Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First NZ/QF flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
First NZ/QF flight

Today I flew a few sectors (and saw safety video in J...it is worse as it’s longer&#128553

Finished with my first flight on the NZ/ QF code share.

my observations.

1. could not choose QF seats, was allocated 17 (in Dash 8) but got is changed in SYD
2. QF do not recognise my status, I could not enter Business Lounge, only Qantas club
3. No status credits

Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: QF WP
If it makes you feel any better i’m QF gold and am never able to select seats on the dash in advance 😉
Old Nov 25, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Markhm
2. QF do not recognise my status, I could not enter Business Lounge, only Qantas club
3. No status credits
Both of these items are in line with what AirNZ says on their website:

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-o...artners-qantas
https://www.airnzagent.co.nz/qantas-codeshare

Airpoints Elite and Gold customers, plus one guest, will have access to Qantas’ Domestic Club lounges when connecting onto (or commencing) a codeshare service. E.g. an eligible customer flying from AKL NZ SYD QF CBR will have access at Air NZ lounge at AKL international and the Qantas Club lounge at SYD domestic terminal.
Note no mention of Business Lounges, but rather 'Club' lounges. There isn't any differentiation between Gold & Elite, so NZ*E isn't treated as 'Partner Platinum' or anything like that.

If you travel on a Qantas operated flight with an NZ flight number (e.g. NZ7000) domestically within Australia you will earn Airpoints Dollars based on the earning rates in the Partner flights section of the Airpoints Dollars earning rates look up table. Status Points are not able to be earned.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Originally Posted by KiwiJC
Both of these items are in line with what AirNZ says on their website:

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/co-o...artners-qantas
https://www.airnzagent.co.nz/qantas-codeshare

Note no mention of Business Lounges, but rather 'Club' lounges. There isn't any differentiation between Gold & Elite, so NZ*E isn't treated as 'Partner Platinum' or anything like that.
I should have read the T&Cs myself.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:17 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
I did this today AKL-SYD-CBR (in Y), but what was interesting was that my AKL-SYD flight was over an hour late, so I was rebooked onto another SYD-CBR flight (got the boarding pass at SYD QF domestic transfer). Then I tried to get into the Qantas Club with my Airpoints Card....
1. I had been rebooked on a QF flight number, not an NZ one (the original SYD-CBR flight was an NZ code), so this caused trouble to get me access to the Qantas Club with my NZ status.
2. I was asked about QF status, so I offered my BA status (being higher than QF in OW) and it was simple enough to credit the QF flight to BAEC and I gained access to the Business Lounge (as I would if I booked in QF myself). I'll be getting points credited to BAEC from it too.

So the lesson is, if you are rebooked onto a QF domestic flight (without a NZ codeshare ticket attached), you may face difficulty getting into the Qantas Club lounges using your NZ status (assuming it is in economy), without OW Sapphire or Emerald status.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: *G
No seat selection in J on QF codeshares

Shortly after the NZ/QF codeshare arrangement started, I booked a J trip HBA-(QF)-SYD-(NZ)-AKL for this February. Although I was given the QF locator, no seat assignment was possible, which NZ put down to the arrangement being new. I have since tried unsuccessfully online (although the QF website recognizes the locator), and called QF, but they cannot allocate a seat.

One of the links posted up-thread says that "Generic Seat Select is available" - does anyone know what that means, and has anyone had any experience trying to select seats in J on an NZ/QF codeshare?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by fin 645
Shortly after the NZ/QF codeshare arrangement started, I booked a J trip HBA-(QF)-SYD-(NZ)-AKL for this February. Although I was given the QF locator, no seat assignment was possible, which NZ put down to the arrangement being new. I have since tried unsuccessfully online (although the QF website recognizes the locator), and called QF, but they cannot allocate a seat.

One of the links posted up-thread says that "Generic Seat Select is available" - does anyone know what that means, and has anyone had any experience trying to select seats in J on an NZ/QF codeshare?
"Generic Seat Select" in my experience usually means old school "window or aisle?'

YMMV.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
If the flight is on a turboprop for QF you generally cannot choose a specific seat in advance.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by libertyuk
If the flight is on a turboprop for QF you generally cannot choose a specific seat in advance.
Definitely not a Dash 8. It shows as a 717 with a separate J cabin. QF agent I spoke to put me on hold to seek help but came back that they can't do it. Looks like a system glitch to me.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Are you definitely seated in J for the QF flight? Booking J doesn't guarantee that (even on a flight with J) , but will tell you at the time of booking otherwise.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Are you definitely seated in J for the QF flight? Booking J doesn't guarantee that (even on a flight with J) , but will tell you at the time of booking otherwise.
Good point, but NZ confirmation says Business - booking class J. The QF booking info using their locator online clearly says "Travel Class Business (J)".

If I try to select a seat on the QF website, the page just goes into limbo - the 3 little dots just go on forever!

It seems to be an NZ/QF codeshare glitch, but I wondered if anyone else had a similar experience or had found a way to deal with it.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
QF blocks crazy numbers of seats for their own elites (all of rows 1-2 for domestic Business if I recall); could it also be possible that calling QF failed because no seats are available for assignment? Perhaps unlikely for a sector like HBA-SYD.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by findark
QF blocks crazy numbers of seats for their own elites (all of rows 1-2 for domestic Business if I recall); could it also be possible that calling QF failed because no seats are available for assignment? Perhaps unlikely for a sector like HBA-SYD.
Thanks for leading me to the explanation - looking at EF, there are two seats occupied, and all the remaining 10 seats are blocked. EF shows J6, so there is space at the moment. It would have been so much simpler if NZ or QF could have offered the explanation!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by fin 645
Thanks for leading me to the explanation - looking at EF, there are two seats occupied, and all the remaining 10 seats are blocked. EF shows J6, so there is space at the moment. It would have been so much simpler if NZ or QF could have offered the explanation!
All is not lost. The QF J seat map should open up somewhat a few days prior to the flight (T-80?), and then a 'free-for-all' at T-24. I can't recall the exact details, so ask on the QANTAS board for info!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
On QF 737 (maybe also 717) Business, rows 1 & 2 are blocked for QF Platinum and above. Row 1 may even be only for Platinum One and Chairmans Lounge. As TK says, they open up at T-80 for others to select if not already taken

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.