New *A reward chart and online booking

Old Nov 8, 18, 4:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
Interesting. I saw an article on another website by a certain Steve Biddle that says otherwise

Still, localised Air New Zealand websites all say you must call the contact centre for all bookings. New Zealand's website says you can book simple point to point journeys (i.e. no multi-city, no layovers, no transfers). Probably why xiaotung found nothing when searching.
$100 fee still applies for booking via the call centre is my understanding.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
You can use the new online booking engine to book flights and no extra fees or surcharges apply other than taxes (ie you don't pay the $100 any longer).

I played with it yesterday and found plenty of availability on lots of random routes but nothing in anything but economy class.
What I find amazing is nearly all routes ex AU/NZ have been blocked despite these having availability on United.com. I can manage to find seats in Business between Asia-North America and Asia-Europe. This is consistent with my experience with the contact centre in the past decade or so. The signal is pretty clear. They don't want you to fly partner airlines.
Bub001 and kiwifrequentflyer like this.
Old Nov 8, 18, 5:39 pm

Programs: Qantas, Air New Zealand GE, SPG
Could someone clarify to me, is Air NZ offering a calendar that shows award availability over a month, by cabin class? Like QF, BA and UA offer?

How does this work, are you supposed to go day by day, sector by sector, on this new *online award redemption* functionality Air NZ is offering? Just want to check I'm not doing something wrong here. Don't want to waste my time on a fruitless search that isn't going actually show me where the availability is. I do have the flexibility of dates.

Or does it just keep coming up with that message to 'ring the Air NZ call centre'. ie nothing has changed from last month...
Old Nov 8, 18, 6:49 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
It shows just one day at a time, but it shows 3 classes.
So yeah, one sector, one day at a time. Not very user friendly for searching.
Old Nov 8, 18, 7:01 pm

Thanks, so no use at all if you value your time.
Old Nov 8, 18, 7:04 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Not exactly a useful tool. Provides the user with little help in finding redemptions, which sends a pretty clear message in my view that Air NZ don't want you spending APD on partner airlines.

I doubt this tool is of high priority to Air NZ going forward. Appears as though the absolute bare minimum has been done in order to meet the Star Alliance online redemption requirement. Box ticked.
Old Nov 8, 18, 7:05 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Loads of domestic USA availability in UA economy via the new booking engine, if that's worth anything. Seems reasonably priced for sectors of less than 2000km and for last minute domestic bookings of greater distance.
Old Nov 8, 18, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ellice View Post
Thanks, so no use at all if you value your time.
Yes, only savvy travellers who know to search on other FFP websites such as United.com know how to save time, before searching on NZ.

The majority of the public will still think it's easier to redeem on NZ services and continue to sing the praises of Airpoints' any seat redemption without knowing it's actually NZ who intentionally makes redeeming on partners as difficult as possible.
Old Nov 8, 18, 8:40 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
$100 fee still applies for booking via the call centre is my understanding.
If you think it's $100, then it sounds like it went up - it's now $60 per one way journey on both .co.nz and .com.au sites for contact centre assisted bookings.

Originally Posted by Xiaotung View Post
What I find amazing is nearly all routes ex AU/NZ have been blocked despite these having availability on United.com. I can manage to find seats in Business between Asia-North America and Asia-Europe. This is consistent with my experience with the contact centre in the past decade or so. The signal is pretty clear. They don't want you to fly partner airlines.
I see your home location is SYD - are you trying to book on airnewzealand.com.au or airnewzealand.co.nz? If .com.au, you won't find any availability because you must call the contact centre.

Also bear in mind that UA hold back some award availability (XN booking class) for higher tier elites and Chase cardholders.
Old Nov 8, 18, 8:53 pm

Yes, only savvy travellers who know to search on other FFP websites such as United.com know how to save time, before searching on NZ.

The majority of the public will still think it's easier to redeem on NZ services and continue to sing the praises of Airpoints' any seat redemption without knowing it's actually NZ who intentionally makes redeeming on partners as difficult as possible.
Would be an interesting exercise to see if partner award availability you find on UA is actually available on the NZ online award redemption booking system. Somehow I doubt it...
Old Nov 8, 18, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
If you think it's $100, then it sounds like it went up - it's now $60 per one way journey on both .co.nz and .com.au sites for contact centre assisted bookings.

I see your home location is SYD - are you trying to book on airnewzealand.com.au or airnewzealand.co.nz? If .com.au, you won't find any availability because you must call the contact centre.

Also bear in mind that UA hold back some award availability (XN booking class) for higher tier elites and Chase cardholders.
I was searching on .co.nz. UA's XN booking class is irrelevant just as partner airlines don't have access to NZ's R class. In terms of *A, only X, I, O classes are for partner FFP redemption. UA website lists booking classes very clearly.
Old Nov 8, 18, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ellice View Post
Would be an interesting exercise to see if partner award availability you find on UA is actually available on the NZ online award redemption booking system. Somehow I doubt it...
No, as I said earlier, NZ block some of the routes or flights, such as the majority of routes ex AU/NZ. So you won't find them on NZ even if they are available on UA.

But if UA doesn't have it, don't waster your time searching on NZ as you can guarantee NZ won't have it either.
Old Nov 8, 18, 9:18 pm

No, as I said earlier, NZ block some of the routes or flights, such as the majority of routes ex AU/NZ. So you won't find them on NZ even if they are available on UA.

But if UA doesn't have it, don't waster your time searching on NZ as you can guarantee NZ won't have it either.
Fairly opaque process on NZ's part isn't it. Wonder what percentage of awards available on UA are available on NZ. No way to tell with the minimal info they are showing via the online booking system. Maybe there needs to be a thread like the one up bids where you post if you were actually able to book an NZ partner award.
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:46 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Expedia Gold+
Finally into my last banked year and happy that have moved to A3 as my programme. I can log in to my A3 account go online to their *A booking tool put in TT preferred date and get visibility over a month which usually means any day of the month in question and any time of the day invariably on AIRNZ metal. Very simple, straight forward and transparent. Have booked TT and NZ/UK *A redemption tickets no problems. Basically 4 clicks, done and no booking fees..

Therefore cannot see why it cannot be so for the AIRNZ *A booking system. Really for them to charge a booking fee for something that should be available on line is a bit on the nose. The benefit of a captured market that no one knows any better I guess.
Old Nov 18, 18, 3:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite / *A Gold
As with any change, there are positives and negatives. Agree with what's been said about First Class, ultra long-haul being more expensive based on distance etc., however, many routes are now also cheaper, especially U.S./Europe shorthaul and East Coast < > Europe. I travel these routes frequently and spending $250 (Y) or $450 (J) + $100 booking fee on a regional 30-45min flight anywhere just didn't make sense. $125 w/o fee is a lot more reflective of the actual value and market situation, and more in line with what other programs offer. Same for mid- and shorter long-haul, like New York > London. It was often cheaper to pay for a J fare than to use Airpoints, even on short notice. These connections are now much more competitively priced.

Aside from that, I noticed the online booking page is no longer available as of this morning, at least not at the same URL and I can't find it elsewhere.

Search this Thread