Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Roll Over Points - Question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Elite Roll Over Points - Question

This year, I will take around 900 status credits worth of flights on Air NZ metal. Combined with the rest of my points acquired elsewhere, I will have 100 to "roll over." My question is this: as I only need 810 to attain Elite again this year, will my 90-100 status credits that roll over next year count towards that magical 810 number? Or will they just be general status credits?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:54 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
This year, I will take around 900 status credits worth of flights on Air NZ metal. Combined with the rest of my points acquired elsewhere, I will have 100 to "roll over." My question is this: as I only need 810 to attain Elite again this year, will my 90-100 status credits that roll over next year count towards that magical 810 number? Or will they just be general status credits?
The rollover points are rolled over identified as airnz and others .
Old Nov 17, 2018, 5:47 am
Original Poster

So does that mean that they will count towards my 810 required for 2019? So if I have 100 roll over points, I'll only have to get 710 from air nz metal in 2019

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Nov 17, 2018 at 6:24 am
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
You need 1350 points to retain Elite, not 810 as you suggest?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

OK so let me re-explain (it's surprisingly difficult to explain in a clear/concise way!).

To retain elite, you need 1350 status points.

However, of those 1350, there is a special requirement: 810 need come from flying Air NZ metal. The other 540 can come from credit cards/star alliance flights. They're what I refer to as "general" status points.

I currently have my account "stuck" at 950 status points, because I've only flown 410 with Air NZ. My status tracker says "400 needed - must come from Air NZ flights"

Well, in February, I'll be gaining 500 status credits from Air NZ flights right before my account rolls over. This means I'll have 1450 status credits in total, with 900 having come from Air NZ. That means I'll have 100 points to roll over. So here is the question: will those 100 credits points towards the Air NZ metal requirement of 810 (and bring it down to just 710 required next year) or will it count towards the 540 "general" pool?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
So does that mean that they will count towards my 810 required for 2019? So if I have 100 roll over points, I'll only have to get 710 from air nz metal in 2019
Nobody can answer that question because we don't know what category your rollover status points fall into. Are the whole 100 of your rollover status points NZ metal or are they a combination of NZ metal and CC/*A earn?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

So from the 1350, 540 can be credit card/star alliance credits. I have well exceeded that. I have no idea what the total even is tbh. My status tracker only shows me stuck at 950 points because I am missing the 400/810 required from Air NZ flights. Once you reach that 540 general point total, it stops showing on your elite tracker (although it shows each point total in your balance statement)

These flights will be with Air NZ and they will be 500 points worth. So I'll have 900 with Air NZ plus my 540 general. So the extra 100 will indeed be Air NZ metal credits. But will they count towards next year's total...
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
I asked the same Q 6 months ago to the elite team. I had 1800 'general points and though Id earn about 1000 ish Air NZ metal points before my anniversary date; and asked:

'If I roll over the full whack of 540 A*/CC points and 200 NZ earnt points, then I just need 610 NZ points to qualify? And any CC/*alliance points are reduntant.'

and received the reply:

'You are correct. Should you roll over 540 Status Points and earn a further 200 points, you still require 610 Status Points to retain Elite status. Please do not that at least 810 of these Status Points must be earned by Air New Zealand operated or qualifying Partner Airline flights.

540 Roll over
200 Air New Zealand
740 Total earned (1350 required)
610 Required to retain (must be Air New Zealand operated or qualifying Partner Airline flights)'

As it turned out I ended up flying more than expected and got a banked year and am just short of the 5k gift which is annoying so I never got to put that into practice but I book my flights in advance (9m out) so I quite like to plan to get a banked year then stop Air NZ and fly QF or use AMEX points.

Hope that helps.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! That answer is super helpful. Great to know that the extra general points will roll over too.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Yeah thank for this, was wondering about it last week!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Related question: do rollover status points expire at any point? I've got ~350 rollovers from last year and will be flying more than enough for the 1350 I need for renewing Elite. Do I lose SP if they don't get used for my renewal this year? If so, I should just start earning to UA once I earn 1000 SP, since those new SP plus the rollover would be enough to renew. If not, it doesn't really matter and I'll build up a larger reserve of rollover SP.
​​​​
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smanch
Related question: do rollover status points expire at any point? I've got ~350 rollovers from last year and will be flying more than enough for the 1350 I need for renewing Elite. Do I lose SP if they don't get used for my renewal this year? If so, I should just start earning to UA once I earn 1000 SP, since those new SP plus the rollover would be enough to renew. If not, it doesn't really matter and I'll build up a larger reserve of rollover SP.
​​​​
they are lost if not required for the following year
I alternate the years
IE one year that has the surplus SP is used for the following year that needs it
So the following year I use my airpoints (to substitute for cash travel ) for some of my travel as there is a lesser need for SP's .
I try pretty hard to avoid your situation as there is 350 SP wasted. (That is slightly more than a return trip to the USA on PE that could have been brought using airpoints)
This year for me is a "SP earn year" next year will be a " SP spend year" ...been using this system ever since I figured out how the roll over worked.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: NZ*GE, UA*G
Originally Posted by Beano
they are lost if not required for the following year
I alternate the years
IE one year that has the surplus SP is used for the following year that needs it
So the following year I use my airpoints (to substitute for cash travel ) for some of my travel as there is a lesser need for SP's .
I try pretty hard to avoid your situation as there is 350 SP wasted. (That is slightly more than a return trip to the USA on PE that could have been brought using airpoints)
This year for me is a "SP earn year" next year will be a " SP spend year" ...been using this system ever since I figured out how the roll over worked.
Oh OK, I didn't realize that. So I have 350 rollover from last year and let's say I earn 1250 new SP this year. I'll renew Elite because 1250+350 = 1600 and 1600 > 1350. But you're saying I won't end up with a 250 SP rollover for next year (1600 - 1350 required for renewal), and will just end up with 0 rollover?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by smanch
Oh OK, I didn't realize that. So I have 350 rollover from last year and let's say I earn 1250 new SP this year. I'll renew Elite because 1250+350 = 1600 and 1600 > 1350. But you're saying I won't end up with a 250 SP rollover for next year (1600 - 1350 required for renewal), and will just end up with 0 rollover?
Correct. Rollover points only carry forward for the following year and if they're not used then they're wiped. They don't then carry over to subsequent years.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: NZ*E
just have mine wiped back to 0 with my recent roll over....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.