New safety video Nov 2018

Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by brenrox
Well if your reading material was the safety information card, I'm not sure they could do much?
According to a chat I had with the IFM on a domestic flight today, the key think is to take out your headphones. They have apparently been told by their higher ups to pay extra attention to this.

I dont think they care too much if you watch it or not....

The problem with that of course is the audio is more painful than the video part...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
Summer of Safety is back?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
Originally Posted by Nathan Catton
Summer of Safety is back?
Let's hope.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kyanar
Let's hope.
Well it's better than the alternative.

Though wish Mainline could look at AirNelson and MtCook for how to do safety demo, as they have it down pat.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
My account mngr called me today to say 1 Feb, Summer of Safety is back.
ps107 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:36 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Markhm
My account mngr called me today to say 1 Feb, Summer of Safety is back.
I got told the same on a flight today.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:14 am

Not much for it love here either.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertain...ectid=12198619

"There's no doubt this safety video is a complete and utter dud. I've heard stories of Air New Zealand hosts apologising for it during flights. I'm utterly over it, and I'm yet to meet anyone with anything good to say about it. The chorus of hate is overwhelming." "Air New Zealand, it's time to switch the record: your video needs to disappear immediately, before it does lasting damage."
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Haha, I am flying out today and I have yet to experience it onboard, so I am happy I got to see everyone's reactions to it just before it gets kicked off the planes!
Old Jan 30, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by poopbunny
Too much of the cultural cringe in the article - emphasizing how artists from other countries have (apparently) reacted to the video. But the risk to the NZ performers' careers was well articulated.

And it is beyond irritating in a way that even the Richard Simmons video wasn't.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
It's taken them long enough but it's gone!!!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertain...ectid=12199374
libertyuk likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by catandmouse
On the couple of NZ flights I took since viewing this thing once, I deliberately pulled up reading material to cover the screen, wanting to see if it provoked any reaction from the flight attendants. To their credit, it didn't and at least some of them looked very embarrassed by it all. My intention if there had been an intervention, would have been to say that I couldn't understand the video and see what reaction it might provoke. Has anyone tried this yet?
Ehhh. I watched it for the first time on a plane today. It has very clear subtitles that aren't the song - it's subtitles of the actual safety information. If someone was blind the flight attendants would have already come over to them and made sure they were set. The whole not understanding thing isn't true, its perfectly clear... It was also just incredibly awful.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by nzlilibet

Wait, I don't understand - I thought Air NZ had received 'sensational feedback' when the video launched??
KeepDiscovering likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by nzlilibet
Nice spin though.
"Air New Zealand says its decision is based on a new campaign to stimulate domestic travel and promote tourism to Northland. "

Spending millions on a safety video to annoy passengers probably didn't help the bottom line.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12198445
They have already cut the prawns and food is worse than before, wonder what else would they cut without someone taking notice.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
Originally Posted by JayKiwi
Wait, I don't understand - I thought Air NZ had received 'sensational feedback' when the video launched??
Sensationally awful, no doubt. An embarrassment to the company and the country.

A safety video should be brief and professional. If a frequent flyer can recite the dialogue from memory, it's done its job, right?

justakiwi
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Now Stuff have written an opinion piece trashing it. What's interesting is that all the media keep referring ti it as having been "dumped" - and while we'll never really know my personal view is that it hasn't been dumped, it's simply come to the end of it's initial 3 month cycle for a domestic safety video which is in line with the run times of others before they're swapped out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.