Wiki Posts
Search

New *A reward chart and online booking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2018, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
New *A reward chart and online booking

Without prior notice, finally NZ has destroyed the last valuable redemption option and changed zone based *A redemption chart to distance based, which has seem all long haul premium cabin rates significantly increased. For instance, Asia to Europe one way in Business used to cost APD 1215 and now it's likely APD 1750 depending on distance. Most other long haul flights that used to cost around APD 1500 will cost APD 2000 now. First Class long haul flights used to be only a few hundred APD more than Business and now we are seeing this doubled.

Due to Star Alliance requirement that asks all member airlines to bring partner redemption function online by the end of the year, NZ has been forced to revamp the reward chart. One of the reasons why NZ were reluctant to bring it online is that they didn't want members to redeem APD on partners because the rates were just too good compared to NZ's any seat for sale, especially in premium cabins. They wanted you to believe the advantage in redeeming on NZ services because you can always get the flight you want and *A redemption tickets are extremely limited. But now it's online and everything is visible so they increased the rates. They are really living up to the reputation of having the worst FFP in the world.

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airl...r-reward-chart
poopbunny, yotty, Bub001 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
To hell with this, it was what I was accumulating APDs for.

Object lesson is, spend them, don't save them
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:48 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Online Booking results.

I used a range of locations. Most resulted in:

Sorry, fares for the selected route are not available for purchase on the website. Please change locations and search again or call us on 0800 737 000 to complete your booking.
I did get:

WLG-MEL in Business APD700 + $54.04 taxes
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
So they’ve removed any sweet spots they had on their chart. Not that you could ever book any partner awards with air Nz. That *A requirement that they have online redemption functionality obviously flushed them out. Luckily there are other options...

Tried their *online redemption* function. Got that message about no availability and to ring the call centre. Wonder if that even qualifies as being online redemption booking system. There is minimal detail there unlike other airline sites. They must have access to the same award availability as United so would be interesting to see if UA is showing availability then will Air Nz let you book it?

Last edited by Ellice; Nov 7, 2018 at 11:31 pm Reason: Add detail
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
On the plus side it's my understanding that VS upper class flights are booked as business rewards and not first now.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
But now it's online and everything is visible so they increased the rates.
No it isn't. They still say you have to call the contact centre, and incur the $120 contact centre fee per return booking.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kyanar
No it isn't. They still say you have to call the contact centre, and incur the $120 contact centre fee per return booking.
I don't think the contact centre has more reward availability than online so why the need to call?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
On the plus side it's my understanding that VS upper class flights are booked as business rewards and not first now.
I haven't been able to find a single available seat on VS/EY.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:05 am

Without prior notice, finally NZ has destroyed the last valuable redemption option and changed zone based *A redemption chart to distance based, which has seem all long haul premium cabin rates significantly increased. For instance, Asia to Europe one way in Business used to cost APD 1215 and now it's likely APD 1750 depending on distance. Most other long haul flights that used to cost around APD 1500 will cost APD 2000 now. First Class long haul flights used to be only a few hundred APD more than Business and now we are seeing this doubled.

Due to Star Alliance requirement that asks all member airlines to bring partner redemption function online by the end of the year, NZ has been forced to revamp the reward chart. One of the reasons why NZ were reluctant to bring it online is that they didn't want members to redeem APD on partners because the rates were just too good compared to NZ's any seat for sale, especially in premium cabins. They wanted you to believe the advantage in redeeming on NZ services because you can always get the flight you want and *A redemption tickets are extremely limited. But now it's online and everything is visible so they increased the rates. They are really living up to the reputation of having the worst FFP in the world.
What grinds my gears is its the lack of reciprocity by NZ when flying A* member airlines. You earn the same flying NZ tin on the SQ FFP but far less the other way around.

But what else is NZ to do? ...since you earn F* all APD flying anyway.

People could earn all the NZ APD they need on their CC spend, then fly a far superior airline, with far better food without having to put up wtih cringe worthy inflight safety videos.

Last edited by poopbunny; Nov 8, 2018 at 3:57 pm
Old Nov 8, 2018, 4:21 am

I don't think the contact centre has more reward availability than online so why the need to call?
No, online has zero availability. You need to call the contact centre for all bookings.

I haven't been able to find a single available seat on VS/EY.
That's because you cannot book award seats online. At all. You must call the contact centre, like it says on the website.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:56 am

I've got an Aussie Airpoints account and the new online booking link just ends up on a page saying "Partner Redemptions aren't available in your country".

A bit disappointing but as the rates are so poor anyway it doesn't really make a huge difference.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 11:57 am

Without prior notice, finally NZ has destroyed the last valuable redemption option and changed zone based *A redemption chart to distance based, which has seem all long haul premium cabin rates significantly increased. For instance, Asia to Europe one way in Business used to cost APD 1215 and now it's likely APD 1750 depending on distance. Most other long haul flights that used to cost around APD 1500 will cost APD 2000 now.
$2490 return from Jakarta to Frankfurt flying Oman Air's 787 Business Class product, and earn nearly enough Etihad Guest Miles for a one way award flight from WLG to MEL in Business on Virgin Australia.

I'm not sure paying 1750 APD + Taxes and surcharges is good value in comparison :
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
You can use the new online booking engine to book flights and no extra fees or surcharges apply other than taxes (ie you don't pay the $100 any longer).

I played with it yesterday and found plenty of availability on lots of random routes but nothing in anything but economy class.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
You can use the new online booking engine to book flights and no extra fees or surcharges apply other than taxes (ie you don't pay the $100 any longer).

I played with it yesterday and found plenty of availability on lots of random routes but nothing in anything but economy class.
Interesting. I saw an article on another website by a certain Steve Biddle that says otherwise

Still, localised Air New Zealand websites all say you must call the contact centre for all bookings. New Zealand's website says you can book simple point to point journeys (i.e. no multi-city, no layovers, no transfers). Probably why xiaotung found nothing when searching.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG
Bye bye Lufthansa/Asiana/ANA First Class. I will miss you a lot.

Hello short-haul economy class! Airpoints just became the Avios of the South Pacific - sector & distance based, and probably more values lie in cow (or Fonterra?) class.

Airpoints' search engine and the programme value Make America (translation: United Mileage Plus) Great Again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.