New *A reward chart and online booking

Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I didn't even think to use it for USA domestic travel bookings. Glad I re-read this thread!
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Anyone know why return fares EWR > LHR in UA Y have a fee of $134 each way in the partner booking engine, but one way fares only have a fee of $8? Am I doing something wrong here?

I've found loads of Y availability on UA and ANA ex-USA with the new booking engine; have yet to find a single J or F seat available.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sopwith7
Anyone know why return fares EWR > LHR in UA Y have a fee of $134 each way in the partner booking engine, but one way fares only have a fee of $8? Am I doing something wrong here?

I've found loads of Y availability on UA and ANA ex-USA with the new booking engine; have yet to find a single J or F seat available.
Probably because the UK charges hefty departure fees for any flight ex-LHR based on distance and class of travel.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Probably because the UK charges hefty departure fees for any flight ex-LHR based on distance and class of travel.
Gotcha, thanks.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: airponts
What an awfully buggy system. I just found a business class fare for 4 days time online which is bookable. I would prefer to travel in 3 days time so the website said call the call centre. I call them. They still think partner awards are 7 days notice and get this.....they cant see teh same availability for United which I can book on their flaky system.
What a joke. The staff not even trained on the new system.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by kindagot
The staff not even trained on the new system.
I thought the new system was online booking for new users? I assume that the call centre is still using the same system as before, as they need the full access and power to the booking engine.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
This is what I'm looking for: AKL x/BKK x/MUC DUB. My Aeroplan account shows me business class *A space on first 2 segments and economy MUC DUB. Their KM (why it's not miles is just stoopid, btw) are 9580, 8770 and 1380.

So would that be 10k km +10k km + 1-1999km--1750+1750+250 or 3750APDs because it's per segment? Or is it 1750 once for the entire journey?

None of these segments comes up in the NZ search engine. I smell a rat.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jawnbc
This is what I'm looking for: AKL x/BKK x/MUC DUB. My Aeroplan account shows me business class *A space on first 2 segments and economy MUC DUB. Their KM (why it's not miles is just stoopid, btw) are 9580, 8770 and 1380.

So would that be 10k km +10k km + 1-1999km--1750+1750+250 or 3750APDs because it's per segment? Or is it 1750 once for the entire journey?

None of these segments comes up in the NZ search engine. I smell a rat.
Well, it says pretty clearly "per one-way sector" - so APD 3750 - it'd be a bargain beyond belief if NZ were 'selling' AKL-DUB for APD 1750 !

I expect you'd need to call. I did some looking around and found some partner availability showed, others didn't.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc
Their KM (why it's not miles is just stoopid, btw) are 9580, 8770 and 1380.
It is in km as that is most common distance measurement*. AirNZ is a NZ company so there is a legal requirement to use metric.

*This is aviation so may be Nautical Miles would be a more appropriate measure, but then you will get a bunch of confusion between statue and nautical.
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzkarit
It is in km as that is most common distance measurement*. AirNZ is a NZ company so there is a legal requirement to use metric.

*This is aviation so may be Nautical Miles would be a more appropriate measure, but then you will get a bunch of confusion between statue and nautical.
I am highly sceptical of this statement - do you have any evidence to support this?!
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
I am highly sceptical of this statement - do you have any evidence to support this?!
Weights and Measures Act 1987 No 15 (as at 01 March 2017), Public Act 10 Obligation to use metric system in advertising goods for sale ? New Zealand Legislation
Obligation to use metric system in advertising goods for sale
Subject to section 11, every person commits an offence who, in the course of, or for the purposes of, any trade or business, uses, whether on any package or price ticket, or in any price list or advertisement or otherwise howsoever, any unit of a weight or measure other than a weight or measure of the metric system in advertising, displaying, or exposing goods for sale.

Weights and Measures Act 1987 No 15 (as at 01 March 2017), Public Act 8 Obligations to use metric system of weights and measures ? New Zealand Legislation
Obligations to use metric system of weights and measures
Subject to section 9, every person commits an offence who—
(a) in relation to any matter, work, goods, or other thing, makes or enters into any contract, or engages in any dealing or transaction, by reference to any weight or measure other than a weight or measure of the metric system; or
(b) uses for trade any weight or measure other than a weight or measure of the metric system; or
(c) uses for trade any weighing or measuring instrument other than a weighing or measuring instrument which weighs or measures only by reference to weights or measures of the metric system.
trooper and kyanar like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Probably the wrong thread but I'll ask anyway. As a newly-minted Gold Elite, how do the upgrade certificates work? Do I have to book a certain level of Economy Class before I'll get upgraded to Business? On a three-class plane it's still Y to J and not Y to PE?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the (speedy) response - fascinating. I suppose a lawyer would be needed to determine applicability for whatever situation is being considered.

At the risk of heading down a rabbit-hole, I wonder if NZ could legitimately invoke the exception allowed for in Section 9 and use statute miles or geographic areas rather than kilometres....
This would assume passengers are 'goods being exported'

Section 9 -Exceptions to obligations to use metric system of weights and measures

Nothing in section 8 applies to—

(a)
any contract, dealing, or transaction in connection with the export of goods to, or the importation of goods from, a country where a system of weights and measures other than the metric system is used; or

(b)
the weighing or measuring of goods or the doing of any other act for the purposes of any contract, dealing, or transaction in connection with the export of goods to, or the importation of goods from, a country where a system of weights and measures other than the metric system is used.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Probably the wrong thread but I'll ask anyway. As a newly-minted Gold Elite, how do the upgrade certificates work? Do I have to book a certain level of Economy Class before I'll get upgraded to Business? On a three-class plane it's still Y to J and not Y to PE?
Hmm yeah it is the wrong thread
No, it is not like VA. You can book a seat only fare and still apply the upgrade.
Short haul you can upgrade Y to J, or if you like Y to PE.
Long haul you can upgrade one class per RU ie you can upgrade from Y to J if you use both your long haul RUs together.

Congrats
trooper likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
That makes sense. I'm a metric chauvinist in most things...but my gut reaction was this is example #2332 in Airpoints exceptionalism.

Originally Posted by nzkarit

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.