New safety video Nov 2018

Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar
Personally I'd more support a choice on the IFE to use the novelty video or a basic "important bits" option.

Do most regional planes have screens? I'll be honest despite being born in NZ I've never flown domestically, but I have done so in Australia and the US where not all planes (even between capitals) have in flight entertainment so the safety demo is a crew member showing the important bits.
Regional planes dont...mainline does so AKL-WLG etc.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kyanar
Personally I'd more support a choice on the IFE to use the novelty video or a basic "important bits" option.

Do most regional planes have screens? I'll be honest despite being born in NZ I've never flown domestically, but I have done so in Australia and the US where not all planes (even between capitals) have in flight entertainment so the safety demo is a crew member showing the important bits.
A320 and up have screens. The ATR72s and Q300, the FA does it. On the turboprops really pleasant, particularly the Q300, its seat belt, exit, life vest, done in 30sec.

Sure release the safety video on Youtube but can we just have the 30sec version when actually on the plane.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tag1987
Cue the return of The Summer of Safety....again.
That Northland one is more worthy of being called Kiwi As compared to this one.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
That Northland one is more worthy of being called Kiwi As compared to this one.
Totally agree...but remember last year they released that awful Katie Holmes and Cuba Gooding Jr one and they pulled it after about 6 weeks and replaced it with Summer of Safety (which was the 2016(?) video) because of the bad feedback. You would have thought they learnt their lesson...but no.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
New Zealand English is my first language and I struggle to understand what they are saying. No idea how a non-English first language person could hope to understand it.
It fails to convey a safety message clearly.
So in my opinion is a failure.

And gangster rap may be 'kiwi as' in parts of Auckland. But is no way kiwi in the majority of New Zealand.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I had no problems understanding what they were saying, it's just that it's a cringeworthy video. Like clearly some middle-aged executives thinking "oh what can we do to appeal to those kids that use social media so they can send us viral advertising again... let's make a rap video! And if we put kiwi lingo in it, then that will make people laugh and smile! Right? Right???" But even though it's an *4 minutes instead of 2 minutes* this won't factor into my decision to fly Air NZ at all.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I had no problems understanding what they were saying, it's just that it's a cringeworthy video. Like clearly some middle-aged executives thinking "oh what can we do to appeal to those kids that use social media so they can send us viral advertising again... let's make a rap video! And if we put kiwi lingo in it, then that will make people laugh and smile! Right? Right???" But even though it's an *4 minutes instead of 2 minutes* this won't factor into my decision to fly Air NZ at all.
Middle Aged Executives = Christopher Luxon. LOL. It could even be a Unileaver ad for something...Lynx maybe.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Also the oxygen masks do not have oxygen flowing through them like magic. It's a simple chemical reaction in an oxygen generator no magic involved.
There are a lot of things not to like about this video, but... seriously?
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
There are a lot of things not to like about this video, but... seriously?
The Safety Video is there to impart a safety message and give nervous fliers confidence. If a safety video can't get across a safety message what is the point in the safety video? This is just one example of how its failing to get the safety message across. Have mentioned that it is not in English and someone else has the screen cap showing the brace position is like twerking.

Saying the Oxygen masks work like magic is not confidence inspiring. Magic is slight of hand and deception. That is not how I want an Oxygen generator working. (If it was magic they would put in some type of happy gas, so people didn't care about the lack oxygen). What was wrong with the automatically used in the previous videos.

Of all the elements in the safety video the Oxygen Mask due to a depressurisation event is the most likely event which a pax is going encounter compared to needing the slides, bracing or life jackets.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
The Safety Video is there to impart a safety message and give nervous fliers confidence. If a safety video can't get across a safety message what is the point in the safety video? This is just one example of how its failing to get the safety message across. Have mentioned that it is not in English and someone else has the screen cap showing the brace position is like twerking.

Saying the Oxygen masks work like magic is not confidence inspiring. Magic is slight of hand and deception. That is not how I want an Oxygen generator working. (If it was magic they would put in some type of happy gas, so people didn't care about the lack oxygen). What was wrong with the automatically used in the previous videos.

Of all the elements in the safety video the Oxygen Mask due to a depressurisation event is the most likely event which a pax is going encounter compared to needing the slides, bracing or life jackets.
Ok, you've taken it way out of context. I'm not sure anyone is going to worry if the safety video says the oxygen works like magic.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:37 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand
Good golly that's not going to get annoying 10 times a month :/
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:21 pm

Does someone with English not as a first language and have chance at understanding this? If not how is this a safety video? Also found the visual demonstrations in the video lacking as well, compared to other videos.
Isn't that why they have these:

(Note: This is just a generic version I found online. This is NOT supposed to be what Air New Zealand currently uses.)
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Someone here mentioned that the safety video is there to also inspire confidence in nervous flyers. As an ex nervous flyer myself (and prone to relapses) I will say that fun/novelty videos do genuinely help with that when I am flying with someone new. I don't think that is why the choice is made to create them though...
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:05 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Wow, just wow. Surely this is a joke and they're going to release the real one? I can't believe this is released just as I have six months of heavy domestic in and outs incoming.... best be a lottery win on the karma compensation cards!
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:24 pm

I lasted 1 minute 16 seconds. Is this a record?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.