Wiki Posts
Search

New safety video Nov 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:15 pm

Some FB comments

ps107 and kiwifrequentflyer like this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Absolute crap.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Those Facebook comments literally made me LOL. Sadly (not sadly?) my upcoming air nz flights are on a ATR so I don't get to witness the reactions in the cabin to the video.

I love the YouTube comment that said think about the flight attendants. Here I gave my condolences to domestic FFs when really, the true victims are the attendants. Its like working retail and having to listen to carols over and over again during Christmas.

It's times like these that I love to think about how many people had to green light it. There were so many stops along the way. So many opportunities to say no, let's change this, let's do something different - it had so much development and so many people vetting it yet we still ended up with this.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:08 pm

Air NZ is not going to change its safety video marketing strategy because for every person who makes a negative comment online there are ten in far flung corners of the world who have watched it and walked away with a positive or above-neutral reaction thinking "hmm, that was kind of different", and for which the brand "Air New Zealand" will stick in their consciousness.

If you really want to make a change, write to the CAA saying that you didn't understand the safety message because it was lost in the noise of everything around/rapped in a way you could not comprehend. That will at least force the bureaucracy to consider whether they should be approving the next non-safety safety video that comes along. If there's a safety incident and people say they don't remember the safety information they were given (which happens even with normal safety demos, read the ATSB report following the QF 747 runway excursion in BKK from about 15 years ago), then it'll be the CAA's neck on the chopping block.

Last edited by Top of climb; Nov 13, 2018 at 3:40 pm
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Here is the QANTAS report from 1999: https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24447/...904538_001.pdf

The passenger survey (P160) on their perceptions/recollections on evacuation is an interesting read.
Top of climb and Trumpkin like this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 13, 2018 at 3:22 pm
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Here is the QANTAS report from 1999: https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24447/...904538_001.pdf

The passenger survey (P160) on their perceptions/recollections on evacuation is an interesting read.
That was fascinating but I struggle to believe that these days you would have so many people read the safety card (50%+ had done so who responded to the survey).

I think since 1999, a lot more people fly regularly as it's cheaper and more efficient and so most people - even if they've rarely flown before - know the safety features of a plane already. I cannot remember witnessing anyone in recent memory of any of my plane trips (and there have been a LOT) around me actually pull out the safety card and read it.

Super fascinating. I know in that situation I would be panicking something fierce, worrying also about the possibility of a fire.

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Nov 13, 2018 at 5:31 pm
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'd love some passenger testing to occur to really see how people take onboard the safety messages and what recollection they have.

How many people truly know the brace position and could show it immediately if asked?

How many people know Air NZ changed their recommended brace position on safety cards and videos about a year ago?

How many people sitting near an over wing exit realty know how the hatch opens? How many could open it immediately if asked?

One of the most common issues with masks dropping is the large number of people who say they had no oxygen because the bag didn't inflate - despite the fact this doesn't happen and safety videos clearly explaining this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Saw this for the first time today. Actually twice. Cringeworthy and embarrassing. Surely a pisstake.

Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by poopbunny
I was expecting the same.

Best interpreted exponentially, based on how close the other scores are.

Found a youtube comment from an ex FA.
"And all those pax complaining about having to listen to it you get no sympathy from me. Think of the crew who have to listen to it up to 6 times each day!! "

My favorite was the Surfing (now removed / Young Folks music was the star) and Bear Grylls. I never got tired of those.
I was sort of surprised Coolest (Antartica) scored better than Bear Grylls, I bet Keane's 'Somewhere Only We Know' helped too.
Those had calm soothing music.
The latest rap has the oppostite effect on me, I find it irritating and agitating.

Also annoyed NZ had ditched the old calming turquoise theme coloured cabin interiors for an "All black" theme.
I've liked all of the others, even the rapping in the Men in black video.
Although I agree with kiwifrequentflyers comment the video is not going to alter my choice of carrier - I did have fleeting thoughts of avoiding NZ until the video is pulled.
I've decided to boycott the video, put music on (I'm discrete - AirPods and hair covering that), and just read the safety card. Takes me a while to unwind from being angry the video is even playing. I didn't think to turn the screen off earlier but I'll aim for that where possible. Fingers crossed it gets pulled early.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Compare the hideous NZ vid to the extremely classy new Singapore Airlines safety video. Seems to meet many of the objectives of the NZ one (showing Singapore culture and destinations substituting a real live environment for a plane), but its beautiful.

And I would happily watch this regularly. its actually longer than the NZ one but sooo much more watchable

Fliar likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:56 pm

I watched that on my recent flight and really enjoyed it. However that video has zero chance to go viral, so...
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I watched that on my recent flight and really enjoyed it. However that video has zero chance to go viral, so...
Nearly 1.2 million views on youtube and 961 comments, so while less views than Air NZ more comments!

(noted on the blurb with the Air NZ video they had 600 people involved... How much did that cost?)
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: NZ*E
I must say I am usually pretty open on things like this but I have to say I share the same dislike towards this safety video.
Over the years, there are great ones, cool ones, memorable ones and seldom bad ones like this..... the audio is so bad that I rather not watch.
I realise it is a 5 min thing and it is not so much a big deal, but it is a problem coming down to this.
I prefer a normal video - If there is a petition to ask NZ to reconsider to pull it, it will have my unreserved approval.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Nearly 1.2 million views on youtube and 961 comments, so while less views than Air NZ more comments!

(noted on the blurb with the Air NZ video they had 600 people involved... How much did that cost?)
600 would be paid a lunch and possibly vouchers... I don't think it would cost that much - there would be a truckload of people who wants to volunteer to be in it I am sure
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:26 pm

OMG just sat down in my seat and my noise canceling headphones are out of juice! I was counting on then to insulate me from the hideousness!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.