Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New safety video Nov 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:36 pm

I have just emailed the following to the CAA at [email protected]. (The ISI stands for Inward Safety Information). I encourage those of you who dislike the video to also send an email to say that you didn’t understand the safety message in the video - it doesn’t need to be long. If enough complaints are filed, the CAA will have a statutory obligation to act. All complaints are also logged into the CAA’s safety database.

I am writing to notify a safety complaint regarding Air New Zealand’s current safety video.

On [date] I flew Air New Zealand from [origin] to [destination] on board an [aircraft]. The safety video played on board was “Kiwi Safety”. The video was presented in a way which obscured all essential safety messages and did not, in my opinion, adequately inform me of the necessary safety protocols to be obeyed in the event of a emergency. In particular, the safety instructions are buried in an audio track under multiple examples of street slang which is not common knowledge to the majority of the population and is presented to a distracting and difficult to understand cadence (the “rap”), the effect of which is to completely obscure the necessary safety instructions. While there were written subtitles, they were too small to read and because they did not match the distracting audio rap, could not properly be digested. I am a native English speaker.

I do not have any confidence that the video adequately discharges its requirement of informing passengers of the safety obligations and protocols to be followed in the event of emergency. This is especially so given the significant number of foreign passengers carried by Air New Zealand for whom English is not their first language.

The CAA is not Air New Zealand’s marketing arm. It is an agency with statutory responsibility for aviation safety. Given the serious safety deficiencies identified above, it should not have approved this video.

Please confirm that the CAA will start taking its statutory responsibilities seriously by immediately de-certifying the ‘Kiwi Safety’ video for use as a safety demonstration and requiring Air New Zealand to comply with its safety obligations. Safety is not a joke. If the video is not de-certified, and there is an emergency resulting in loss of life or injury to persons, I will rely on this email to show that safety concerns were raised with, and ignored, by the CAA.
Thai-Kiwi, bce1, narvik and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Top of climb; Nov 23, 2018 at 8:02 pm
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
Nice work, I am about to fly twice on NZ today so can’t wait for this rubbish x 2.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by Top of climb
I have just emailed the following to the CAA at [email protected]. (The ISI stands for Inward Safety Information). I encourage those of you who dislike the video to also send an email to say that you didn’t understand the safety message in the video - it doesn’t need to be long. If enough complaints are filed, the CAA will have a statutory obligation to act. All complaints are also logged into the CAA’s safety database.

I am writing to notify a safety complaint regarding Air New Zealand’s current safety video.

On [date] I flew Air New Zealand from [origin] to [destination] on board an [aircraft]. The safety video played on board was “Kiwi Safety”. The video was presented in a way which obscured all essential safety messages and did not, in my opinion, adequately inform me of the necessary safety protocols to be obeyed in the event of a emergency. In particular, the safety instructions are buried in an audio track under multiple examples of street slang which is not common knowledge to the majority of the population and is presented to a distracting and difficult to understand cadence (the “rap”), the effect of which is to completely obscure the necessary safety instructions. While there were written subtitles, they were too small to read and because they did not match the distracting audio rap, could not properly be digested. I am a native English speaker.

I do not have any confidence that the video adequately discharges its requirement of informing passengers of the safety obligations and protocols to be followed in the event of emergency. This is especially so given the significant number of foreign passengers carried by Air New Zealand for whom English is not their first language.

The CAA is not Air New Zealand’s marketing arm. It is an agency with statutory responsibility for aviation safety. Given the serious safety deficiencies identified above, it should not have approved this video.

Please confirm that the CAA will start taking its statutory responsibilities seriously by immediately de-certifying the ‘Kiwi Safety’ video for use as a safety demonstration and requiring Air New Zealand to comply with its safety obligations. Safety is not a joke. If the video is not de-certified, and there is an emergency resulting in loss of life or injury to persons, I will rely on this email to show that safety concerns were raised with, and ignored, by the CAA.
This was fine until the last two paragraphs, where you switched from registering a complaint to threatening emotional commentary. Pity.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:26 pm

Hmm not sure about emotional - I’d accept the last couple of paragraphs are definitely more perojorative - but yeah, didn’t hold back in reminding them of the potential consequences. Please do all email in, with whatever language you feel comfortable. It’ll literally take a minute, shorter than the video, and you can even do it while the safety video is playing!
poopbunny likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:16 pm

The CAA does not approve videos. The act outlines the information required to be provided - it is then up to the operator to comply with these rules.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by waterwingsNZ
The CAA does not approve videos. The act outlines the information required to be provided - it is then up to the operator to comply with these rules.
What is the current process for ensuring compliance with the Rules?

I am aware that old fashioned physical ‘inspections’ have been out of favour for 20+ years, I think replaced with just a ‘paper’ audit of the systems implemented by the Operater.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
I am in China so the YouTube video didn't load, but I was content with just reading the comments.
However, after reading the comments, my interest was piqued enough to fire up the VPN to check out what everyone was so upset about.
UN-BE-LIEVABLE!
All I can say is, that if they REALLY show this video in its entirety on every flight with IFE, you guys and gals have my sincere condolences.

Come mid-December I am certain I will be reading numerous articles on stuff.co.nz about passengers gouging out their eyeballs on various Air New Zealand flights...
ps107 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold
Lol some of you guys need to find something more to worry about. Putting on the official complaint pants because you dislike the video. Its a terrible video agreed but c'mon.
Erasmus III likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Johnnynz
Lol some of you guys need to find something more to worry about. Putting on the official complaint pants because you dislike the video. Its a terrible video agreed but c'mon.
...and after having watched it 40 times in December writes in himself with a complaint.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

We have written in not because we dislike the video per se, but because we believe it's not delivering the required safety information.

I'm not aware of people on here writing in to the CAA before for a AirNZ safety video
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Eltham

This was fine until the last two paragraphs, where you switched from registering a complaint to threatening emotional commentary. Pity.
Hi Eltham, see you'e back with your happy face on....
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Top of climb

Great call, used your template and just sent! thank you
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:13 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by waterwingsNZ
The CAA did raise issues with the surfing video though and warn Air NZ that it distracted from the safety message.

I saw a lot of irony at the time as it was actually a very watchable video that probably had more eyes on it on every flight than many others.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:42 pm

Agree. Surfing one was my favourite. I never got tired of that.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=11701941
I wonder if CAA has the bite to compel AirNZ to do anything.

Kiwi Safety rap by comparison is like watching a clown foreign film with subtitles using nails on chalkboard as background music.

The delusion continues.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...ewers-in-china

Air New Zealand global brand and content marketing manager, Jodi Williams, said the airline has received "terrific feedback from people right across the world".

Last edited by poopbunny; Nov 25, 2018 at 7:04 pm
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by poopbunny

Air New Zealand global brand and content marketing manager, Jodi Williams, said the airline has received "terrific feedback from people right across the world".
When companies have to keep putting out PR to tell people how great something is the reality is it normally isn't.

I still don't understand where their 20 million views are from, YouTube and Facebook combined are still under 3 million, and I can find no source for their 10 million views in China. The only copy of the video I can find on iQiyi (which is a huge platform in China, and ironically Air NZ's IFE partner there) is a poor quality rip. Assuming it is on there somewhere with 10 million view that's still only 13 million views in total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.