Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Westpac Airpoints Platinum Mastercard - Extended Warranty Insurance Benefit

Old Oct 12, 18, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, and former *G

Our new LG Television has just started randomly making volume changes all on it's own. I checked the warranty and it was 12 months from LG. Great I thought until I found the purchase invoice and discovered the TV was 3 weeks outside the manufacturers warranty period - Murphy's Law!

So, having made the purchase on my Airpoints Mastercard I referred to the card policy which extends that for 12 more months. They have an 0800 number to call which I will do on Monday.

In the meantime the question I have is: Has anyone experienced claiming under the extended warranty cover? Experiences good or bad?

In fairness I have always found the 'complimentary' platinum card travel insurance to be a good product., so not quite sure why I am uncertain about the extended warranty cover (probably as I am distrustful of extended warranty offers fullstop, as well as distrustful generally also of insurance coy's).

Last edited by ottiehund; Oct 12, 18 at 3:36 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 12, 18, 3:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by ottiehund View Post
Our new LG Television has just started randomly making volume changes all on it's own. I checked the warranty and it was 12 months from LG. Great I thought until I found the purchase invoice and discovered the TV was 3 weeks outside the manufacturers warranty period - Murphy's Law!

So, having made the purchase on my Airpoints Mastercard I referred to the card policy which extends that for 12 more months. They have an 0800 number to call which I will do on Monday.

In the meantime the question is has anyone experienced claiming n the extended warranty cover? Experiences good or bad?

In fairness I have always found the 'complimentary' platinum card travel insurance to be a good product., so not quits sure why I am uncertain about the extended warranty cover (probably as I am distrustful of extended warrant offers fullstop, as well as distrustful generally also of insurance coy's).
If the insurance route does not work out ...

My understanding is that is not the manufacturers warranty that is important in these instances. The Consumer Guarantees Act requires goods sold to be fit for purpose. There is no way a TV can be reasonably be expected to last only just over 12 months before developing a fault, therefore you are on strong grounds. I believe you have recall to the retailer for selling you a faulty product - they can repair or replace at their discretion. And I am pretty sure replace means replace with new, not with refurbished product as Apple is known to do/try.

And yes you are right, extend warranties should not be trusted in general. You'd be better to save your money and invoke a small claims tribunal hearing if retailer does not come to the party under the GCA.
Old Oct 13, 18, 1:20 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by ottiehund View Post
In the meantime the question I have is: Has anyone experienced claiming under the extended warranty cover? Experiences good or bad?
I haven't claimed extended warranty, but have claimed the 90 day purchase protection for accidental damage (twice - laptop screen and phone rear glass). The experience was painless and they only required a quote from the manufacturer for the quote of repair, they approved it and I just paid for the repair on my card, they reimbursed it in about 2 days.

The call centre were hopeless don't even bother. Eventually I found my way to this page and filled in the form and sent it through to the email listed.
It took roughly a day before the case was assigned to somebody, from there the guy I dealt with was prompt, replying to emails within usually 30 minutes.

Again as per the comment above, if you purchased from a big box store, ask for the manager (or franchisee at Harvey Norman) and mention the words "Consumer guarantees act" you should get some action.
ottiehund likes this.
Old Oct 13, 18, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, and former *G
Thanks Jeffrocowboy and dgnz for your replies - I purchased from Smiths City (I am regional Sth Is and they are well regarded down here and we have purchased quite a bit off them over the years so hopefully they may be happy to accommodate us) so I think the plan will be to go and see them first (and gauge their response when mentioning CGA etc), otherwise thanks dgnz for the link to the AIG claim page, and pleased to hear of your positive claims experience which helps my sceptical outlook!
Old Oct 13, 18, 10:09 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
You're fully covered by the CGA. The fact the warranty has just expired is irrelevant.
Old Oct 13, 18, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Let’s see what they say today, I guess I was looking for the path of least resistance which I figured was likely to be the extended warranty, but I won’t tell Smiths about that and will be interesting to find what they are prepared to offer.
Old Oct 13, 18, 3:38 pm

Programs: NZ*S, GHA Gold
I recently had a problem with some Bose QC35's just a few months after the 1 year warranty expired. I simply emailed the retailer, explained the problem and said:
Whilst they may be outside of the Bose 1 year warranty, I would have expected to have them be sufficiently durable to last significantly longer than just under a year and four months based on the purchase price paid (Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 Section 6 / Section 7 (1)(e)).
Could you please confirm what you will do to remedy the situation based on my rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993.
I couple of days later I got a full refund of the original purchase price.
ottiehund and jeffrocowboy like this.
Old Nov 7, 18, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Update - if anyone is interested, and for the benefit of those who contributed advice (thank you).

As suggested, we ended up going to the retailer before seeking to claim on the insurance. They were good about it and despite being outside the manufacturers warranty by a few weeks now they referred us straight to their designated repairer.

We took the TV set in there this week and they diagnosed a fault which they referred back to LG who agreed to cover the repair, and did so without any issues or delays.

The upshot being that I still have no experience with our CC insurers, which is what the initial thread was supposed to be about. But I guess that is a good thing.

As an aside the TV needs a new 'main board', so essentially the brains of the thing as I understand it, and likely to be a somewhat expensive repair had we needed to pay for it!

Last edited by ottiehund; Nov 7, 18 at 4:47 pm Reason: sp
Old Nov 7, 18, 11:02 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-WP
Originally Posted by Trumpkin View Post
I recently had a problem with some Bose QC35's just a few months after the 1 year warranty expired. I simply emailed the retailer, explained the problem and said:

I couple of days later I got a full refund of the original purchase price.
Thats probably because Bose are really good at replacing their product, rather than the retailer !!