pack at the top for easy access. Wish more people would do that.

Though recently when travelling domestically AvSec have become more interesting in my cable bag. Have a packing cell which has my laptop charger, a few USB Cables, a few 3-5m network cables, a handful of USB Ethernet adapters,, a handful of USB Wi-Fi adapters, a mouse, etc in it.
Likewise, last domestic trip WLG-CHC my 'cable' bag inside my cabin bag was of interest, so the lot was put through x-ray again, and then I had to open it all to show the items - I think the multi-port USB charging hub with a birds nest of cables wrapped around it made it look interesting...
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Likewise, last domestic trip WLG-CHC my 'cable' bag inside my cabin bag was of interest, so the lot was put through x-ray again, and then I had to open it all to show the items - I think the multi-port USB charging hub with a birds nest of cables wrapped around it made it look interesting...
I have the exact same thing - my USB charger with power cable and three USB cables in a small zip up bag. It's very interesting how things differ and how different NZ airports even process things and what they want to look it.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
i find the NZ security much more intrusive than overseas - I have had to open bag with a far higher frequency in NZ than overseas and last December a plane was held up 20 min in ZQN while the head scanner decided it was his right to question me as to why I had so many bank cards including some from overseas banks - he decided he should inspect my card wallet and despite them all being in my name he felt it was his right to interrogate me. I politely pointed out that I was a NZ Citizen traveling domestically, that they were all mine and it was none of his business but he didn’t agree so held up the plane. He told me he would call the Police if I didn’t allow him to look through them and question me - I said I would love him to call the Police so that I could put in a harassment complaint against him - the Police Officer came over and I explained why I was upset and the interrogation stopped and I was allowed to board the plane, I was going to make a formal complaint but never got around to it.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drajknox

i find the NZ security much more intrusive than overseas - I have had to open bag with a far higher frequency in NZ than overseas and last December a plane was held up 20 min in ZQN while the head scanner decided it was his right to question me as to why I had so many bank cards including some from overseas banks - he decided he should inspect my card wallet and despite them all being in my name he felt it was his right to interrogate me. I politely pointed out that I was a NZ Citizen traveling domestically, that they were all mine and it was none of his business but he didn’t agree so held up the plane. He told me he would call the Police if I didn’t allow him to look through them and question me - I said I would love him to call the Police so that I could put in a harassment complaint against him - the Police Officer came over and I explained why I was upset and the interrogation stopped and I was allowed to board the plane, I was going to make a formal complaint but never got around to it.
how many cards ?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:42 pm

Best thing about NZ security is I never have to take off my shoes, watch, belt. They seem to have the metal detector sensitivity tuned to a reasonable level. I remember one occasion in an overseas domestic airport where I even had to take off my glasses because they were setting off the metal detector.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by ps107
Best thing about NZ security is I never have to take off my shoes, watch, belt. They seem to have the metal detector sensitivity tuned to a reasonable level. I remember one occasion in an overseas domestic airport where I even had to take off my glasses because they were setting off the metal detector.
I’ve had a different experience - I’ve beeped going through the NZ Scanners a much higher proportion of times than in AU. I also had to take off my belt once in AKL domestic last year - never in AU and on current trip to US only 1/3 checkpoints did I have to remove shoes and belt.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Wow and here I love NZ security. The international terminal in Christchurch is wonderful. Whenever they have to inspect your bag they are ridiculously nice about it and apologetic. It always is fun to then compare that to the security at my final destination, which is usually the USA, which is obviously extraordinarily unfriendly.
​​​​
ps107 likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Wow and here I love NZ security. The international terminal in Christchurch is wonderful. Whenever they have to inspect your bag they are ridiculously nice about it and apologetic. It always is fun to then compare that to the security at my final destination, which is usually the USA, which is obviously extraordinarily unfriendly.
​​​​
And by saying "extraordinarily unfriendly" you are being quite kind. Give me Kiwi security over American security any day.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by bce1
I haven’t seen it mentioned here, but priority customs and security screening are back at AIA.
Not huge lines tonight but express definitely faster.
Huh? Immigration and customs are on arrival (but no security), whereas immigration and security are on departure (but no customs).

I think you mean on departure (a new priority lane had opened up 2 weeks ago).

Originally Posted by sopwith7
Is the new express lane available to *G pax travelling in Y?
I doubt it - it isn't a *G priority line.

Even flying first or business on some airlines doesn't give access (only those which have paid for access can use it).
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Huh? Immigration and customs are on arrival (but no security), whereas immigration and security are on departure (but no customs).

Even flying first or business on some airlines doesn't give access (only those which have paid for access can use it).

Thanks, just went through on the non-express side. The new lane says "Express - by invitation only" with no other signage, so definitely not a priority or express path at this time. Hardly anyone around so it wouldn't have made any difference. Merges with the regular lines at the front and express are directed to the next open spot in the screening line.

Huge improvement in that whole area though, much nicer now. Would still get jammed during busy periods.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P

Yes departures. ........ you definitely go through Customs on departure - labelled / uniformed Customs officers and definitely not immigration NZ staff, They may be doing a partly immigration role, but on departure you are definitely face to face (unless you use a kiosk) with a customs officer.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 4:00 pm

Auckland isn’t listed at https://www.staralliance.com/en/gold...ports-overview
Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Nice. Probably my fastest ever through screening at AKL.
From the elevator straight down to immigration then no wait for security.
Very very good.
Nice they head plenty of security lanes open on a Sunday afternoon.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by drajknox
In practice, you do, but only if you fly with NZ and not the other *A airlines (hence the non-inclusion on the *A gold track site).

*G pax gets access to the NZ premium check-in area and the lift, so you are joining the express lane by default.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by akl_cat
In practice, you do, but only if you fly with NZ and not the other *A airlines (hence the non-inclusion on the *A gold track site).

*G pax gets access to the NZ premium check-in area and the lift, so you are joining the express lane by default.
Great point.

I had checked in at WLG so didn't need to use the premium check-in, but will enquire for future flights to see if it's ok for *G flying NZ to join the express line at the main entrance to security.

Last edited by sopwith7; Dec 2, 2018 at 3:35 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.