Search

Dinner guest in business class

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold, Cathay Silver, CO OnePass
Dinner guest in business class

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer is going to be "no" but thought I'd ask anyway. I am flying business from SFO to AKL in a few weeks and have a colleague who is flying economy on the same flight.

With the setup of the Air New Zealand business seat you can have someone "join you" for dinner. Would I be permitted to bring my friend up from economy to sit with me for dinner or even just for a chat?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
No and no (well, extremely unlikely). If every J pax did that, well.....just imagine
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Nope.
24left likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
My Wife and I decided to do the face-to-face dining on our HKG-AKL flight (we were both in biz) and the crew were delighted - they said hardly anyone does that. The ottoman is not recommended for seating much longer than the meal service. You are very much perched on the edge of it. However, it was a pleasant change.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:55 pm

What food would you expect him to be served? Just curious.....
BearX220 and 24left like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
My Wife and I decided to do the face-to-face dining on our HKG-AKL flight (we were both in biz) and the crew were delighted - they said hardly anyone does that. The ottoman is not recommended for seating much longer than the meal service. You are very much perched on the edge of it. However, it was a pleasant change.
I take it that you were both ticketed in J. That is the crux of OP's question.
24left likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Why would you think someone could have access to a service they didn’t buy? Y pax cannot even use J bathrooms!
24left likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold, Cathay Silver, CO OnePass
I guested as much
Old Nov 1, 2018, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe if there is a spare seat, you will be permitted to join your colleague in Y and be served the Y meal.
24left and LondonElite like this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Often1
Maybe if there is a spare seat, you will be permitted to join your colleague in Y and be served the Y meal.
I think that is an unreasonable suggestion - crew are busy enough at meal time, without expecting them to serve a Y meal if you are seated somewhere else. And it would not be a good look for a passenger to carry their own meal through that cabins.

J pax have paid a lot of money to not be disturbed by non-J passengers.

[disclosure I am usually a Y passenger]
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by jeffrocowboy
I think that is an unreasonable suggestion - crew are busy enough at meal time, without expecting them to serve a Y meal if you are seated somewhere else. And it would not be a good look for a passenger to carry their own meal through that cabins.

J pax have paid a lot of money to not be disturbed by non-J passengers.

[disclosure I am usually a Y passenger]
I wouldn’t say people fly J not to be disturbed by non-J. We are for the most part all Kiwis on air NZ (well at least 75% of the people I chat too in J are).

I usualy fly J when I’m going long hall (which thankfully nowadays is only ~4x a year) as I want some rest because usually go in to work within a couple of hours of arriving even if been traveling best part of 24h.

That’s for the most part what business class is.

(i doubt anyone would fly J just for the food- you can buy a lot of very nice restaurant dinner meals for the difference in one flight)
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
No and no (well, extremely unlikely). If every J pax did that, well.....just imagine
"Dogs and cats living together!"
debh likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:18 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I wouldn’t say people fly J not to be disturbed by non-J.
I might be the exception but that is the exact reason why I fly J? But point here is not about non-J , rather it is not to be disturbed at all.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by wackyflyer
(i doubt anyone would fly J just for the food- you can buy a lot of very nice restaurant dinner meals for the difference in one flight)
Particularly the J food NZ serves.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by poopbunny
Particularly the J food NZ serves.
The food I had on AKL-SFO and LAX-AKL last week was seriously underwhelming. The Impossible Burger was the only standout.

Only a single starter now, and with prawns now off the air NZ menu and salmon seemingly gone you can't afford to be fussy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.