Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Strange pricing - cheaper with 2 more flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:45 am
Original Poster

I’m heading to DFW next week probably via IAH for a meeting. Leaving AKL 28NOV Leaving DFW 30NOV.

When pricing the AKL-IAH-AKL using NZ0028 and NZ0029 the return Business Class fare showed as $12161 with AP843 and SP808.

When changing the itinerary AKL-IAH-DFW-IAH-AKL using the same NZ0028 and NZ0029 flights but including connecting flights to/from DFW the return Business Class fare DECREASED to $11869 with AP757 and SP775.

I realize this is because in first example booking classes are D and C whereas in second example Z and D - these are flights/classes offered by Air NZ booking engine but it seems odd that adding two additional flights actually makes the AKL-IAH and IAH-AKL segments significantly cheaper.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: NZ*E
This seems to be a fairl classic case of competition; Auckland to Houston direct has no competition, but a one stop to DFW definitely does with Qantas.

I guess in this case AirNZ is willing to offer lower fares as long as the married segments to DFW are included to compete accordingly.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KiwiJC
This seems to be a fairl classic case of competition; Auckland to Houston direct has no competition, but a one stop to DFW definitely does with Qantas.

I guess in this case AirNZ is willing to offer lower fares as long as the married segments to DFW are included to compete accordingly.
I wondered as much but doesn’t the one stop QF option go via AU with a longer overall travel time? I saw other options but again they had longer overall travel time as well from memory.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
There are many examples of similar pricing situations - a few examples from TG and SQ ex New Zealand where AKL-BKK (or SIN)-CNX was cheaper than to just AKL to BKK or SIN....

No doubt the beanies in the revenue department have this sorted.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
On google flights just now AA offering it for NZ$8368 (1 stop 16.55 hrs travel) and United for $ 9.951 also one stop 17.45 travel
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
TBH, I would usually pay more to cut an entire flight out of a journey. I don't mind longer layovers, but I find the process of changing planes to be stressful and really jarring. I do what I can to minimize connections. So if NZ wants to compete with Qantas for the flights to Dallas, then they better be cheaper, since I need to connect via LAX or Houston whereas with Qantas I can do it in just 1 stop in Aussie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.