Search

New safety video Nov 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:19 am
Original Poster

New safety video Nov 2018

So it has been released.

Worst yet.

This video is meant to impart important safety messages including those with English as a second language. Given that they are using a rap sentence structure, I'm a struggling to understand what they are actually saying.

Also the oxygen masks do not have oxygen flowing through them like magic. It's a simple chemical reaction in an oxygen generator no magic involved. Airlines don't work on magic they work on science & strict adherence to Standard Operating Procedures.

Last edited by nzkarit; Nov 5, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: NZ Koru
*facepalm* I now regret booking some up coming 'paid' business class flights with NZ, that video is low class trash that you would expect on an LCC not being played in J...... (at the prices NZ charges for J)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
*facepalm* I now regret booking some up coming 'paid' business class flights with NZ, that video is low class trash that you would expect on an LCC not being played in J...... (at the prices NZ charges for J)
... Really... I mean... I'm not normally one to call someone out for this sort of thing, but it's just a safety video, it might be lame but it's like 2 minutes of the flight.

After some of my recent experiences in J with Qantas who have a more "professional" video, I would 100% fly with Air NZ any time I get the chance, with the safety video not once ever entering my decision making.
jinglish, kyanar and Erasmus III like this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: NZ GE, Marriot Platinum
Maybe NZ should consider running different safety videos per cabin. People might be more inclined to pay for J if it means they avoid the cringe-worthy cheesefest video for one that is quick, basic, covers the key points and doesn't make you want to punch the screen in front of you.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by MrLovebucket
Maybe NZ should consider running different safety videos per cabin. People might be more inclined to pay for J if it means they avoid the cringe-worthy cheesefest video for one that is quick, basic, covers the key points and doesn't make you want to punch the screen in front of you.
What? Really? So... people would spend thousands of dollars out of spite for a video? You can just put your headphones on and ignore it if you want to, even though you're technically not supposed to do that. You made an account on flyertalk because the safety video upsets you this much?

The ONLY reason I'd suggest different safety videos is because people in J are often frequent flyers. And it doesn't matter if it's a well put together novelty video or not. A novelty video starts to grate on you after the 5th time of watching it.

It's not us long-haul flyers I feel sorry for, it's the people who fly domestically every day.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I guess I'll only be able to fly on the 1st of the month for the next few months.

It's truly terrible.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: NZ GE, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
What? Really? So... people would spend thousands of dollars out of spite for a video? You can just put your headphones on and ignore it if you want to, even though you're technically not supposed to do that. You made an account on flyertalk because the safety video upsets you this much?

The ONLY reason I'd suggest different safety videos is because people in J are often frequent flyers. And it doesn't matter if it's a well put together novelty video or not. A novelty video starts to grate on you after the 5th time of watching it.

It's not us long-haul flyers I feel sorry for, it's the people who fly domestically every day.
I'm suggesting that the novelty video is used in Y, with J and PE getting a basic "to the point" version that doesn't grate after the 2nd time of watching it. I didn't make an account because of the safety video.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know what the rules are for safety demonstrations? As if there is any language requirement in them, this must fail, as yes it uses English words I wouldn't consider a lot of the sentence structure to be common spoken English. Does someone with English not as a first language and have chance at understanding this? If not how is this a safety video? Also found the visual demonstrations in the video lacking as well, compared to other videos.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Have to admit...worst one ever.
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Hmm, I understand, it’s tricky to rock a rhyme that’s right on time. You should def cancel.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:46 pm

... Really... I mean... I'm not normally one to call someone out for this sort of thing, but it's just a safety video, it might be lame but it's like 2 minutes of the flight.
4 minutes, 37 seconds

nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
I am all for quirky but this is truely horrible.
what are they thinking?

nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I’m a Kiwi and even I struggle to make out what they are saying...it feels like they are minimilising the safety aspect of the demonstration as the instructions are not clear at all.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Personally I'd more support a choice on the IFE to use the novelty video or a basic "important bits" option.

Do most regional planes have screens? I'll be honest despite being born in NZ I've never flown domestically, but I have done so in Australia and the US where not all planes (even between capitals) have in flight entertainment so the safety demo is a crew member showing the important bits.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:15 pm

Cue the return of “The Summer of Safety”....again.
royng likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.