Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medication whilst in flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I think it's probably worth adding that you never know what an individual crew and FSM/ISM may do - but it's clearly not policy to do this.

Depending on the product you also need to be aware of Avsec LAG rules.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by catandmouse
I'm diabetic and travel with insulin. When I first started I was a little paranoid about keeping it cool and KiwiJC has hit it on the nail. No flight attendant wants to take responsibility for keeping it in a controlled environment and they will respond that they can't do this. If you are concerned you can use cooling packs, but not freezer packs as they're far too cold.
I recently looked at the warnings on my insulin and it essentially said "store cool, once started maintain at room temperature". These days I just keep in my carryon and store in a fridge as soon as I get to my destination. I've never had it go bad on me. My 2 cents is that the insulin today is a lot more resilient than it used to be.
I too am an insulin-dependent diabetic. However the advice I've been given is that insulin is quite usable up to 30 days outside a fridge (assuming "outside" isn't actually tropical). The ice-pack bag I use (sold by Diabetes NSW) is intended for the suitcase where it lasts for around 24 hours. I just take my insulin and needles in my carry-on baggage and I've never been challenged by security anywhere
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:19 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by RTWFF
. I just take my insulin and needles in my carry-on baggage and I've never been challenged by security anywhere
I've had a similar experience with sumatriptan injections and have never been asked about them on either domestic or international flights, so far...
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:25 am

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by RTWFF
I too am an insulin-dependent diabetic. However the advice I've been given is that insulin is quite usable up to 30 days outside a fridge (assuming "outside" isn't actually tropical).
I think as noted above, the more 'modern' varieties of insulin are much more resilient to room temperature - I got advised the same when I changed my treatment regime a few years ago which is definitely much more convenient!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 5:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP has not said that the drug is insulin. The specific requirements for drugs may differ even between insulins. Thus, generalized advice about how to store one's own drug may not apply to the ext person.

The specific information should be available on both the package insert and the manufacturer's website. One can also go to secondary sources such as one's physician, but a careful physician will just look up the information as well.

Ice packs especially may be a very bad idea, especially if they come into direct contact with the drug. Similarly, counting on the air carrier itself for anything is a bad idea because it may not materialize.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.