UA 916

Old Nov 7, 18, 12:51 am

Programs: NZ*G
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
Well, perhaps not.

Maybe NZ to the Excited States of America is just that much better in Y, so as to allow people choice. OP asked an interesting question, and it would be interesting to be able to survey pax as to why they would fly NZ over UA, even if UA was cheaper and the cabin was empty.

P.S. While flying NZ to and from AKL is awesome, flying via the U.S. is not. The NZ flight from YVR is expensive and so on.
Whenever I've checked UA website for comparison in the past, it comes back with ridiculous $8-12,000 return economy fares to Europe/UK. As an experiment, I just did a search for AKL-SFO and the cheapest result on their website comes back as codeshare NZ via LAX
Old Nov 8, 18, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by sopwith7 View Post
UA916 and 917 definitely fill up in Y over the holidays. I've flown 916 in Y and those seats are tiny. The plane was absolutely brand new at the time, but it was still a very tight squeeze with poor food and drink options. NZ is a better option all over the plane (except true Polaris I'm assuming) unless you're completely assured of open seats either side of you.
Air NZ and UA are both 10-abreast? I don't see how the seats can be any different in size.
Old Nov 9, 18, 3:06 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by backfiah View Post
Air NZ and UA are both 10-abreast? I don't see how the seats can be any different in size.
Reviewing the seating information for both, in Economy, Air NZ gives an extra 2" of pitch (in most seats) and just under 2" of extra recline as well. I suspect that'd feel like a fairly big difference between the two, even though the seat width is pretty much the same.

Sources:
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/seat-map-boeing-777-300
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx
Old Nov 9, 18, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, NH, DL, AA, GE/Nexus, APEC..
UA does not ot have an option for a Skycouch. Even if additional cost, some Y pax may prefer to pay that and have some comfort AKL-SFO/LAX etc.

I saw quite a number of people on the A side of NZ 284 on their Skycouch. On UA 916, with that "200 empty seats" and thus completely open cabins, very few people actually took advantage of the free "Y lie-flats" as I call them. It was weird. For the better part of 12 hours, they could have slept sort-of-sideways.

(One one particular AC B789 YVR-TPE, the Y cabin was also almost empty and when I took a walk, almost everyone back there took a row of seats and made their own beds.)

And then there is that thing called service and food. NZ vs UA ?

It isn't always about inches.
Old Nov 21, 18, 2:56 pm

Programs: ANZ Gold, Qantas
Hi All,
I'm booked on UA916 next week, and I've noticed that my ticket suggests a weight restriction of 5kg on carry on bags.
Is this correct? And if so, do they actually weigh bags?
Being NZ *A Gold I'm hoping there won't be an issue...I welcome your wisdom
Old Nov 21, 18, 3:46 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jarwai View Post
Hi All,
I'm booked on UA916 next week, and I've noticed that my ticket suggests a weight restriction of 5kg on carry on bags.
Is this correct? And if so, do they actually weigh bags?
Being NZ *A Gold I'm hoping there won't be an issue...I welcome your wisdom
Sounds like a question you should ask in the United forum, not here.

Departing AKL, airport staff do conduct 'random' carry on bag weight checks. No idea what happens at the gate.
UA's link on carry-on is here https://www.united.com/cms/en-US/tra...ecarry-on.aspx
Old Nov 21, 18, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Sounds like a question you should ask in the United forum, not here.

Departing AKL, airport staff do conduct 'random' carry on bag weight checks. No idea what happens at the gate.
UA's link on carry-on is here https://www.united.com/cms/en-US/tra...ecarry-on.aspx
Thanks, I'll ask there too.
The united link has no weight specifications, only size. The tendency of AKL staff to weigh bags is what has me wondering

Last edited by jarwai; Nov 21, 18 at 3:49 pm Reason: more info
Old Nov 21, 18, 4:05 pm

Thanks, I'll ask there too.
The united link has no weight specifications, only size. The tendency of AKL staff to weigh bags is what has me wondering
Just show your NZ Gold card and say you are allowed more. Not sure what authority those carry-on screening folks actually have and to what standard they checking against.
Old Nov 21, 18, 4:06 pm

Just show your NZ Gold card and say you are allowed more. Not sure what authority those carry-on screening folks actually have and to what standard they checking against.
Will do.
Thanks!
Old Nov 21, 18, 4:12 pm

It seems UA has just a size specification and no weight limit. Remarkable. You could print that out.

Also maybe print the Air NZ Gold carry-on allowance:
Allowance
•Economy fares get one carry-on bag plus one small item, like a handbag or thin laptop.
•Premium Economy, Business Premier, connecting Business Premier, and Airpoints™ Gold, Elite and Star Alliance Gold members get two bags plus one small item.

Weight
•Economy carry-on can weigh up to 7kg (15lb).
•Premium Economy, Business Premier, connecting Business Premier, and Airpoints™ Gold, Elite and Star Alliance Gold members' carry-on can weigh up to 14kg (30lb) total, with one item weighing up to 10kg (22lb).
jarwai likes this.
Old Nov 21, 18, 6:40 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
It seems UA has just a size specification and no weight limit. Remarkable. You could print that out.
Correct. This is why most UA frequent flyers are mystified by the NZ/QF carry-on limits.

I have not had a problem at AKL taking a "US-sized" 22" ~15kg carry-on through security and onto the aircraft, regardless of operator.
jarwai likes this.
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by ajnz View Post
Correct. This is why most UA frequent flyers are mystified by the NZ/QF carry-on limits.

I have not had a problem at AKL taking a "US-sized" 22" ~15kg carry-on through security and onto the aircraft, regardless of operator.
Thanks, that's the kind of experience I was hoping someone would relate. I'll pack as I usually do then :-)
Old Nov 25, 18, 11:02 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
This used to happen at the entrance to departure immigration at AKL. I haven't seen or experienced it in the months since the new departure immigration and security area opened up.
Old Nov 29, 18, 10:15 am

Quick update on my question. I flew with no dramas at all. No questions at check in, and no one else showed any interest in my carryon. Someone seated near me had what appears to be a medium sized hiking packing in the overhead bin, so I probably could have gotten away with a lot more.

With reference to the Original point of this thread, it seems these flights have started to fill up: at check in AKL, the kiosk was asking for volunteers to be bumped to a later flight as my one was apparently full. While it was indeed well packed, the spare seat next to me in Y indicates that either a bunch of people didn't show up, or they automatically start asking once their sales reach a certain threshold?
Old Nov 29, 18, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, 1MM, NH, DL, AA, GE/Nexus, APEC..
Quick update on my question. I flew with no dramas at all. No questions at check in, and no one else showed any interest in my carryon. Someone seated near me had what appears to be a medium sized hiking packing in the overhead bin, so I probably could have gotten away with a lot more.

With reference to the Original point of this thread, it seems these flights have started to fill up: at check in AKL, the kiosk was asking for volunteers to be bumped to a later flight as my one was apparently full. While it was indeed well packed, the spare seat next to me in Y indicates that either a bunch of people didn't show up, or they automatically start asking once their sales reach a certain threshold?
And yet, there were 200 empty in just coach alone on my UA 916.

Supply. Demand. Time of year. Fares. All manner of reasons. And airlines oversell. Some airlines oversell all cabins, some only oversell the back because they can always move so,some with status to a higher cabin. Revenue management is a fascinating thing.

And maybe, UA was full with those who could not get a seat on the NZ flight.

Search this Thread