Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ calling from Shanghai?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E
Air NZ calling from Shanghai?

Got a call from their Asia Office asking me to change flights as cabin is over booked!
This is a new low to me, has anyone experienced this before? I usually get emails for change of schedule and I understand their problems with 789 but it really is there problem! Booked months out and there were plenty of seats at the time of booking
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:33 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Which part is the new low? A call from Shanghai?

As for overbooking, it happens all the time to all airlines. Last time my PVG flight was oversold, I was told they offered someone in economy to fly Business Class on Cathay via HKG. I would have happily taken the offer.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Which part is the new low? A call from Shanghai?

As for overbooking, it happens all the time to all airlines. Last time my PVG flight was oversold, I was told they offered someone in economy to fly Business Class on Cathay via HKG. I would have happily taken the offer.
Yep, from Shanghai. with the amount of fake calls, I just do not like a foreign number - also, the agent's language abilities was not good.
I would not mind if they made me this offer, the flight is not until Jan 2019 and the only option was change of date, which is not acceptable.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster
Yep, from Shanghai. with the amount of fake calls, I just do not like a foreign number - also, the agent's language abilities was not good.
I would not mind if they made me this offer, the flight is not until Jan 2019 and the only option was change of date, which is not acceptable.
I don't see any problem with calls from Shanghai for a flight ex PVG. If you are not happy with the change of date, just decline and most likely they will move on and call someone else. A non issue really.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

well, the flight is not from PVG..... the call is...
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
well, the flight is not from PVG..... the call is...
well, your post wasn't very clear on that. Just tell them no
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
well, your post wasn't very clear on that. Just tell them no
already told them no.
just strange to call from PVG, I have booked my tickets here in NZ
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Got a call from their Asia Office asking me to change flights as cabin is over booked!
This is a new low to me, has anyone experienced this before? I usually get emails for change of schedule and I understand their problems with 789 but it really is there problem! Booked months out and there were plenty of seats at the time of booking
Sounds dodgy to me.
Did they ask you any verification questions, or some such?
I can't recall ANY airline EVER calling me to ask me to change a flight. Can you verify through airnewzealand.co.nz if the flight is really sold out?
Sounds super dodgy to me.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by narvik
Sounds dodgy to me.
Did they ask you any verification questions, or some such?
I can't recall ANY airline EVER calling me to ask me to change a flight.
Sounds super dodgy to me.
Many airlines do, but in this case it does sound dodgy that they asked to call "Asia Office", I'd say "I'll think about it and call you back" and call the general customer care number or Asia number from the website, rather than whatever number they provide.
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:47 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
With so many spam calls these days I don’t even answer an international call unless I know the number.

The initial post was of interest as I’m currently in Hangzhou and flying out of PVG back to AKL in a few days time.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by WLG Base
With so many spam calls these days I don’t even answer an international call unless I know the number.

The initial post was of interest as I’m currently in Hangzhou and flying out of PVG back to AKL in a few days time.
There's a cool app called TrueCaller, it tells you who's calling before you pick up, so long as it's not a private/blocked number. Works well for this kind of scenario (comes up bright red for spam calls)
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:37 am
Original Poster

that is what I was trying to say, the ticket is nothing to do with Shanghai and why would they use the Asia office to contact customers? And no, there were no verifications of any sort. I do not understand why when it was issued here in NZ.
The agent's language abilities is also limited. The airline did not even ask me to fly with another airline on the same date but either minus 2 or plus 2 days. This is not acceptable. I will be very crossed if they kept my same booking but downgrade me on the day.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:22 am

that is what I was trying to say, the ticket is nothing to do with Shanghai and why would they use the Asia office to contact customers? And no, there were no verifications of any sort. I do not understand why when it was issued here in NZ.
The agent's language abilities is also limited. The airline did not even ask me to fly with another airline on the same date but either minus 2 or plus 2 days. This is not acceptable. I will be very crossed if they kept my same booking but downgrade me on the day.
You are right. There is no reason why the Shanghai office should contact you. Shanghai is not cheap nor does it have enough competent English speaking staff. It makes no sense to have a call centre based there.

Where are you flying from and to? If this call was indeed legit, I can only guess that this Shanghai employee might be trying to be smart and try to accommodate a large group from China to your flight. I can't imagine this would have been sanctioned by his superior.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:30 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Why not call an office in NZ to check, if you're worried?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
And no, there were no verifications of any sort.
Wondering if this agent knew your flight number, booking reference & other details, or if you volunteered these.
How likely do you think it was an Air NZ employee?
It reeks like a scam for sure, but could be some rogue agent up to some weird shenanigans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.