Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New safety video Nov 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by KermitDK
I recently flew 3 J-legs with NZ. The first one NAN-AKL the video were texted in English. On the other 2 flights AKL-PPT return, it was in French outbound AKL and no text inbound AKL.
So for anyone who is hard of hearing, depending on the flight they may not have titles or will need to be able to read the French, as trying to follow instructions in "rap English" isn't simple. I'm surprised the Human Rights Commission hasn't jumped on this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Looking at some of Mr Jones' comments, I hope he hasn't got his videos mixed up...maybe confused with a video you might watch in say, a hotel room?

...I have never heard the F-word more frequently and they're not saying 'first class' Jones said.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:25 pm

I've had the "pleasure" of enduring this 10+ times now.

This comment may not go down well because I'm a foreign blowin to NZ and you might think i'm insulting your culture, but honestly I dont mean to, THIS VIDEO ISNT KIWI!

1. Rap,or RNB, or east\west coast hiphop, whatever, ISNT KIWI, its imitating African American musical culture. Now don't get me wrong, I grew up loving 2PAC, Snoop Dog and a few others, but I would never ever call that type of music Kiwi. Also, to me it sounds exactly like a sample of Run DMCs song, "Its trickaaaay". Or am I trippin?
2. If its supposed to be South\West Auckland culture, OK you've got some links there, but is that really Kiwi culture?
3. I saw two people on horses obviously from down south, yup, that to me looks Kiwi.
4. Randa...hmmm, Kings and Julian OK yeah Kiwi but again just cool kids covering American music right?

I flew Osaka-Auckland this week and I was the only non-Japanese in the J cabin. Their faces were actually hilarious, not a single clue what was going on! Now thats fine and somewhat funny, but what the hell are they going to do in an actual emergency? They have no idea where their lifejackets are and probably where the doors are...its all fun and games until we blow a tyre on landing or have a fast takeofff abort and all need to get off the plane asap, then what?

So sorry Air NZ, I'm totally for celebrating the culture of your wonderful country which has been great to me, but I don't think this video IS your culture, its borrowed American culture, with some south-island horses thrown in. Is what Kiwi? The poor cabin crew's faces said it all...
narvik likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
My conclusion, then, is that those folks you observed were amongst the 20 million that have already viewed the video, or perhaps were watching it on YouTube on their phones......!
Is it hopeful the revenue from all that youtube views could put prawns back on the menu or substitute with crayfish?

Video apparently cost about $2.5m according to industry experts
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/bus...r-safety-video
That is a lot of crayfish.

Something about it on this morning's Breakfast Show
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...t-embarrassing
Not much love for it there.

Jono and Ben skit on Air New Zealand safety video says it nicely.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by poopbunny
Is it hopeful the revenue from all that youtube views could put prawns back on the menu or substitute with crayfish?

Video apparently cost about $2.5m according to industry experts
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/bus...r-safety-video
That is a lot of crayfish.

Something about it on this morning's Breakfast Show
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainmen...t-embarrassing
Not much love for it there.

Jono and Ben skit on Air New Zealand safety video says it nicely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNTwq-zx-k
One of the Stuff comments is actually very amusing, this would cause a problem....
"I presume you can ask an air hostesses to redo the safety briefing after the video if you say you didn’t understand it? I’m sure if just a few people asked, it would disrupt the service to such an extent that the video would be pulled by the end of the day."
narvik, poopbunny and Shamrock55 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:28 pm

Would they not just tell you to read the safety card?
Old Nov 28, 2018, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ps107
Would they not just tell you to read the safety card?
In which case, why bother at all with a video or crew demonstration?

Just telling all pax to read the card may be deemed an insufficient safety briefing.
poopbunny and nancypants like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by brenrox
Looking at some of Mr Jones' comments, I hope he hasn't got his videos mixed up...maybe confused with a video you might watch in say, a hotel room?
I believe the quote was in reference to him hearing the F-word uttered by passengers viewing the video in-flight, not in the actual video itself.

