Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Access to NZ Lounges - Card not in booking

Old Oct 11, 18, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & More, Executive Club

Hi!

I recently made a booking using my Lufthansa points on Air New Zealand between SYD and CHC. I do not have status with Lufthansa but am a Singapore Airlines Gold Elite member so I called Air New Zealand to add this number to the booking so that I could get the Star Gold benefits such as better seat selection, fast track and lounge access. Unfortunately as it was a reward booking with Lufthansa they cannot change the frequent flyer number in the booking - I also tried on the website and similarly it wouldn't let me.

My question is, will Air New Zealand allow me access to their lounge at SYD by simply presenting my Krisflyer Gold card? Or does it have to be in the booking? The agent on the phone seemed to think it had to be in my booking.

It's all very confusing! Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 18, 6:57 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold, Hilton Gold
Given recent changes to the policy around Lounge Access, you may potentially get turned down by AirNZ for access in Sydney. The thread on this is here with all the various discussion on this: Denied Lounge Access without *G on Ticket

With that in mind though, if AirNZ turns you down, the Singapore Airlines Lounge is right next door to the AirNZ one. In my opinion the Singapore lounge typically has better food and is less crowded (it's also far better than the KF lounges at Changi). They will not have any issue with granting you access if you present your KF*G card despite it not being on the ticket.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Oct 11, 18, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & More, Executive Club
Originally Posted by KiwiJC View Post
Given recent changes to the policy around Lounge Access, you may potentially get turned down by AirNZ for access in Sydney. The thread on this is here with all the various discussion on this: Denied Lounge Access without *G on Ticket

With that in mind though, if AirNZ turns you down, the Singapore Airlines Lounge is right next door to the AirNZ one. In my opinion the Singapore lounge typically has better food and is less crowded (it's also far better than the KF lounges at Changi). They will not have any issue with granting you access if you present your KF*G card despite it not being on the ticket.
Hello! Thank you for your response. So, the situation is... unclear! On the link you provided I saw a similar situation where someone booked a reward redemption so couldn't change their frequent flyer number - however during check-in they were able to update it so I guess I will have to wait until then.

Based on my experience of the NZ lounge at AKL, it might be better to use the SQ lounge at SYD! Or engage in a little lounge hopping ;-).

Thanks again!
Old Oct 11, 18, 1:48 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
That was a ticket booked with NZ though. Your ticket is with LH, so NZ won't touch it.
Old Oct 14, 18, 11:21 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Silver (VA), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
I've never had a problem simply showing my UA*G card irrespective of the airline whose FF programme I am crediting with the points. However I'm on a VA flight ex-Sydney to Auckland in November (in J Class) so it will be interesting to see if Air NZ carries the "divorce" over to lounge access as well. No announcement yet on the VA site
Old Oct 15, 18, 8:17 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by RTWFF View Post
I've never had a problem simply showing my UA*G card irrespective of the airline whose FF programme I am crediting with the points. However I'm on a VA flight ex-Sydney to Auckland in November (in J Class) so it will be interesting to see if Air NZ carries the "divorce" over to lounge access as well. No announcement yet on the VA site
You will not get NZ lounge access after the end of October. That's 100% guaranteed so I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise.

VA still haven't announced what (if any) lounges will replace NZ lounges where they use them both in NZ and in AU.
Old Oct 15, 18, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
You will not get NZ lounge access after the end of October. That's 100% guaranteed so I'm not sure why you'd think otherwise.

VA still haven't announced what (if any) lounges will replace NZ lounges where they use them both in NZ and in AU.
Not sure why you'd say it's 100% guaranteed. VA may continue to pay NZ for leased access to the lounge while sorting out alternative arrangements.

It's also possible they split pax between the Etihad First for J pax and Silver Kris for Gold/Plat customers.
Old Oct 15, 18, 4:23 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
Not sure why you'd say it's 100% guaranteed. VA may continue to pay NZ for leased access to the lounge while sorting out alternative arrangements.

It's also possible they split pax between the Etihad First for J pax and Silver Kris for Gold/Plat customers.
AirNZ has to accept the money as well. Given the Akl international lounge issues of the school holidays, every way to have less people in the lounge is a win. Given the peak VA flights will line up with the peak lounge usage.

Also given the QF domestic lounge stuff and code share, I suspect there may also be a handshake agreement to freeze VA out. And it is well known that VA and NZ do not see eye to eye.

Also other than money what is NZ going to get out of this arrangement? Before the divorce they were getting access to the Aussie domestic market and lounges through the partnership, which offered NZ pax something when they had to make the decision if flying NZ vs QF.
Old Oct 16, 18, 6:29 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post

....and now they have, as expected, they're moving away from NZ Lounges which can only be a good thing:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-aust...tm_source=hero

I wonder where the VA Lounge is going in at Wellington International?
Old Oct 17, 18, 12:52 am

....and now they have, as expected, they're moving away from NZ Lounges which can only be a good thing:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-aust...tm_source=hero

I wonder where the VA Lounge is going in at Wellington International?
Curiously, it says VA pax flying from airports with SQ lounges use the SilverKris Lounge, not the Krisflyer Gold lounge. Surely that's wrong?!?
Old Oct 17, 18, 1:46 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by kyanar View Post
Curiously, it says VA pax flying from airports with SQ lounges use the SilverKris Lounge, not the Krisflyer Gold lounge. Surely that's wrong?!?
There's no entry in the table for Departing from Singapore though, which is the only location that has KrisFlyer Gold lounges (as far as I am aware), I'd guess this is because the lounge arrangement there is unaffected by the NZ-VA split.

he people flying out of Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane are in for the same disappointing Gold Lounge as usual when they return from Singapore.
Old Oct 17, 18, 2:15 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
There's no entry in the table for Departing from Singapore though, which is the only location that has KrisFlyer Gold lounges (as far as I am aware), I'd guess this is because the lounge arrangement there is unaffected by the NZ-VA split.

he people flying out of Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane are in for the same disappointing Gold Lounge as usual when they return from Singapore.
Right. SIN is the only airport (and T3 the only terminal) with a Kris Flyer Gold lounge. At every other airport where there is an SQ lounge it is a Silver Kris lounge (and at some airports also a first class lounge).
Old Oct 17, 18, 11:07 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
Right. SIN is the only airport (and T3 the only terminal) with a Kris Flyer Gold lounge. At every other airport where there is an SQ lounge it is a Silver Kris lounge (and at some airports also a first class lounge).
Believe there is an SQ Gold lounge at SIN T2 as well which was where the old SATS lounge was I think.