Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New safety video Nov 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I know that you didn't report it out of spite, that was my point - if you reported it for actual safety violations, which I believe you did, then that was always going to be a loss cause, since Air NZ would in no way be in violation of any, since they will have to get approval by relevant authorities before releasing a new safety video.

​​​
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Eltham

Nonsense because they didn’t agree with your rant, or because you couldn’t understand their reply?
Hi happy Eltham, actually first of it wasn't my email, it was Top of Climb's which i copied and attributed in this thread, and it was by no means a rant, i thought it was very well written (for a rant see my other post today about the macpac "promo")

To your question, what i feel is nonsense is this sentence, my underline
"It is the operators responsibility to ensure they meet the rule. At this time we assess the video as meeting the desired safety objective. This takes into account the combination of safety video verbal, visual and written messages, as well as the passenger safety briefing card."

What they are basically saying is that the safety video itself is not the main influence. From all the various commentary here and elsewhere, the consensus seems pretty clear that this video does not portray the safety information effectively. So if they rely on other forms of communication for safety messaging, why have the video at all?

in my view they are copping out of their responsibility to monitor the messaging of the video by covering their a***s by referring to "verbal, visual and written messages, as well as the passenger safety briefing card."

Anyway, just my opinion and no doubt you will disagree, as per usual

have a great weekend!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I know that you didn't report it out of spite, that was my point - if you reported it for actual safety violations, which I believe you did, then that was always going to be a loss cause, since Air NZ would in no way be in violation of any, since they will have to get approval by relevant authorities before releasing a new safety video.

​​​
I admit I did not read the relevant law before emailing them, i used what I felt was common sense (maybe never wise when communicating with bureaucrats!), but i suppose if they receive enough emails, combined with the media, and politicians, someone more senior might decide to review it. I mean really, if this video passes muster, and this is my opnion only, then this is one of those exaple that proves the maxim that the "law is an ..."

[note i am referring to this context "

What's the meaning of the phrase 'The law is an ...'?

Said of the application of the law that is contrary to common sense.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/...is-an-....html
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Hi happy Eltham, actually first of it wasn't my email, it was Top of Climb's which i copied and attributed in this thread, and it was by no means a rant, i thought it was very well written (for a rant see my other post today about the macpac "promo")

To your question, what i feel is nonsense is this sentence, my underline
"It is the operators responsibility to ensure they meet the rule. At this time we assess the video as meeting the desired safety objective. This takes into account the combination of safety video verbal, visual and written messages, as well as the passenger safety briefing card."

What they are basically saying is that the safety video itself is not the main influence. From all the various commentary here and elsewhere, the consensus seems pretty clear that this video does not portray the safety information effectively. So if they rely on other forms of communication for safety messaging, why have the video at all?

in my view they are copping out of their responsibility to monitor the messaging of the video by covering their a***s by referring to "verbal, visual and written messages, as well as the passenger safety briefing card."

Anyway, just my opinion and no doubt you will disagree, as per usual

have a great weekend!
Their approach seems logical and sensible to me, as the video is just one element of the range of safety communication material provided. The question about whether the video is needed is one for the airline.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Eltham
Their approach seems logical and sensible to me, as the video is just one element of the range of safety communication material provided. The question about whether the video is needed is one for the airline.
Apparently for NZ it is, if they are willing to delay departure until the safety video is complete. I can only imagine the blood if the takeoff is delayed for this abonimation.
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Though not helpful at Wellington, where with the Antarctic one, once had a fast push back and taxi (guessing no other movements at the time) and we had to wait for the video to finish and the cabin crew secure the cabin before entering the runway.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:27 am

Wonder if the Herald was available on 20 Dec on NZ flights
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I did a quick WLG-AKL return yesterday so I could fly on the A321neo ex WLG.

On the A320 back about 10-15 secs into the video they realised one of the screens hadn't dropped down so stopped the video and announced they would do a manual demonstration. This was met my a round of applause from most of the plane!
Thai-Kiwi, brenrox, narvik and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I intentionally didn't watch the video, until I was forced to the other day (i.e., onboard a plane) and it was worse than I expected. It was cringe and just seemed to go on and on. I read somewhere that they spent $2.5 million which is truly remarkable that despite such a budget, they could come up with something so rubbish. I feel sorry for the staff and frequent travellers whom have to endure it on a regular basis.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
The last two weeks I’ve had the “pleasure” of having to watch it four times - usually I’m fine with connecting flights but having to sit through this really really long and melodically jarring (there are points in it that make me wince because they draw out or compress syllables in order to fit the tempo which sounds wrong, and others where they break rhyming because it will hurt the message if they don’t) makes me almost consider flying United instead. Almost.

At least on my flights they haven’t held takeoff - the video is just finishing as we’re going 300km/hr down the runway.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: QF Plat, NZ Silver, EY, EK, SQ & UA
Flew from NRT to AKL a few weeks ago and the video kept glitching so they did a manual demonstration. There was a faint round of applause coming from the front! It’s truly awful. Air NZ got this one so wrong.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
On the couple of NZ flights I took since viewing this thing once, I deliberately pulled up reading material to cover the screen, wanting to see if it provoked any reaction from the flight attendants. To their credit, it didn't and at least some of them looked very embarrassed by it all. My intention if there had been an intervention, would have been to say that I couldn't understand the video and see what reaction it might provoke. Has anyone tried this yet?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by catandmouse
On the couple of NZ flights I took since viewing this thing once, I deliberately pulled up reading material to cover the screen, wanting to see if it provoked any reaction from the flight attendants. To their credit, it didn't and at least some of them looked very embarrassed by it all. My intention if there had been an intervention, would have been to say that I couldn't understand the video and see what reaction it might provoke. Has anyone tried this yet?
Well if your reading material was the safety information card, I'm not sure they could do much?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
All mine have rather pointedly looked at the walls when the safety video is running. Despite being incredibly personable during boarding.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Originally Posted by brenrox
Well if your reading material was the safety information card, I'm not sure they could do much?
It was blatantly nothing to do with flying, a normal newspaper, more than large enough to obscure the screen!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Why not ask your parents to try it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.