Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

AKL-SYD-PER mixed class booking on Air NZ - QF codeshare

Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: qantas, ar new zealand, virgin australia

I was downgraded by Air New Zealand from Business to Economy on a two stage flight with the second leg a codeshare flight with Qantas. I had an Air New Zealand business class ticket bought on their website which carries no alert to the possibility of a downgrade. Air New Zealand have refused to offer compensation and were of no help in obtaining the contracted quality of travel from Qantas.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Why were you downgraded?

Air NZ's have a policy for downgrades whether it be a cancellation or oversold flights - there has to be something you aren't telling us because your story doesn't stack up nor match their policy.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:28 am
Original Poster

I have no idea why they downgraded me and they did not offer an alternative flight matching the advertised and purchased conditions. It looks like a case of breach of contract but I do not have the resources to sue them.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What was the QF route & aircraft type?
Were the flights on time or delayed?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I agree there must be more to this story. What are the exact details? Why cant you just write to them and ask for downgrade compensation?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:39 am
Original Poster

I had a half hour phone conversation with them on 12th November. No offer of compensation or alternative flight. I wrote to them on 12th November but have received no reply to this. The flight was in two legs with the second leg a codeshare Air New Zealand/Qantas operated by Qantas. It looks like Air New Zealand take no responsibility for what Qantas does even though the contract is directly with Air New Zealand.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scotty1314
I had a half hour phone conversation with them on 12th November. No offer of compensation or alternative flight. I wrote to them on 12th November but have received no reply to this. The flight was in two legs with the second leg a codeshare Air New Zealand/Qantas operated by Qantas. It looks like Air New Zealand take no responsibility for what Qantas does even though the contract is directly with Air New Zealand.
What was the QF route & aircraft type?
Were the flights on time or delayed?

Details do matter
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:50 am

You still haven't provided any details.

As I've mentioned Air NZ's downgrade policy is very clear and I don't think I've ever seen another FT thread ever (nor seen mention anywhere else) of Air NZ not abiding by that policy.

There has to be more to this story, yet you're not providing any more information. Should be pretty easy to tell us why Air NZ downgraded you because it was obviously a Trans Tasman flight - was it a change of aircraft?
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Sounds to me like OP hasn't flown yet but has now noticed the 2nd leg is in Economy.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:18 am

Last time I had an cancellation the person on the phone proactively tried to tweak booking classes on the different sectors to get the biggest refund.

PER AKL WLG became PER SYD WLG
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Sounds to me like OP hasn't flown yet but has now noticed the 2nd leg is in Economy.
I got the impression both legs were downgraded, but since they just seem happy to soapbox rather than provide any info it's hard to know.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
I'm placing bets on the QF flight being a regional operated by QantasLink or Jetstar which happens to be on a craft that doesn't even have a Business class.

Though on QF domestic, "Business" class is a bit of .a stretch. I personally coined the term "Perspex Class" for it, because it's really just a slightly bigger seat with a sheet of perspex separating you from the plebs.
nancypants and Beckett66 like this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kyanar
I'm placing bets on the QF flight being a regional operated by QantasLink or Jetstar which happens to be on a craft that doesn't even have a Business class..
Agree. That's why I asked for route & aircraft type.
Would not expect to be on JQ, as the Air NZ-QF arrangement is for QF codeshares (NZ flight numbers) on Au domestic routes. JQ is a separate airline (when is suits QF).
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Agree. That's why I asked for route & aircraft type.
Would not expect to be on JQ, as the Air NZ-QF arrangement is for QF codeshares (NZ flight numbers) on Au domestic routes. JQ is a separate airline (when is suits QF).
Good point. Something has to go very wrong for JQ metal to be operating a QF route. Still holding a regional route as most likely cause.

It's a bit precious complaining about getting an economy connection on AU domestic regional routes given how little difference there is between Y and J class on QF's CRJ and 717 fleet (if there even is multiple classes at all). Were they expecting a lie flat? Pretty sure that's only on east to west coastal routes.

I've gotten economy connections on in-alliance TPAC routes before with NZ, it's a common thing.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Flights: NZ 105 Auckland to Sydney, Aircraft 777-200, Business class confirmed;
QF 583/ NZ 7583, Sydney to Perth, Aircraft A330 200; Downgraded to economy class.
Ticket purchased Air New Zealand Business class, Auckland to Perth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.