Added: the meaning of the quoted portion above has been brought to my attention. Makes more sense now, lol.

Last edited by narvik; Nov 29, 2018 at 1:12 am
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benrox

Originally Posted by narvik
I believe the quote was in reference to him hearing the F-word uttered by passengers viewing the video in-flight, not in the actual video itself.

narvik - there is a back-story here you may not be aware of (benrox alluded to this):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-scandal.html
narvik likes this.

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Nov 29, 2018 at 1:11 am
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CAA reponse to NZ’s video

“Dear Mr TK,

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns over Air New Zealand’s new safety video.

The CAA has reviewed the new Air New Zealand safety video and confirms that it meets the Civil Aviation Rule requirements for passenger briefing regarding safety and emergency procedures.

It is the operators responsibility to ensure they meet the rule. We do not have a rule that considers the creative aspects of a safety video.

We have taken on board your concerns and appreciate you raising them with us.

Kind regards,

xxxxxx
Cabin Safety Inspector
Air Transport Unit
Air Transport and Airworthiness”
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:32 pm

Similar response here:

"Dear Top of climb

Thank you for contacting us with your concerns over Air New Zealand’s new safety video.

The CAA reviewed the safety video to ensure that it complies with Civil Aviation Rule 91.211. From our review of the new Air New Zealand safety video, we confirm that it meets the Civil Aviation Rule requirements for passenger briefing regarding safety and emergency procedures.

It is the operators responsibility to ensure they meet the rule. At this time we assess the video as meeting the desired safety objective. This takes into account the combination of safety video verbal, visual and written messages, as well as the passenger safety briefing card.

We do not have a rule that considers the creative aspects of a safety video.

We have taken your comments on board and are prepared to review the video afresh with these in mind."
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Top of climb
Similar response here:

"Dear Top of climb

The CAA reviewed the safety video to ensure that it complies with Civil Aviation Rule 91.211. From our review of the new Air New Zealand safety video, we confirm that it meets the Civil Aviation Rule requirements for passenger briefing regarding safety and emergency procedures.

It is the operators responsibility to ensure they meet the rule. At this time we assess the video as meeting the desired safety objective. This takes into account the combination of safety video verbal, visual and written messages, as well as the passenger safety briefing card.

We do not have a rule that considers the creative aspects of a safety video.

We have taken your comments on board and are prepared to review the video afresh with these in mind."
I got exactly the same nonsense reply today
Old Nov 29, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
LOL. I am shocked you guys thought it might actually be in violation of any rules. I am 99.99% sure that Air NZ will get any relevant authorities to give it the A-OK before they actually use it on planes.

If you want to report it out of spite go ahead. If you personally disagree with the rules and think they should be different that is fine. But there was no way that Air NZ was actually in violation of the existing standards/requirements.

As much as I think the video is cringeworthy and hilarious to mock... I feel as though some people are almost personally offended by this. I can safely say as a kiwi, as unkiwi as this is, I don't find it offensive. I just find it embarrassing for Air NZ.
kyanar, Erasmus III and Eltham like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
I got exactly the same nonsense reply today
Nonsense because they didn’t agree with your rant, or because you couldn’t understand their reply?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
LOL. I am shocked you guys thought it might actually be in violation of any rules. I am 99.99% sure that Air NZ will get any relevant authorities to give it the A-OK before they actually use it on planes.

If you want to report it out of spite go ahead. If you personally disagree with the rules and think they should be different that is fine. But there was no way that Air NZ was actually in violation of the existing standards/requirements.

As much as I think the video is cringeworthy and hilarious to mock... I feel as though some people are almost personally offended by this. I can safely say as a kiwi, as unkiwi as this is, I don't find it offensive. I just find it embarrassing for Air NZ.
[HACKLES UP]
Well, you didn't see what I wrote, so please don't make any assumptions on the nature of the points I raised with CAA, and particularly make any assumption that this was done "out of spite" - this makes your own comments irrelevant to a mature discussion on aviation safety.
[/HACKLES]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.