Booking r/t Lax-MEL-LAX: 2 RT?

Old Nov 2, 2018, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Booking r/t Lax-MEL-LAX: 2 RT?

In general is it less expensive to book LAX-MEL-LAX by booking R/t LAX-AKL-LAX and then a second R/t AKL-MEL-AKL? I have had limited access on my computer to NZ flights available from AKL-Mel-AKL and even fewer choices as to cost. I was not able to book PY LAX-MEL and a return in Y. The AI would allow me to book it--just not at a reduced rate. It would have been much simpler to book two R/T tickets, but I am not sure (because I cannot see all that is available) if it would have saved any money doing it this way. Thank you for your insights. They are always much appreciated.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:17 pm

Ive just done a test on the main NZ website (Desktop computer) and I can easily select Y out an PY back.... For a random week in March it was about USD$1500 rtn for that mixed cabin fare...I very much doubt you'll KNOW you won't save money with 2 separate bookings!

P.S. For those same dates it was only USD$100 less to fly LAX-AKL rtn than LAX-AKL-MEL.rtn… (PY out Y back as indicated) AND at least AUD$650 for the AKL-MEL-AKL...and THAT is Economy. PY for that is AUD $1000! Buy it as one ticket! LOL

Last edited by trooper; Nov 2, 2018 at 6:23 pm
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alpenrose
In general is it less expensive to book LAX-MEL-LAX by booking R/t LAX-AKL-LAX and then a second R/t AKL-MEL-AKL?

I have had limited access on my computer to NZ flights available from AKL-Mel-AKL and even fewer choices as to cost. I was not able to book PY LAX-MEL and a return in Y.

The AI would allow me to book it--just not at a reduced rate. It would have been much simpler to book two R/T tickets, but I am not sure (because I cannot see all that is available) if it would have saved any money doing it this way.

Thank you for your insights. They are always much appreciated.
No correct or incorrect answer. It does vary a lot day to day.

Home carriers are often more expensive.
Such as QF offering cheaper LAX-SYD/MEL-AKL return than Air NZ LAX-AKL return.
Or NZ offering cheaper LAX-AKL-SYD return than QF LAX-SYD return. Air NZ target Aust long haul travellers.

If a LAX-MEL return and then a MEL-AKL return as separate ticket there are transfer risks and possible passport/immigration issues.
Aust-NZ route is very competitive with many airlines flying the routes. including some airlines not based in Aust NZ (CI, EK, LA, SQ and more)

If a LAX-MEL return and a MEL-AKL return as one ticket/PNR the transfer risk it with the airline and usually less passport/immigration issues.

UA & AA also fly LAX AKL , as does Air NZ
QF VA UA, DL & AA fly LAX SYD

Other threads by OP on this trip (their are more)
OP seems to be over thinking this trip.
If the flights have been booked no need to look at other possibilities.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 2, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Old Nov 2, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
It is not unusual to find NZ fares to Melbourne that will make it the same price or cheaper to fly there return than it is to fly just to Auckland return from LAX. If you don't have to buy right away, wait for a sale.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Other threads by OP on this trip (their are more)
OP seems to be over thinking this trip.
If the flights have been booked no need to look at other possibilities.
  • Thank you for your help--it is always appreciated. I don't understand why asking questions is "over thinking". It has been several years since we traveled to MEL and AKL. The AI program on NZ and QF makes my choices very limited, in particular I have not been able to get the PY going out and the y coming back for less than than the cost of a R/T PY. I did have it on my screen for approximately $3300. Then I went to get my credit card and when I came back to my computer the message on the screen said my time was up. I went through the process of starting at the beginning and I could not get the Y return to show up for less than the full PY R/T. I shut down my computer and started from scratch again and this time it showed a quote of $6,000. I am sorry if too many questions causes you concern. Can't help but feel as if I am being monitored ? I am always grateful for the time and concern given by the folks here.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: NZ Silver A3 Gold Qantas Gold Accor Platinum
I see on the AIRNZ USA site they currently have LAX/SFO/ORD to various Australian cities for around US $1000 return.

I often book one-way to US from NZ and the return on the US site to Adelaide or Melbourne with a stopover in Auckland as often cheaper that US to Auckland. I do this as have family in Melbourne and Adelaide so only have to book a return back to NZ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.