Wiki Posts
Search

Air Nelson and Mt Cook Airlines - Why?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Air Nelson and Mt Cook Airlines - Why?

Hi all,

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why Air New Zealand uses Air Nelson and Mt Cook Airlines on their regional routes? Seems rather odd considering they effectively operate as mainline NZ flights for all intents and purposes.

Thanks in advance and enjoy your weekends
Old Oct 25, 2018, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by AKL to the World
Hi all,

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why Air New Zealand uses Air Nelson and Mt Cook Airlines on their regional routes? Seems rather odd considering they effectively operate as mainline NZ flights for all intents and purposes.

Thanks in advance and enjoy your weekends
I’m not sure but I wonder whether it is to isolate each operational unit in the case of any airworthiness issue/investigation and/or to isolate them to allow them to more easily offer different employment terms/agreements.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Because they're not Air NZ.

There are a myriad of reasons including those mentioned above. They're the very same reasons why so many airlines globally do the same thing including all the big US airlines and even Qantas and Virgin in this part of the world.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:40 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
They are wholy owned NZ subsidiaries unlike the UA Express guys who are contractors. They are very much NZ. They exist probably so NZ can pay these employees less.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:59 pm

Yep, just like Qantas use Jetconnect to employ their trans tasman crew under Kiwi employment conditions and ZK registered aircraft.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Shamrock55
Yep, just like Qantas use Jetconnect to employ their trans tasman crew under Kiwi employment conditions and ZK registered aircraft.
Qantas haven't had ZK registered aircraft for probably a year now. They're all mainline Qantas.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Qantas haven't had ZK registered aircraft for probably a year now. They're all mainline Qantas.
There are currently two stilled ZK registered (ZK-ZQG and ZK-ZQH) https://www.caa.govt.nz/script/air-m...?Model_ID=1769 although wont be around much longer.
AKL to the World likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:31 am

Whilst the Kiwi based aircraft are disappearing Jetconnect the NZ based company who employs NZ staff won't. In the last couple of months, I've even had Jetconnect crew on long haul flights from Australia to Asia.
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:36 pm

Ah right, didnt know the ZK fleet were changing, so does that mean they are being retired and replaced with mainline birds? Or just re-registered? They sure do feel old now.

EDIT: OK found this : https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...07-p4yxh6.html

Seems just a more efficient use of those aircraft that would otherwise be sitting on the ground. So no, new IFE or seats

Last edited by Shamrock55; Nov 28, 2018 at 12:32 am
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by henrus
Whilst the Kiwi based aircraft are disappearing Jetconnect the NZ based company who employs NZ staff won't. In the last couple of months, I've even had Jetconnect crew on long haul flights from Australia to Asia.
Jetconnent cabin crew have been doing long haul for some time (which seems like a particular wheeze since there are no long haul routes from AKL so they deadhead to Australia and then do flights). Flight crew have only been doing TT and I don’t anticipate this changing any time soon. The pilot’s union in Australia wasn’t having a bar of it when the planes were re-registered to VH

mt cook/air Nelson is primarily for reduced pay and also to make seniority easier to manage. And also to prevent a mass exodus of link pilots to mainline
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by henrus
Ah right, didnt know the ZK fleet were changing, so does that mean they are being retired and replaced with mainline birds? Or just re-registered? They sure do feel old now.
As post 7, QF (Jetconnect) NZ rego aircraft have/are being re registered in Australia (VH rego).
One rego transfer was done 25/10/2018 (~4 weeks ago)
They are not that old compared to others in the QF fleet

Links
https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/...ory-b737ng.htm
https://www.airfleets.net/flottecie/...antas%20NZ.htm
Sample https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/p...37ng-34204.htm
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:38 am

Yeah I know they're not that old, but with some of QFs domestic 737s having the Sky interior I thought maybe we'd get them coming to Wellington.

Nevermind, i ended up moving all my work travel to AirNZ to focus on status with one airline so i'm not likely to see them TT again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.